Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
This show itself is entertaining to me and I enjoy watching it, I just hate all the characters except for crushed throat/dreams guy and wish this was a one off special series so it could just be about all these lovely, unsympathetic people falling lower and getting crushed harder than the one guy I do like.

Dead Snoopy posted:

I do have to say that the bit in the pilot where Dice Clay comes 'back to life' to attack Richie was startlingly hilarious.

Dice Clay's scenes were probably my favorite thing in the pilot but it was also a huge drawback for me cuz now everytime Bobby Carnavale has a screaming/talking loud n excited line of dialogue it sounds like he's doing a Dice Clay impression to me, which might not have got stuck in my head to begin with if Dice wasn't in the pilot episode.

Vanderdeath posted:

They're going to have to do something with that because 1520 Sedgwick Avenue is credited as being the birthplace of Hip-Hop and rap and that young DJ was likely DJ Kool Herc, who started tinkering with break beats in fall of 1973. I have a feeling that's what Little Jimmy Little's arc is going to be about.

It was Kool Herc, there was a line in the latest episode where Lil Jimmy referred to him by name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I remember The Boardwalk Empire thread was slow, especially for the early seasons, but there were at least posts during and after the episodes aired, are there that many less people watching Vinyl, or has this site, and subforum in particular, just slowed down a lot?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Martman posted:

I'm wondering where Clark's arc could possibly go other than killing himself. He's like Pete Campbell from Mad Men except instead of having a creepy yet compelling persistence, he just gets more and more pathetic at every possible turn. Literally every moment of his screentime is about him loving up and being utterly unlikeable and worthless.

He's clearly comic relief and barely registers on the unlikeability scale for me on this show in which just about every other character is an exaggeratedly entitled, self-obsessed, egotistical rear end in a top hat without any redeeming qualities.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ktik posted:

I think they fired TWO guys in the Nasty Bits. One who was terrible, and one who was Duck and "lazy". But then again, they're all "terrible" according to Jules, but going to be the stars of the new sub label because.... cocaine.

One of the most annoying things about this show besides the characters is the whole starting point central conflict of Finestra backing out of selling his big major label because he wanted to do the sub-label to "make real Rock Music again, man". Like why the gently caress couldn't he just start a new small label for his vanity ego-stroking project with the "cash-in of a lifetime's work" money he would've made with the sale. It doesn't seem like any of his existing, already locked in artists are a part of his new vision, and that the day-to-day running of the big label is just holding him back from being able to actually focus on making his creative ambitions a reality, both from a financial and time-consuming/priorities standpoint. Plus, he severely damaged a lot of his industry credibility and goodwill that could've helped him immensely with trying to get new poo poo rolling. How the gently caress did this dude become such a bigshot, hot poo poo mover and shaker in the music industry anyway, it'd be nice to maybe see something about that in a flashback instead of another "look how cool the New York scene was then" backdrop for the lovely main couple's early relationship developments.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Weembles posted:

Allude to it? They do everything but play the Maude theme song whenever she appears on screen.

lol, who knows, it aired around the same time period, maybe they will play it on a TV set in the background

eiretsim posted:

. I wish they made use of Max Casella more -- he was great in the first couple episodes but I feel like he disappeared after that.

Oh yeah, Julie's the best and I would so love to see more of him each episode. Agree that the Wolf of Wall Street tone sets this show the best, everyone and everything is just so over the top ridiculous on this show, especially the main character who is getting the most serious dramatic moments, just being consistent with that WOWS vibe would make Vinyl so, so much better, and Julie would be perfect getting the same sidekick screentime/bigger role as Jonah Hill if they would just commit to it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lord Tywin posted:

I really like the period, the music and the concept but Richie is just such a loving rear end in a top hat with no redeeming qualities and he's not interesting either.

I enjoyed the latest episode, especially the Col Parker and Elvis parts, but, yeah, after that reveal at the end, I just don't see how the writers of this show can expect anyone to ever empathize with the main character again, and the fact that the main character just doesn't have the qualities that would still make you interested in and root for the hosed-up antihero leads of a lot of the other Scorcese projects this show emulates just sorta drags the show down. It's like I feel like the season should be leading to his death, but I know that's not gonna happen cuz there's going to be more seasons.

The show also fucks up with other characters too. The frizzy blonde chick is so much less interesting to me now that I know she's just going through a "gently caress you, Mom" phase and can just go inherit a company and tons of money if the Nasty Bits don't work out for her, have no idea why the writers would think this would make for something interesting to get you invested in a character, unless they're aiming to make everyone on this show as unappealing as possible.

Also, is Hannibal supposed to be a stand in for a familiar, famous music star, or is he just another Nasty Bits, in that he's just a generic representative of funk, instead of punk?

Also also, Hocus Pocus by Focus was awesome, dudes on the show dissin it made me hate them much more than anything else they've done so far

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Hannibal is a fictional amalgam of R&B stars they invented.

A big part of the show's attitude problem is that it keeps sticking in sneering, rib-elbowing dismissals of perfectly fine acts that the audience is nevertheless supposed to take at face value as bad to be "in the know", like that Jethro Tull dig early on. Every now and then it's like having someone's alcoholic grandpa over your shoulder waiting to blurt out "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC!". "rockist" in the free world, maaaahn!

Also, the show commits a huge HBO sin I haven't seen anyone else mention - the opening loving suuuuuuucks. 2 minutes of compulsively skippable noise and boring visuals

Alright, I thought he might've been a stand in for Sly Stone for some reason, maybe just wishful thinking, as that dude's life n career had more than enough drama worthy of it's own prestige show.

In regards to your second paragraph, they went way over the top with that poo poo this latest episode with how they had the supposed "REAL FUCKIN ROCK" insider experts reacting to Elvis during and after his performance. Sure, Elvis was in a decline, but it's already been made fun of so, so much over the past decades in every form of entertainment medium that's it's so unnecessary for them to have a character belaboring the point. Plus, even at that point in time, Elvis was still way more awesome and cool than most anyone could ever hope to be, especially any character on or writer for this show, so glad he got to bust out one of his dope karate moves to disarm and put down Finestra both figuratively and literally

Oh, also agree about the opening credits sequence. The whole weird, super close up imaging of the needle on the vinyl record was interesting to watch the first time, but not so much after that, and the rest of the opening seems like some cliche generic commercial to make some new product look cool and hip

savinhill fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 28, 2016

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lord Tywin posted:

Lending money from the mob seems like a great idea. However, it makes me quite hopeful that Richie will end up dead at the end of the season!

I just hope the scary mob guy(Corrado?) comes in the office once an episode from now on and gleefully performs his over-the-shoulder-cord-choke-holder to one of the lovely characters on this show while Julie cheers him on and kisses his rear end, leading to mob guy running the label/being the main character with Julie his second in command next season.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Harton posted:

You mean bush right?

That was what the producers believed to be a 70's era accurate Merkin, but much like a lot of other things they believe, it wasn't even close to authentic.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

I like how happy everyone was that their new label was launched by a singer who had OD'ed on heroin and had to be revived by the CEO injecting him with cocaine. Yay!

The whole finale was so retarded, it was like they decided to parody their whole first season of the show with this latest episode

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

Well Zak and the other, ill defined partner with the blonde moustache didn't seem thrilled by it, and Richie seemed hurt by their cool reaction. "Guys, I started a sublabel for our floundering real label, with a band we can't even promote on the radio! We gotta spraypaint cusses on the walls like a buncha middle schoolers to celebrate this momentous, huge victory!"

It's like something that would've been in Spinal Tap, except here we're supposed to buy it as a serious, dramatic moment instead of the completely ridiculous silliness it really is.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

OK, so I've watched like 2 episodes and this show is almost unbearable. I usually give shows three episodes, but is it worth it?

If you didn't like the first two episodes, then don't bother. The things that are most likely unbearable about it for you just ramp up and get more annoying.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
That article said the second season was supposed to be a reboot, anyone know anything about this?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

They cancelled Boardwalk Empire for this shitshow? Ugh

I thought Boardwalk Empire turned into it's own slightly less lovely brand of shitshow in it's last two seasons and for some of the same reasons Vinyl was unappealing. Maybe terrence Winter needs to change up some of the writing and character tropes he seems to overuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The Julie guy(it's a crime I can never remember that actor's name, cuz it should be a household one) was one of the only other good character's and was tragically underused. There were so many other lovely, annoying, boring characters with lovely, annoying, boring plots of their own and it only further shows the makers of this show's incompetence that they just didn't cut one of those lovely boring people/plots in favor of one of the only truly entertaining things on this junk heap of a wannabe prestige program.

• Locked thread