Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I've been catching up and got to 500th chapter of Kaiji and the big showcase of veteran artists congratulating Fukumoto was really wholesome. He really is the mangaka's mangaka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

People in this world got flip phones so at this point it's likely the mid 90s.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

Individual Teiai employees are often quite bright, with clever plans and decent backups.

It's just that Teiai collectively forms a culture that can't learn from its mistakes, and that tends to get convinced it's unstoppable right up until they screw up, at which point all the collective blindspots that no-one bothered to correct come together to make for a total disaster of idiocy.

They're extremely toxic to their subordinates which creates a Yes-Man culture which contributes to the brass thinking they are infallible. The underlings are so scared of failure that they will only do what they're told and never think outside the box or try to deviate in any way. Like you said, all these people aren't really morons but they convinced themselves they are by the verbal and physical harassment.

Fukomoto mangas are so painful to read on a weekly or monthly basis... so little happens per chapter, but if you read 10 at once, they fly by and you don't feel like each chapter is dragging things out, because you're getting the full picture.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I've watched all of Akagi and I still don't know how to play Mahjong. The problem is they play some Japanese version that has a bunch of extra rules? Regular Mahjong doesn't have this "Riichi" thing.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

What cost? Drawing like this is clearly comfortable to him and allows him to churn out chapters at his own pace. He's created a recognizable aesthetic across his work. He's actually a really good artist. I think he made some 'normal' looking anime drawings once.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

That's because Ten's art is bad. Kaiji's art is good.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Kaiji's a terrible judge of character. His downward spirals resulted from having trust in people who betrayed him. Chang and Mario seem like the first people to truly have his back in his entire life.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

One Poker question - Who had betting priority if the previous round was a tie? I don't remember if any actual ties happened. I assume whoever had it before still has it in the next round?

dipwood fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 5, 2022

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

Every single person who works at Teiai is just the dumbest motherfucker imaginable

These guys in particular are debtors so they're even dumber than the Teiai people.

Also, I re-read all of the One Poker arc, and there were a couple ties, back to back. But yeah the rules in this case were as predicted; priority (and card dealing order) didn't change. Going back, I was really impressed by Kaiji's deductive reasoning skills to find that Kazuya cheated. When I read it back, I thought it would tie into the 2nd time he had played two aces in a row, but Kaiji seems to think that was legit. I'm sure the goon would have mentioned that Kazuya had cheated if he did it back then as well. Also, with there only being 3 aces in that tray, it makes me think it was legit as well. Kazuya would have had no reason to open the 3-hole tray just to replace his aces in the upper tray. Plus, with how awkward his first use of the cheat ace was, realizing that he had to swap the cards out, it also makes me think that was the first time he used it that game.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 19, 2022

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

No these guys right now are Black Suits in plainclothes. The only debtor (And a former one at that) that was involved here was the Mario's old roommate who sold him out upon seeing him. Funny enough he wanted to help catch him, but the guys told him to leave it to the pros.

Also there was another new chapter.

Oh gotcha. I guess I got them mixed up for the 'army of debtors' they tapped to call the tip hotlines.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Where Mario lacks in planning and intuition like the other two, he makes up for it with his quick wit and how quickly he acts on it, like when he stole a purse when the cops started to pursue them.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

This is tangentially Kaiji related, but if you were designing an AI opponent for a One Poker game, what sort of strategies would you have it employ?

I have a small implementation of the game in Unity I'm going to share soon, and it's hard to think what Easy, Medium, Hard AIs would do.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Pewdiepie posted:

I'm not sure if One Poker is a super compelling game if you aren't putting your life on the line.

While I'm gonna have a stand-alone web version for mucking about it, the intent is to port it into an RPG as a mini-game where the characters put their lives on the line. The rules of One Poker are simple enough, it's sort of like a more complicated version of War, where the 2 (or the 6 if you cut out the low cards) beats the Ace, 2 cards instead of 1, and a betting aspect.

As for Mario... it definitely looks like he got lucky, but his ability to keep his cool even when consumed by fear, and not giving any tells about it, is amazing. Mario would actually make a great gambler, even if he doesn't have the long-term planning ability of the other two. He has a hidden gift like Kaiji, and I think it would come out more if he was more confident.

Also whoever called his sneakers giving him away was spot on.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I made the thing: https://dipwood.itch.io/one-poker

Nothing much to say about it, but now there's an implementation of One Poker on the internet. I can import this as a mini-game into future games for some proper games of death.

Posting this here because it's Kaiji-related, lemme know if it's not allowed.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 6, 2022

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Endou going near catatonic from the sheer stupidity was great.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

They're all crammed into the trunk and hoping that Teiaiaaiaiai goes away when the taxi driver picks up new passengers.

I really hope it's something like that. Like it's not a clever plan that Endou couldn't see through, but a plan so stupid that Endou couldn't think of it.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 29, 2022

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I learned how to play Mahjong (through FF14 of all things) so I was reading Akagi and came across this fellow, with very normal fingernail placement.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I love that nobody has considered "Hey Hyoudou makes a pretty good point about no witnesses, why don't we just push him out and say it was suicide?"

I would trust nobody in that room to not sell out the rest immediately. Hiring only garbage human beings ensures Hyoudou's safety.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Zawa zawa, new chapter.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/49cbbd89-f77a-4e87-987b-58c885247dec

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Since I learned Mahjong, I've been reading Akagi since before I never finished it. The last 100 chapters really pick things up, except for that one weird arc near the end that seemed to drag on for a while. It had a pretty satisfying conclusion as well.

Afterwards, I started on Ten. I had tried to read Ten before, but found the first few chapters to be some of the worst manga I have ever read. It's no wonder I dropped it like twice before. But now I stuck through and it definitely gets better once the first big match starts. And now I'm up to the part where Akagi shows up, and while they're hyping him up to be this unconventional genius, thanks to the prequel series that was written afterwards (?), I can buy the hype. I want to see what kind of person he turned into. I'm also interested in how he got to this position given how anti-social the prequel series made him.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

No Wave posted:

"That one weird arc that seemed to drag on"... pretty funny way to describe the Washizu arc (which is 70% of the length of the manga iirc).

I was more referring to the "Hell arc" portion of it. Was a weird little intermission for a mahjong manga.

Also, after reading Akagi first, it's giving me some whiplash to see people winning in Ten with good old-fashioned cheating instead of LEGENDARY SUPER LUCK and POWER OF THE GODS.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I finished Ten and I can't believe a manga ended like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I, too, miss Kaiji.