Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This would not be my usual cup of tea since I don't really care about music, or New York City. My coworker insisted I check it out and I have to admit it is pretty good. That shot of Ray Romano looking all defeated and then hearing the house band dude playing Life on Mars was beautiful. Also, knowing that Ernst probably wasn't really there the whole time didn't really lessen the impact of seeing why he wasn't still there. Yeah similar stuff has been done recently on another big show, but again, it was executed very well so I don't mind.

E: Don't get the hate for James Jagger. I have no trouble believing that young dude who only cares about fighting, loving, and playing guitar would be boring as poo poo when he isn't doing one of those things.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Holy poo poo. lol

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Conventional wisdom is that you can't polish a turd. HBO is proving conventional wisdom wrong. In many ways this show is a turd, but I'll be damned if the HBO magic hasn't made a pretty entertaining turd.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

"whoops we sobered up and looked at these ratings and we're cancelling the renewal on this show" like they did for The Brink.

Wait, what?

Also, yeah, I don't want or care about a redemption story. I'm all in for Team Cops.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Oh man they canceled The Brink? I missed that news. :-(

The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Vinyl - did you hear they cancelled The Brink?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Heaven help me I am really starting to like this show.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Last two episodes have been pretty good, I'm glad it got renewed.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Okay thread, everyone write your own ending for the show, go!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

The Alibi Records launch party rages into the night, with middle aged shitheap Richie Finnestra leading the charge to spraypaint all the biggest cusses on the walls. In time, the guests fall away to continue their own parties at proto-CBGB's or Max's Kansas City or any number of other namedropped venues. The White Mailroom Kid who is busy appropriating Black dance music to single-handedly create Disco winds up hanging out with an acquaintance at a CBS Radio building in Midtown when he says "This would make a great nightclub venue...'The STUDIO on 54th'..." and he looks directly into the camera.

Juno Temple goes home with John Nastybits and watches him overdose for a second time in 24 hours. He dies. She realizes maybe this world isn't so glamorous and goes back to her ill-defined aristocratic family to live a life of luxury.

Richie keeps his own party going in his office, doing fat rails of coke well into the night. He decides to celebrate sunrise with a line that runs the length of the receptionist desk. He takes it down and shouts out some Nasty Bits lyrics before grabbing his chest and falling down dead from a massive coronary. Zak and the Partner With the Moustache come in a few hours later to find RIchie dead in the lobby. They hug, crying, and Zak says "Finally, we're free." Richie's wife is more than happy to turn control of the company over to the other partners; she will sell as soon as it is profitable or they can find a buyer. They set about undoing all the damage Richie caused. Alibi Records is immediately shuttered, and the Nasty Bits' stock is destroyed. The records that did make it to retail distribution find no audience, are promptly moved to the discount bin and are ultimately forgotten. The album does gain some mythical cachet through the years, going on to become a collector's item decades later, but only as a curiosity for vinyl completionists. Music blogs pick up on its cult status and review it only to savage the actual music - Pitchfork's review ends with "A lot of Change the loving Channel's legendary story has to do with the fact that the lead singer died on the day of the album's release. A typical rock and roll sob story, but if this is all that he had to offer I'm glad he's dead."

American Century's remaining execs manage to turn the label around, relying heavily on compilations and rereleases. They're not artistic pioneers, but they do run a solid business. A few years later Polygram comes around again and offers them another deal. This time, without Richie around to sink the whole thing, the sale goes through and everybody gets paid handsomely.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Ray Romano was awesome and I won't hear otherwise.

• Locked thread