Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.hbo.com/vinyl
(special thanks to TVIV poster sector_corrector for the title of this thread)

HBO.com posted:

Created by Mick Jagger & Martin Scorsese & Rich Cohen and Terence Winter, this new drama series is set in 1970s New York. A ride through the sex- and drug-addled music business at the dawn of punk, disco, and hip-hop, the show is seen through the eyes of a record label president, Richie Finestra, played by Bobby Cannavale, who is trying to save his company and his soul without destroying everyone in his path. Additional series regulars include Olivia Wilde, Ray Romano, Ato Essandoh, Max Casella, P.J. Byrne, J.C. MacKenzie, Birgitte Hjort Sørensen, Juno Temple, Jack Quaid, James Jagger and Paul Ben-Victor. Scorsese, Jagger and Winter executive produce along with Victoria Pearman, Rick Yorn, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, John Melfi, Allen Coulter and George Mastras. Winter serves as showrunner. The 10-episode first season debuts February 14th.

SOME CAST (view more at imdb.com):

Bobby Cannavale as Richie Finestra, President of American Century Records

Olivia Wilde as Richie's wife

Ray Romano as Zak Yankovich, one of the partners of American Century

Juno Temple as Jamie Vine, an assistant in the A&R department trying to move up through the ranks

A number of other individuals (more cast info @ imdb.com)

First episode aired on February 14th, new episodes air every Sunday at 9:00 PM EST (aka the Game of Thrones slot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Checked to see if this show had a thread and it didn't, so excuse the hastily made OP. At this point I really just wanted one question answered: Did the collapse of the nightclub at the end actually loving happen, or was it a hallucination??

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I enjoyed this episode more than the premiere, probably because we got lots of crazy drug and alcohol fueled Monday morning office shakeup stuff that made me love Mad Men so much. Basically, the more this show acts like Mad Men, the more I'll probably like it.

I get what they're trying to do with the musical interludes between scenes, but it comes off as confusing because, more often than not, actual performances happen as well. So its like, Is this a transition between scenes or is this actually happening in their universe? They do some weird stuff with the mixes, too. One of the songs this week had the worlds loudest, crispest, clearest tambourine hits I've ever heard in a TV show, and that includes the transition scene from the last episode of the chick playing the tambourine repeatedly with her rear end

EDIT: I'm also glad Ray Romano ended up not killing himself :unsmith:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Binary Logic posted:

All that said, I am enjoying the show for the music, fashion, and doppelgangers.

Same; also agree with the goon who said the murder subplot is completely unnecessary. I especially cringe every time they show us a quick flashback of the murder at least once in every episode like we forgot or didn't see the first episode. It kinda insults my intelligence a bit!

But overall I find this show to be somewhere between total background viewing and paying rapt attention on the edge of my seat - decent. I love period dramas and this one seems to be doing a decent job with attention to detail re: music, bands, fashion, pop culture references, etc

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JethroMcB posted:

A Tyler Durden from the past, what a surprise! Given how telegraphed it was from SCENE loving ONE I honestly expected a better reveal at the end - pretty much that the guy had actually been there!

I'm enjoying this show but man, that was an obnoxious narrative device for a really obvious plot. It didn't help that this week Richie had no charisma to balance his coked-up assholery.

I kept thinking "wow, this german dude always seems to be hanging around whenever Richie is alone, nobody else ever interacts with him and he's always encouraging him to do coke. Is he some sort of manifestation of Richie's imagination? No, because he was an actual character before. Is this a different devil-may-care german guy or something?"

I wasn't exactly proud of my deductive skills at the reveal, more like annoyed. Like you said, at that point it would have been a better reveal to show that he actually WAS corporeal.

Though I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy this episode to a certain degree. Bobby Canivale sure knows how to play coked up rear end in a top hat, and he seriously must have destroyed just about every facet of his life in this one. Plus we got that sweet Bowie appearance, which I have to say I thought they did really well. The only musical number I didn't enjoy was the guy on the piano that Ray Romano was so impressed by near the end. The vocal style was way out of place for the 70's and reminded me of most female pop stars who do the national anthem; that style of singing that just screams 'trying way too hard.'

Why were they holding auditions for a new guitarist for The Nasty Bits? I know they shitcanned Duck in the last episode, but I thought the whole point was that Richie wanted them to be a four piece.

fake edit: that reminds me, Mad Men had a guy named Duck get shitcanned, too. There are so many similarities between these two shows (but unfortunately I think Mad Men was a lot better)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Also, the show commits a huge HBO sin I haven't seen anyone else mention - the opening loving suuuuuuucks. 2 minutes of compulsively skippable noise and boring visuals

I would actually disagree with this, I think the opening is pretty cool!

Yeah, saw last night's episode, not really much to say. Don't know enough about late Elvis (or even early Elvis for that matter) to know whether or not their casting was good, but I was reasonably entertained by the Elvis scenes so I guess it's cool.

Richie and the plot in general suck, the music and fashion are cool. I'll be amazed if this show turns it around and becomes anything more than that before the season finale.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A new episode of the HBO Premiere Series "Vinyl" aired last night

That's my hot take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JethroMcB posted:

I think they just meant in terms of Scott Burns replacing Terence Winter as the showrunner and other changes on the production side of things, not in terms of actual content. They probably would've also had to spend a boatload on marketing to revitalize interest.

Anyhow, this is good news, I'm glad it's dead.

Me too, actually laughed when I heard the news. Though it could have been so much better with a few tweaks, it didn't seem like the tweaks they were making were going to make the show better...more like worse.

• Locked thread