Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RatHat posted:

I wonder if this will be the end for Kaiji or if he'll use that money for a final showdown with Hyoudo like an idiot.
Kaiji will wisely put his money into index funds and will live humbly as a 7/11 clerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

World's Strongest Man Kurosawa probably has more comedy parts than the others. Not really a comedy though overall unfortunately.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 12, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kaiji's not a thief he's just kind of a bum. He probably just doesn't want to see his mom because he feels bad about letting her down but never does anything about it. He knows he's pretty disappointing.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 18, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There have been some more chapters since the thread was last updated (really good ones). Chapter 311 where Endou talks to himself is amazin.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think (not a real spoiler just speculation) he's already out, but it seems a little easy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

dirby posted:

I enjoyed the Akagi anime quite a bit when it was new, and recently heard that the manga finished, so I basically just binged through it. One of my favorite parts was probably when (spoilers for only the beginning of the Washizu arc) it was pointed out that 2,000㏄s would be 20,000㏄s in today's blood.

I didn't enjoy what I've seen (most of season 1?) of the Kaiji anime, basically because Kaiji is kind of a loser compared to Akagi's perfection. For example, I like Liar Game and One Outs by Shinobu Kaitani for similar reasons to Akagi. Does Fukumoto have other things I should read for that? Maybe Ten?
Definitely Gambling Emperor Zero. Also if you've read Akagi just skip to the last third of Ten (which is actually about Akagi)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

this is basically the best manga I've ever read

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think they translated every chapter of Fukumoto I've ever seen online.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

apophenium posted:

HOLY poo poo

e. Phew, that's Act 1 down. I think I'm gonna take a breather and read one of the mahjong series. Should I start with Akagi or Ten? Ten was published first but Akagi is a prequel series, right?
Yes. The last third of Ten is really good either way even if you dont like the rest of it. The actual releases of ten and akagi overlapped though, fukumoto kind of dips in and out of his series.

You can read gambling emperor zero as well it's just wall to wall death games.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

So gyoza is called chinese food in Japan? I've always thought of it as a specifically Japanese presentation but I guess the basis of the dish came from china.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's the exact same trick that kaiji pulled to get his passport...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Btw. There were some new kurosawas translated in June. Also what was the name of the fukumoto manga with the girl protagonist? I wanted to see if more had been released.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Well... it always could have been the wrong taxi given that Endou only saw two digits.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The strange part is that he made 4.5 million dollars off the bog and is still acting all crazy about this.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Was it actually that much? Kaiji wiki says he took 60m yen total, which is about 600k usd (currently it's only like 450k but the yen is kinda poo poo right now) and like... Yeah that's a lot of money, but it's not exactly "gently caress you I'm never working again" money. Doubly so when you work for the yakuza and probably owe them something. I'd also wager that Endou probably isn't the best when it comes to money management.
Kaiji got 60 million after getting scammed then spent it all on saving the 45ers + that guy's kid. The other 200 million of Kaiji's share was taken by Endou (who already had another 250 million or so from his share).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think Hyoudou is my favorite villain in anything. Such a perfect bad guy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

"That one weird arc that seemed to drag on"... pretty funny way to describe the Washizu arc (which is 70% of the length of the manga iirc). Ten and Akagi have chunks written at very different points in the fukumoto's career, I think akagi ran on and off for 20+ years? Only truly ending recently. Ten and Akagi do intertwine a lot and I dont even know if there's a read order I'd recommend.

Personally my favorites are kaiji part 1 and gambling emperor zero part 1 because they're so insane and nonstop. GEZ in particular I think is fantastically entertaining and people dont talk about it as much (though it did get adapted into a movie at some point). Kaoji part 1 is by far the most famous/beloved, correctly, and is almost everyone's entry into the fukumotoverse.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 22, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wow you are right. I didnt realize how long 300 monthly chapters would take but yeah that accounts for the full 25 year run. Crazy that he had basically an entire prolific career while it was running.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The Kurosawa sneaking food into his coworkers' lunches ordeal was pretty high grade. This one is definitely brutal too though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ringo Roadagain posted:

the thing that differentiates them, to me, is their circumstances. kurosawa was independent. nikaido has been mooching for 10 years. its like if instead of kaiji living with sakazaki for 2 months after the bog, he lived with him for 10 years.
True. Kurosawa's fantasies were very painful but he still had a reason to be at work, while Nikaido hasnt been wanted around for at least five years.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

100,000 yen an hour for real?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Goddamn these were good. I was not expecting four years to pass like that but it was perfect.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think co-signing means they were both in debt. Teiai logic would send both to the espoir even Takeshi didnt disappear on kaiji.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Surely next chapter will be the start of the mahjong arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yes. Nikaidou was even offered to take over some lucrative private lessons and refused.