Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

zer0spunk posted:

Am I the only one that hated this pilot? When Dice started doing his second rate "HOW AM I FUNNY?" pesci knock off I had to really fight to keep watching to the end.

If this is why boardwalk ended, gently caress everyone involved.

Boardwalk Empire ended because HBO couldn't justify its cost even if it was a critical darling. I would have liked to have seen an season about the downfall of Arnold Rothstein just for Michael Stuhlbarg, but I realize they had to jump forward to end it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Vodos posted:

I watched 11.22.63, which was boring, and then this, which put me to sleep about an hour in.

Haha, yeah, I did this double feature and fell asleep during 11.22.63 myself.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I liked last night's episode since it had a fair bit of comedy interjected into it. It was also a nice surprise seeing John Cameron Mitchell pop up as Andy Warhol.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

ruddiger posted:

When Richie rolled up to the projects where that party was jumping and the DJ was doing some early scratching/break beats I was all like "let me out, I want to watch that movie instead."

They're going to have to do something with that because 1520 Sedgwick Avenue is credited as being the birthplace of Hip-Hop and rap and that young DJ was likely DJ Kool Herc, who started tinkering with break beats in fall of 1973. I have a feeling that's what Little Jimmy Little's arc is going to be about.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I think it's interesting that Richie Finnestra is apparently part black but admonished Devon with a slightly racist tone about her wanting to get down with Hannibal. Anyways, this show is quickly becoming one of my favorites and I'm really digging it.

savinhill posted:

It was Kool Herc, there was a line in the latest episode where Lil Jimmy referred to him by name.

I'm glad they might be going into the early days of hip-hop because it's a realm that isn't seen often in media. It's typically post Sugar Hill Gang/Grandmaster Flash/Treacherous Three-era stories that get the attention and never the nascent hip-hop period between '73 and '79.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Binary Logic posted:

Not unexpected for a Scorcese production to have an unlikeable anti-hero lead but I do agree, coked-up accessory-to-murder Richie does not seem to have any redeeming qualities at all. It would be better if we saw more of Zach (Ray Romano), he seems more reasonable and friendly.
As for subpar acting the singer in the Nasty Bits is terrible, like Ian Rubbish level of parody.
https://vimeo.com/64226881

Also there are 2 women in the show (a third with the latest ep), and both of them are subservient eye candy to the men. Where the hell is Patti Smith in all this?

And yeah, if Richie thinks signing a random NYC punk rock band is going to turn his company's fortunes around, he's in deep $$$ trouble.
All that said, I am enjoying the show for the music, fashion, and doppelgangers.

The leader of the Nasty Bits is Mick Jagger's son and Mick Jagger is an EP on the show, so I think that solves that mystery. He's easily the worst actor on the show by a large margin.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Martman posted:

Haha, I haven't watched this last episode yet, but "holy poo poo lol" and "this show sucks rear end" make me think I'm in for something on the level of an "it was all a dream" reveal or something.

Nothing that egregious. I feel like one of the few people that likes this flawed show though.

I think it's because watching Cannavale playing a lovely, drugged out loser that's spectacularly exploding and ruining several lives is just entertaining enough to keep me involved. That and the fact that I love 1970s music and fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Binary Logic posted:

doo doo doo doo SA TVIV Headline Compilerbot interrupting this thread with breaking news:

I was coming here to post that but, yeah...this was Winter's dream project along with Scorsese's, so that takes the wind of its sails.

I imagine the murder plot also made more sense when Vinyl was originally going to be a movie.

• Locked thread