Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Hannibal is a fictional amalgam of R&B stars they invented.

A big part of the show's attitude problem is that it keeps sticking in sneering, rib-elbowing dismissals of perfectly fine acts that the audience is nevertheless supposed to take at face value as bad to be "in the know", like that Jethro Tull dig early on. Every now and then it's like having someone's alcoholic grandpa over your shoulder waiting to blurt out "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC!". "rockist" in the free world, maaaahn!

That's been the baby boomer way since the 80's: we started everything! Hip hop, punk, etc had roots only in our (Scorcese's) generation, gently caress everyone before and after.

I also noticed the dig at Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. "Every mop head in America is contemplating that drat pyramid, blah blah blah..." A lot of that is Mick Jagger's longtime back and forth with David Gilmour and Roger Waters, even tho he uses a lot of their ideas and stage designers for Stones tours. It is really annoying, and I picture some teens watching this show and believing that poo poo too.

Richard Hell even brought up Vinyl's portrayal of drug usage: why does every time someone (Richie) do cocaine, they scream and act like someone just shoved a steel pipe up their rear end rather than just doing a line and giving a smile?

I like the idea of this show, and I like the 70s, but it just seems like they are trying way to hard to brain wash young hipster wannabe's, like Oliver Stone's Doors movie. Every old timer I knew was turned off by that movie, especially the ones who actually saw The Doors in concert in the 60s. They stated there was no way they would've wasted their money on what Val Kilmer portrayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread