Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

spandexcajun posted:

I liked both episodes. IDK what's up with the hate. I laughed my rear end off when the mom forgot the kids at 70's Denny's. I guess I was pre-disposed to like this show, Sturgill Simpson does the opening song and is amazing, it's how I first heard about the show.
I like both episodes too.
I see this as an alternate universe so the dopplegangers aren't always exact.
And it would be great if Finestra keeps trying to sign a good band but misses and he descends into more drug-and-alcohol benders. So eg Richie signs the Nasty Bits and oh the Speaking Noggins, who sell no records and go nowhere while Sire Records has the Dead Boys and Talking Heads.
And that's why no one has heard of American Century Records.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

This show is getting better and better. I liked Alice Cooper's portrayal.
Yes the actor really captured the way he speaks.

I grew up in the 70s and really like the show, the fashions, and even the replica artists and bands that appear. And the vintage brushed aluminum look of home audio systems.
Don't even need the murder plot to make the NYC music scene and music industry compelling.

The Stones were also really big during this time - charging up to around $12 for seats close to the stage LOL. I wonder if they'll be portrayed by actors or if they're off limits.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Great episode. I want a WizardFist t-shirt if it features a dragon and a beer.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 15, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

savinhill posted:

He's clearly comic relief and barely registers on the unlikeability scale for me on this show in which just about every other character is an exaggeratedly entitled, self-obsessed, egotistical rear end in a top hat without any redeeming qualities.

He should start up a band and become the show's version of Jonathan Richman.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Dmitri-9 posted:

Ritchie is aggressively unlikable. We are supposed to find him compelling because he is bored with sobriety and thinks he can make a buck off of punk and rap? At least Tony Soprano ate dinner with his kids once and a while. Everyone on this show is a nasty 70's fraud but the show never crystallizes this into a theme. I thought Bobby Canavale's acting was subpar and the editing was a mess in the first two episodes but while those improved the writing took a nosedive in ep 5. The only evidence of Martin Scorsese's influence is clumsy plagiarism of his style.
Not unexpected for a Scorcese production to have an unlikeable anti-hero lead but I do agree, coked-up accessory-to-murder Richie does not seem to have any redeeming qualities at all. It would be better if we saw more of Zach (Ray Romano), he seems more reasonable and friendly.
As for subpar acting the singer in the Nasty Bits is terrible, like Ian Rubbish level of parody.
https://vimeo.com/64226881

Also there are 2 women in the show (a third with the latest ep), and both of them are subservient eye candy to the men. Where the hell is Patti Smith in all this?

And yeah, if Richie thinks signing a random NYC punk rock band is going to turn his company's fortunes around, he's in deep $$$ trouble.
All that said, I am enjoying the show for the music, fashion, and doppelgangers.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 16, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

Umm so has Olivia Wilde done a nude scene before? Asking for a friend.

Loved the 70s merkin she was wearing, funnest part of the episode.

Lord Tywin posted:

It would be better if they would just focus on Ray Romano and that new woman who is supposed to fix poo poo.
Yes I hope so. Although for a record exec he sounded like an awkward teenage fangirl when meeting Bowie.

The massive cokehead on a bender is too cliche and Richie's got no redeeming values. Even if the Nasty Bits become a successful punk rock band in the show, it won't vindicate his actions towards the staff at the label.

timp posted:

Why were they holding auditions for a new guitarist for The Nasty Bits? I know they shitcanned Duck in the last episode, but I thought the whole point was that Richie wanted them to be a four piece.

The scene in the guitar store made it even more obvious that Kip plays rhythm guitar, and the band needs someone better as lead guitarist (to replace Duck). That was the first scene with him that I liked because Kip seems like a poser while the long-haired guy came off as an actual NYC punk.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah I hope we hear exasperated Finestra say, "How do those fuckers at Sire Records do it? They keep finding great new acts like Dead Boys, Ramones, Blondie, the Pretenders, and all I've got is the fuckin' Nasty Chunks or whatever."

hint: Stein and Gottehrer were not coked-out douchebags.

Lord Tywin posted:

It would be better if they would just focus on Ray Romano and that new woman who is supposed to fix poo poo.

This could be a better show if those two handle Alibi Records and then buy it out because American needs cash, and it continues circling the toilet bowl then Finestra is locked up on murder charges LOL. And the show becomes about Alibi, with Zac and the new woman running things.

edit again: Maybe in this universe Finestra's going to sign the Talking Heads to the new label, and Psycho Killer was/is/will be written about him. :derp:

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 22, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Brink was so much fun, too bad it was cancelled.

This episode was so odd. Richie goes on the wagon, so suddenly Zak has to go completely out of character and become the out of control irresponsible and horny coke snorting drunk. Just for this episode. Just...because. And even when sober, Richie is still a complete rear end in a top hat, taking the money, gambling it away and blaming Zak.

And in the previous episodes American Century was cutting its old acts and only wanted to discover new music, so they go after... Elvis?! Why? How? They couldn't afford to poach him away from RCA even if Col Tom completely lost his mind and agreed to sign with them.

savinhill posted:

Plus, even at that point in time, Elvis was still way more awesome and cool than most anyone could ever hope to be, especially any character on or writer for this show, so glad he got to bust out one of his dope karate moves to disarm and put down Finestra both figuratively and literally
Then he walked away, saying "One must be like water", quoting Bruce Lee which was perfect for the time. That was great but the whole silly storyline seem like a waste of time. And Zak being outraged about Polk Salad Annie seemed misplaced. The performance was cheesy but it's the rootsy kind of song Richie said Elvis should be doing. :confused:

JethroMcB posted:

Exactly. Tony was a multifaceted character, and Gandolfini's performance kept you guessing as to whether he hated his own actions or reveled in them; you'd at the very least see him realize how he'd hurt someone, whether he felt remorse for it or not. Richie meanwhile is just a caricature of a coke fiend who keeps screwing over everybody in his life without really realizing it, much less even internalizing it - he left his partners high and dry without warning, mistreated his wife and drove her away with children in tow, but all he cares about is how it affects him in that moment. There's no moment of clarity for Richie, no humanity for him, it's just assign blame and do another line.
I actively want to see Richie fail. Fall. Get arrested. Really the best thing for the label (and probably the series) would be to cut him or buy him out, and move forward. The money from the plane sale was god for 3 months of salaries, so that was not going to be enough $$$ or time to turn things around.
And if we're going to see Jamie and Clark on the fire escape sharing their hopes and dreams, there should be more of that and I sure hope something comes out of their story arcs.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 30, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Vinyl -"You Can Smell The Cocaine Sweating Out Of Richie"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That was a pretty good episode, because it was mostly played for laughs, and because of the EAB chord progression song.

Funniest bit was the designer guy who got fired, claiming to have given Bread a hit song and then placing a devil-worshipping curse on everyone.
Bread was just so bland and non-demonic it's an amazing juxtaposition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvsHkyqzy9M

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Gimmedaroot posted:

Richard Hell even brought up Vinyl's portrayal of drug usage: why does every time someone (Richie) do cocaine, they scream and act like someone just shoved a steel pipe up their rear end rather than just doing a line and giving a smile?
Yeah the cocaine reactions are ridiculous. And where are the random nosebleeds that come along with such heavy use?!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Finndo posted:

Twarn't nothing but a ripoff of Axis of Awesome

This sort of medley has been done many times, by many people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0lcdXJ4wG8

and I also liked that in this episode the police caught up with Richie and have that recording. He might weasel out of it somehow but at least his murderous actions are having consequences.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 5, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Heaven help me I am really starting to like this show.

Because Clark from the mailroom might have found a new act!
The show has a unique tone due to the skewed reality it exists in.

For me the more it's about music and the industry the more fun it is to watch.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Finndo posted:

This was interesting, thanks, but not really the same sort of medley (where a bunch of different songs are revealed to be, at bottom, the same song) as sung by Little Jimmy Little or the bearded goon. If there are others, I'd love to see them.
It shows how the same chords can be played in different ways. More like Axis of Awesome is the classic Pachelbel Rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

And this is not the same thing at all but really great and worth a listen, Jeffrey Lewis performs The History of Punk on the Lower East Side 1950-1975

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QLxLHQW_M

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 6, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
doo doo doo doo SA TVIV Headline Compilerbot interrupting this thread with breaking news:

quote:

‘Vinyl’ Showrunner Terence Winter Exits HBO Series, New Showrunner Named

There is a major behind-the-scenes shakeup at HBO’s 1970s rock n roll drama Vinyl as the series heads into its second season. Co-creator, executive producer and showrunner Terence Winter has been let go over creative differences. Feature writer Scott Z. Burns (The Borne Ultimatum) has been named executive producer/showrunner and Max Borenstein (Godzilla) executive producer on the project, which is executive produced by Mick Jagger and Martin Scorsese. Burns has no TV credits, while Borenstein developed and executive produced Fox’s Minority Report series adaptation.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 9, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

savinhill posted:

That was what the producers believed to be a 70's era accurate Merkin, but much like a lot of other things they believe, it wasn't even close to authentic.

I thought it was deliberately exaggerated for comedic effect.

Good episode but not enough music! It was great that Zack realized what happened to the $100,000 in Vegas, although I thought he'd be madder. Will probably lead to Richie feeling guilty and finding or getting money that Zack can dump on his new pet project, Xavier. With an X.

Just hope that Scorsese's influence doesn't turn Season 2 into being heavily into the mob connection, for me that is not a compelling storyline. If we're in 1973 now and next season is 1974 there could be lot of fun - disco got popular, Emerson Lake and Palmer were huge - and the Ramones started playing at CBGBs.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I like how happy everyone was that their new label was launched by a singer who had OD'ed on heroin and had to be revived by the CEO injecting him with cocaine. Yay!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I just caught up with the show, it's pretty mediocre and I'm surprised it got a second season.

My favorite character was introduced late in the season: the :downs:-cop who just wants to understand groupies and the sex that rockstars enjoy :3:

Pretty sure it always had a 2-season order and they just announced 'renewed for a 2nd season' for publicity.

Professor Shark posted:

To be honest, at times I found myself thinking of it as HBO does Halt and Catch Fire
For me it seems to be like Goodfellas or The Sopranos Of 70s Music. And when focused on music it's fun but the tone of the series is off. Unfortunately all the murder and mob plots detract and distract from the music storylines.
And while The Nasty Bits are (I think) supposed to represent the pre-punk style of maybe Eddie and The Hot Rods, it would have been more interesting to have a weirder more original band, along the lines of Television or Talking Heads, as the featured act. But maybe that will be coming in Season 2.

But I don't see how a new showrunner will help since he's going to have to answer to the same team of producers that created the series.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 24, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
It's all over now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdb_3H-28dE

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Really? Because there aren't enough cop shows on tv?!

The biggest disappointment for me is that we're not going to get another 70s (or any era) rock music centered show for a long long time.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

quote:

. The two-hour Vinyl opener is said to have cost about $30 million and the first season $100 million.

Absurd cost for a show with such limited appeal.

• Locked thread