Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I really like the period, the music and the concept but Richie is just such a loving rear end in a top hat with no redeeming qualities and he's not interesting either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah I just cant really get behind this show. Its boring as hell outside of the music and period.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lord Tywin posted:

I really like the period, the music and the concept but Richie is just such a loving rear end in a top hat with no redeeming qualities and he's not interesting either.

I enjoyed the latest episode, especially the Col Parker and Elvis parts, but, yeah, after that reveal at the end, I just don't see how the writers of this show can expect anyone to ever empathize with the main character again, and the fact that the main character just doesn't have the qualities that would still make you interested in and root for the hosed-up antihero leads of a lot of the other Scorcese projects this show emulates just sorta drags the show down. It's like I feel like the season should be leading to his death, but I know that's not gonna happen cuz there's going to be more seasons.

The show also fucks up with other characters too. The frizzy blonde chick is so much less interesting to me now that I know she's just going through a "gently caress you, Mom" phase and can just go inherit a company and tons of money if the Nasty Bits don't work out for her, have no idea why the writers would think this would make for something interesting to get you invested in a character, unless they're aiming to make everyone on this show as unappealing as possible.

Also, is Hannibal supposed to be a stand in for a familiar, famous music star, or is he just another Nasty Bits, in that he's just a generic representative of funk, instead of punk?

Also also, Hocus Pocus by Focus was awesome, dudes on the show dissin it made me hate them much more than anything else they've done so far

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Hannibal is a fictional amalgam of R&B stars they invented.

A big part of the show's attitude problem is that it keeps sticking in sneering, rib-elbowing dismissals of perfectly fine acts that the audience is nevertheless supposed to take at face value as bad to be "in the know", like that Jethro Tull dig early on. Every now and then it's like having someone's alcoholic grandpa over your shoulder waiting to blurt out "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC!". "rockist" in the free world, maaaahn!

Also, the show commits a huge HBO sin I haven't seen anyone else mention - the opening loving suuuuuuucks. 2 minutes of compulsively skippable noise and boring visuals

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Also, the show commits a huge HBO sin I haven't seen anyone else mention - the opening loving suuuuuuucks. 2 minutes of compulsively skippable noise and boring visuals

I would actually disagree with this, I think the opening is pretty cool!

Yeah, saw last night's episode, not really much to say. Don't know enough about late Elvis (or even early Elvis for that matter) to know whether or not their casting was good, but I was reasonably entertained by the Elvis scenes so I guess it's cool.

Richie and the plot in general suck, the music and fashion are cool. I'll be amazed if this show turns it around and becomes anything more than that before the season finale.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That impersonator's performance was legitimately one of the very best things in the whole show so far, he was extremely good at playing middle downward spiral Elvis

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

A big part of the show's attitude problem is that it keeps sticking in sneering, rib-elbowing dismissals of perfectly fine acts that the audience is nevertheless supposed to take at face value as bad to be "in the know", like that Jethro Tull dig early on. Every now and then it's like having someone's alcoholic grandpa over your shoulder waiting to blurt out "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC!". "rockist" in the free world, maaaahn!

Alright, I thought he might've been a stand in for Sly Stone for some reason, maybe just wishful thinking, as that dude's life n career had more than enough drama worthy of it's own prestige show.

In regards to your second paragraph, they went way over the top with that poo poo this latest episode with how they had the supposed "REAL FUCKIN ROCK" insider experts reacting to Elvis during and after his performance. Sure, Elvis was in a decline, but it's already been made fun of so, so much over the past decades in every form of entertainment medium that's it's so unnecessary for them to have a character belaboring the point. Plus, even at that point in time, Elvis was still way more awesome and cool than most anyone could ever hope to be, especially any character on or writer for this show, so glad he got to bust out one of his dope karate moves to disarm and put down Finestra both figuratively and literally

Oh, also agree about the opening credits sequence. The whole weird, super close up imaging of the needle on the vinyl record was interesting to watch the first time, but not so much after that, and the rest of the opening seems like some cliche generic commercial to make some new product look cool and hip

savinhill fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 28, 2016

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

savinhill posted:

Oh, also agree about the opening credits sequence. The whole weird, super close up imaging of the needle on the vinyl record was interesting to watch the first time, but not so much after that, and the rest of the opening seems like some cliche generic commercial to make some new product look cool and hip
Exactly, the very first time I was like "oh this microscope LP is neat". And then it gives way to vibrating cocaine and stock b&w in AfterEffects filtervision for 2 fuckin minutes. Seriously, it's longer than GoT's intro without a memorable, triumphantly tuneful theme to justify any of it

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Exactly, the very first time I was like "oh this microscope LP is neat". And then it gives way to vibrating cocaine and stock b&w in AfterEffects filtervision for 2 fuckin minutes. Seriously, it's longer than GoT's intro without a memorable, triumphantly tuneful theme to justify any of it

I love the opening sequence but I think I go through "HBO Intro Stockholm Syndrome" with every show they put on - Boardwalk, Treme, Luck, both seasons of Leftovers - where I'm cold on the intro at first but eventually I come around on it and I look forward to watching the whole thing. And really, at this point, Vinyl's opening is the best part of the show!

I was really enjoying this episode until the reveal started, then I said "gently caress YOU!" and fast-forwarded until I saw, yeah, Richie's still a piece of poo poo. I just can't fathom where they're taking this...it's like the writer's room read the litany of thinkpieces about how every "prestige" drama is built around a white male anti-hero and they took that as some kind of challenge. I hate Richie! I don't want to see this rear end in a top hat get a redemption story! At this point all I want to do is see his coked-up rear end fall through a glass table and die at the end of the season, and HBO to pull a "whoops we sobered up and looked at these ratings and we're cancelling the renewal on this show" like they did for The Brink.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Conventional wisdom is that you can't polish a turd. HBO is proving conventional wisdom wrong. In many ways this show is a turd, but I'll be damned if the HBO magic hasn't made a pretty entertaining turd.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

JethroMcB posted:

I was really enjoying this episode until the reveal started, then I said "gently caress YOU!" and fast-forwarded until I saw, yeah, Richie's still a piece of poo poo. I just can't fathom where they're taking this...it's like the writer's room read the litany of thinkpieces about how every "prestige" drama is built around a white male anti-hero and they took that as some kind of challenge. I hate Richie! I don't want to see this rear end in a top hat get a redemption story! At this point all I want to do is see his coked-up rear end fall through a glass table and die at the end of the season, and HBO to pull a "whoops we sobered up and looked at these ratings and we're cancelling the renewal on this show" like they did for The Brink.
Well, Cannavale isn't exactly white, so you could call it some kind of reaction

There's nothing wrong with a protagonist being a selfish piece of poo poo in good drama, it's a huge part of what made 'The Sopranos' so masterful. Vinyl's problem is that Richie's story is nowhere near interesting enough to justify what a loathsome hunk of garbage he is, and there is no sign yet of any room for revelatory growth or potential that's worth getting invested in. This is a bad place to be 7 episodes deep into a season of 10

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Vinyls problem is that it's the most derivative show I've ever seen

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

"whoops we sobered up and looked at these ratings and we're cancelling the renewal on this show" like they did for The Brink.

Wait, what?

Also, yeah, I don't want or care about a redemption story. I'm all in for Team Cops.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

There's nothing wrong with a protagonist being a selfish piece of poo poo in good drama, it's a huge part of what made 'The Sopranos' so masterful. Vinyl's problem is that Richie's story is nowhere near interesting enough to justify what a loathsome hunk of garbage he is, and there is no sign yet of any room for revelatory growth or potential that's worth getting invested in. This is a bad place to be 7 episodes deep into a season of 10

Exactly. Tony was a multifaceted character, and Gandolfini's performance kept you guessing as to whether he hated his own actions or reveled in them; you'd at the very least see him realize how he'd hurt someone, whether he felt remorse for it or not. Richie meanwhile is just a caricature of a coke fiend who keeps screwing over everybody in his life without really realizing it, much less even internalizing it - he left his partners high and dry without warning, mistreated his wife and drove her away with children in tow, but all he cares about is how it affects him in that moment. There's no moment of clarity for Richie, no humanity for him, it's just assign blame and do another line.

HBO renewed The Brink last July, about halfway through the initial run of episodes. Fast forward three months, and suddenly word hits the trades that the show would not be going forward with a second season. It was a very odd (and very rare) about-face for HBO, especially since the show was doing decent ratings. Better ratings than Vinyl's doing, by a long shot.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Brink was so much fun, too bad it was cancelled.

This episode was so odd. Richie goes on the wagon, so suddenly Zak has to go completely out of character and become the out of control irresponsible and horny coke snorting drunk. Just for this episode. Just...because. And even when sober, Richie is still a complete rear end in a top hat, taking the money, gambling it away and blaming Zak.

And in the previous episodes American Century was cutting its old acts and only wanted to discover new music, so they go after... Elvis?! Why? How? They couldn't afford to poach him away from RCA even if Col Tom completely lost his mind and agreed to sign with them.

savinhill posted:

Plus, even at that point in time, Elvis was still way more awesome and cool than most anyone could ever hope to be, especially any character on or writer for this show, so glad he got to bust out one of his dope karate moves to disarm and put down Finestra both figuratively and literally
Then he walked away, saying "One must be like water", quoting Bruce Lee which was perfect for the time. That was great but the whole silly storyline seem like a waste of time. And Zak being outraged about Polk Salad Annie seemed misplaced. The performance was cheesy but it's the rootsy kind of song Richie said Elvis should be doing. :confused:

JethroMcB posted:

Exactly. Tony was a multifaceted character, and Gandolfini's performance kept you guessing as to whether he hated his own actions or reveled in them; you'd at the very least see him realize how he'd hurt someone, whether he felt remorse for it or not. Richie meanwhile is just a caricature of a coke fiend who keeps screwing over everybody in his life without really realizing it, much less even internalizing it - he left his partners high and dry without warning, mistreated his wife and drove her away with children in tow, but all he cares about is how it affects him in that moment. There's no moment of clarity for Richie, no humanity for him, it's just assign blame and do another line.
I actively want to see Richie fail. Fall. Get arrested. Really the best thing for the label (and probably the series) would be to cut him or buy him out, and move forward. The money from the plane sale was god for 3 months of salaries, so that was not going to be enough $$$ or time to turn things around.
And if we're going to see Jamie and Clark on the fire escape sharing their hopes and dreams, there should be more of that and I sure hope something comes out of their story arcs.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 30, 2016

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh man they canceled The Brink? I missed that news. :-(

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Oh man they canceled The Brink? I missed that news. :-(

The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Vinyl - did you hear they cancelled The Brink?

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Vinyl - did you hear they cancelled The Brink?

The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Vinyl - "Don Draper was too likable." - Martin Scorsese

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Vinyl -"You Can Smell The Cocaine Sweating Out Of Richie"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
A new episode of the HBO Premiere Series "Vinyl" aired last night

That's my hot take

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Did Ray Ramano just sign Jobriath?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Lending money from the mob seems like a great idea. However, it makes me quite hopeful that Richie will end up dead at the end of the season!

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

That's been the baby boomer way since the 80's: we started everything! Hip hop, punk, etc had roots only in our (Scorcese's) generation, gently caress everyone before and after.

I also noticed the dig at Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. "Every mop head in America is contemplating that drat pyramid, blah blah blah..." A lot of that is Mick Jagger's longtime back and forth with David Gilmour and Roger Waters, even tho he uses a lot of their ideas and stage designers for Stones tours. It is really annoying, and I picture some teens watching this show and believing that poo poo too.

Richard Hell even brought up Vinyl's portrayal of drug usage: why does every time someone (Richie) do cocaine, they scream and act like someone just shoved a steel pipe up their rear end rather than just doing a line and giving a smile?

I like the idea of this show, and I like the 70s, but it just seems like they are trying way to hard to brain wash young hipster wannabe's, like Oliver Stone's Doors movie. Every old timer I knew was turned off by that movie, especially the ones who actually saw The Doors in concert in the 60s. They stated there was no way they would've wasted their money on what Val Kilmer portrayed.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That was a pretty good episode, because it was mostly played for laughs, and because of the EAB chord progression song.

Funniest bit was the designer guy who got fired, claiming to have given Bread a hit song and then placing a devil-worshipping curse on everyone.
Bread was just so bland and non-demonic it's an amazing juxtaposition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvsHkyqzy9M

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Gimmedaroot posted:

Richard Hell even brought up Vinyl's portrayal of drug usage: why does every time someone (Richie) do cocaine, they scream and act like someone just shoved a steel pipe up their rear end rather than just doing a line and giving a smile?
Yeah the cocaine reactions are ridiculous. And where are the random nosebleeds that come along with such heavy use?!

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Binary Logic posted:

That was a pretty good episode, because it was mostly played for laughs, and because of the EAB chord progression song.

Twarn't nothing but a ripoff of Axis of Awesome

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Finndo posted:

Twarn't nothing but a ripoff of Axis of Awesome

This sort of medley has been done many times, by many people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0lcdXJ4wG8

and I also liked that in this episode the police caught up with Richie and have that recording. He might weasel out of it somehow but at least his murderous actions are having consequences.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 5, 2016

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lord Tywin posted:

Lending money from the mob seems like a great idea. However, it makes me quite hopeful that Richie will end up dead at the end of the season!

I just hope the scary mob guy(Corrado?) comes in the office once an episode from now on and gleefully performs his over-the-shoulder-cord-choke-holder to one of the lovely characters on this show while Julie cheers him on and kisses his rear end, leading to mob guy running the label/being the main character with Julie his second in command next season.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Heaven help me I am really starting to like this show.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Heaven help me I am really starting to like this show.

Because Clark from the mailroom might have found a new act!
The show has a unique tone due to the skewed reality it exists in.

For me the more it's about music and the industry the more fun it is to watch.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Binary Logic posted:

This sort of medley has been done many times, by many people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0lcdXJ4wG8

This was interesting, thanks, but not really the same sort of medley (where a bunch of different songs are revealed to be, at bottom, the same song) as sung by Little Jimmy Little or the bearded goon. If there are others, I'd love to see them.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Finndo posted:

This was interesting, thanks, but not really the same sort of medley (where a bunch of different songs are revealed to be, at bottom, the same song) as sung by Little Jimmy Little or the bearded goon. If there are others, I'd love to see them.
It shows how the same chords can be played in different ways. More like Axis of Awesome is the classic Pachelbel Rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

And this is not the same thing at all but really great and worth a listen, Jeffrey Lewis performs The History of Punk on the Lower East Side 1950-1975

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QLxLHQW_M

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 6, 2016

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

The murder subplot is so drat unnecessary ...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is True Detective coming back? season was abysmal

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
doo doo doo doo SA TVIV Headline Compilerbot interrupting this thread with breaking news:

quote:

‘Vinyl’ Showrunner Terence Winter Exits HBO Series, New Showrunner Named

There is a major behind-the-scenes shakeup at HBO’s 1970s rock n roll drama Vinyl as the series heads into its second season. Co-creator, executive producer and showrunner Terence Winter has been let go over creative differences. Feature writer Scott Z. Burns (The Borne Ultimatum) has been named executive producer/showrunner and Max Borenstein (Godzilla) executive producer on the project, which is executive produced by Mick Jagger and Martin Scorsese. Burns has no TV credits, while Borenstein developed and executive produced Fox’s Minority Report series adaptation.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 9, 2016

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Binary Logic posted:

doo doo doo doo SA TVIV Headline Compilerbot interrupting this thread with breaking news:

I was coming here to post that but, yeah...this was Winter's dream project along with Scorsese's, so that takes the wind of its sails.

I imagine the murder plot also made more sense when Vinyl was originally going to be a movie.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

This show is so hard to watch...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

MoPZiG posted:

This show is so hard to watch...

It gets a lot easier when olivia wilde and her amazing cheekbones are on screen

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

zVxTeflon posted:

It gets a lot easier when olivia wilde and her amazing cheekbones are on screen

You mean bush right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Harton posted:

You mean bush right?

That was what the producers believed to be a 70's era accurate Merkin, but much like a lot of other things they believe, it wasn't even close to authentic.

• Locked thread