Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Am I the only one that hated this pilot? When Dice started doing his second rate "HOW AM I FUNNY?" pesci knock off I had to really fight to keep watching to the end.

If this is why boardwalk ended, gently caress everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Vanderdeath posted:

Boardwalk Empire ended because HBO couldn't justify its cost even if it was a critical darling. I would have liked to have seen an season about the downfall of Arnold Rothstein just for Michael Stuhlbarg, but I realize they had to jump forward to end it.

Ending one new york city period piece shot in NYC, to start another new york city period piece shot in NYC that also happens to license incredibly expensive period music...that doesn't exactly convince me it was a budget thing.

I'd like to give terence winter some leeway (I can't remember if boardwalk had a poo poo pilot) but jesus christ, this was just weak sauce all around. Reviews on the further eps that critics saw make it seem like it just keeps on being this incredibly predictable thing.

I'm trying to think of scenes that didn't make me roll my eyes super hard, but it just comes off as someone else making a parody of Scorsese.

Some of my favorite awful things:

- Bobby Cannvale going into REALLY LOUD AND YELLY MODE at a drop of a hat in place of realistic dialogue or interesting character moments.. because....he's italian? You guys know he can actually act right?
- The warhol namedrop was so groan inducing. "Andy really misses you! He talks about you all the time while he's combing his famous white hair. You know, ANDY"
- The punk subplot..nasty bits? Nasty bits.
- Is there a single realistic character on this? Why is everyone a cliche?
- "not like you germans..i mean, uh, your parents"..is that...is that your idea of comedy "vinyl"?..I feel for you not-judah friedlander..you (probably) deserve better than this. You know what every show needs? Not one, but TWO well natured but ultimately dim witted characters that everyone shits on..that'll totally work.
- Everything with andrew dice clay was just painful to watch.
- CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE gently caress THE TAMBOURINE SEQUENCE WAS ABOUT? I get that all these little lip synced motown performances are supposed to connect to his flashbacks as an exec in the 50's and 60's, but they feel really forced and disjointed and a case of "hey it'd look cool if we get someone to play bo diddley backlit as gently caress with some haze going"...The scene with the tambourine girl in the office made even less sense then the other times they do it.

On the plus, I dig the sets. So I guess, more of 1970's subway car recreations and less of every single other element. I feel exactly like I did after running wilde premiered. A show created and starring some of my favorite film makers and actors that's super hyped and ends up being a giant turd.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
HBO Renews ‘Vinyl’ for Season 2 Despite Low Premiere Ratings

I wonder if HBO is losing more pitches now that there are more streaming networks producing shows (hulu, amazon, netflix, crackle, seeso and eventually youtube and vimeo).

• Locked thread