Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Symbolic Butt posted:

so Kaiji went down and readjusted the net I guess?

Hyoudou casually being an insensitive jerk in the flashback was funny as poo poo

They are making a money cushion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Symbolic Butt posted:

guys I'm not sure about the physics of this

Remember when Kaiji tilted a building to win at pachinko?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mary Annette posted:

Hoping against hope Kazuya’s brother grew up to be a stable and hardworking investment banker with no interest in psychotic murdergambles.

Actually, he's the black sheep of the family and he grew up to be a stable and hardworking murderer with no interest in
investment banking

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 11, 2018

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just can't imagining surviving in a first world country only brining home $300 a month. Hell even the other job he talked about was only $5.74 on average if it was a 40 hour a day job (it's really 60). It only makes sense to me if its mostly a bunch of kids living at home trying to work for two years or so before becoming a freelance professional where they can earn a living pay.

It seems that there is a price to pay for a country to be able to produce so much animation.

Animators in Japan subsist on a diet of instant ramen and good wishes. It is 100% a passion thing for plenty of them and, as such, are terribly exploited. Same deal for manga assistants and the like.

And many are definitely not kids.

I still remember when SNK (the video game company) was hiring people to help with their sprites. Mind you, this was for a video game so the sprites have to be of much higher quality than your typical anime and yet the salary was lower than what you would get working at a convenience store. But you get to say you drew Terry Bogard!

In the pop team epic thread there is a link to an interview about the development of the show where they mention how expensive it was to get actual French voice actresses (this is not expensive by any actual means). Anime is real thrifty.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 13, 2018

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

This all sounds terrible.

Well, that's because it is terrible. And as long as there is profit to be made on the upper levels it'll continue without many changes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

Lmao Kaiji is going to become a loving lunatic like Hyodou in the end right

going to?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CodfishCartographer posted:

Mario's going to get TOO drunk, isn't he?

Nah, with all those gyoza he's going to get sodium poisoning .

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

So gyoza is called chinese food in Japan? I've always thought of it as a specifically Japanese presentation but I guess the basis of the dish came from china.

They are called Jiaozi in China (giǎoze in some mandarin dialects) so you can see where the japanese name came from.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Eight-Six posted:

just that it's ugly. i am basing saying this off of attempts to get others into akagi/kaiji and having been told "it's ugly." and when i hear that it's like "yeah you kinda right" because come on. it's awkwardly, consistently angular. all spikes and sharp angles. that's part of what most is amazing about his earlier art, watching the 80s vibe melt and become what's so striking now. the gambling world a'int friend shaped and the art reflects that and that's cool,

and still ugly

Honestly? It ain't ugly. Eye of the beholder and all that poo poo. Ugly to me would be something like, dunno, Baki.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In any case Chusuke is hosed. hosed!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dipwood posted:

I finished Ten and I can't believe a manga ended like this.

Mangas with good, proper endings are rare indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

Also good loving lord why didn't Kaiji just told her that they do WFH lol

AS if a granny will listen to whatever a clear good-for-nothing criminal like him says.