Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

son of a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks To Vulkan, We Should Be Seeing More 64-bit Linux Games

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

today's LWN included an article about Vulkan too that gave a nice overview, but that's paywalled until next thursday

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

what are the chances that people will actually use this and there will be way more cross-platform games? linux, mac, iOS, etc

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Tankakern posted:

Many Steam Linux games right now are only 32-bit,

:vince:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

mods?????????????????

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
are you out of your vulkan mind?!

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
drat it, jim, im a doctor not a graphics api

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

SteamOS Already Adds In NVIDIA Vulkan Support

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's official. Valve is now Gaming Apple.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

:eyecup: is it happening

Larry Parrish posted:

It's official. Valve is now Gaming Apple.

iOS makes nearly as much money as the major consoles at some companies. apple is gaming apple. also they're on the Vulkan working group :ssh:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

iOS makes nearly as much money as the major consoles at some companies. apple is gaming apple. also they're on the Vulkan working group :ssh:

they are khronos members, but according to everyone involved they had nothing to do with vulkan

maybe they'll surprise everyone and support it in osx 10.12 death valley or w/e, but they seem intent on doing their own thing with metal

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

osx 10.12 death valley

lol

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

first image lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The_Franz posted:

they are khronos members, but according to everyone involved they had nothing to do with vulkan

maybe they'll surprise everyone and support it in osx 10.12 death valley or w/e, but they seem intent on doing their own thing with metal

the impression i had was apple was delaying updating OpenGL to wait for metal. i dunno.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

4k Linux Gamer checking in here

fuckin laffo

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if apple supports vulcan, people are more likely to makes games with it, and there are more less games bound to windows, and thus more switchers. supporting open stuff is the under dog strategy.

but is apple really the underdog here? iPhone gaming is huge.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pleasurekevin: "is the second-wealthiest company in the world the underdog?"

they haven't held that status for a decade dude

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

pleasurekevin: "is the second-wealthiest company in the world the underdog?"

they haven't held that status for a decade dude

right, i just said that

but they're the underdog in "core gaming", but that's not an industry they're really in

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i doubt we'll ever see a triple a game but we might see some cool indie stuff

jesus christ this foruim is retarded

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

durrrrrrrr this graphics api which valve and several other big AAA companies have committed to 100%, will never be used in a AAA release. computer guy her

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

the thing I'm worried about is apple. they've just released a hot new proprietary graphics api, just in time. so yeah, looking forward to another era of vendor lock in shittiness

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Amethyst posted:

durrrrrrrr this graphics api which valve and several other big AAA companies have committed to 100%, will never be used in a AAA release. computer guy her

what other devs have?

Amethyst posted:

the thing I'm worried about is apple. they've just released a hot new proprietary graphics api, just in time. so yeah, looking forward to another era of vendor lock in shittiness

is there any reason to think they won't support vulkan ?

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Yes            Yes
   \          /   \
    Yes----Yes     Vulkan
   /          \   /
Yes            Yes   

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Yes            Yes
   \          /   \
    Yes----Yes     Vulkan
   /          \   /
Yes            Yes   

it's like a pick up artist made it

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

what other devs have?

they lagged behind the openGL spec for years and have just developed their own proprietary API. they have an incentive to push the proprietary one because of the iphone's dominant market position, just like microsoft did with directx in the 90s

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Programs dont work good outside of windows. Solution?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Smythe posted:

Programs dont work good outside of windows. Solution?

install gentoo

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

PleasureKevin posted:

the impression i had was apple was delaying updating OpenGL to wait for metal. i dunno.

they have always been slow to update openGL in OS X

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

what other devs have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKu7MLB7vQ

PleasureKevin posted:

you mean aside from having an opengl implementation that is years out of date and really slow compared to other vendors, their garbage support for opencl, which they have the worst implementation of despite initially developing and developing their own api?

if this ends up being halfway decent you'll be able to just pay some money and run vulkan code on macs

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 22, 2016

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

one thing that bugs me about modern marketing is videos that are about describing the making of the video itself.

like when you watch the Victorias Secret runway event thing they do. the broadcast is all about making the broadcast itself, about being a model, about everything going on to... show you the thing you're watching.. which is them explaining showing it to you...

this one too is like "when samsung approached us to make this demo..." and it doesn't even show you the demo uninterrupted, it's broken up and spliced over top of speech. it's 65 seconds of footage, some of which is repeated scenes, and the rest talking about being asked to make demo.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

one thing that bugs me about modern marketing is videos that are about describing the making of the video itself.

like when you watch the Victorias Secret runway event thing they do. the broadcast is all about making the broadcast itself, about being a model, about everything going on to... show you the thing you're watching.. which is them explaining showing it to you...

this one too is like "when samsung approached us to make this demo..." and it doesn't even show you the demo uninterrupted, it's broken up and spliced over top of speech. it's 65 seconds of footage, some of which is repeated scenes, and the rest talking about being asked to make demo.

remember how everyone predicted that the millenial generation would be impervious to marketing because they will be ultra savvy to all of the tricks? well what actually happened is they became marketing fans. they will talk about marketing campaigns in the same admiring tones gen-xers talked about music or films they like. so, brands engage now not by talking about the boring old product, but with an exciting meta narrative about the brand.

it's a living hell, basically

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

a non-deterministic flowchart? well im sold.

finally now that they've sorted the graphics problem out well have mobile phone games that aren't utter poo poo garbage of the worst kind im sure

AtomD fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 24, 2016

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

As a Millennial I posted:

why is the linux thread full of people who are never seen elsewhere in teh pos. same as the cat thread, the android thread, etc. i don't like it. nope

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

PleasureKevin posted:

~postmodernism~

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
did apple create the whole metanarrative thing when they'd do the white background jony ive videos for loving everything like 8 years ago

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Amethyst posted:

try again bud. valve doesn't make games

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

graph posted:

did apple create the whole metanarrative thing when they'd do the white background jony ive videos for loving everything like 8 years ago

no, those videos tell you how they made a product.

what i'm talking about is videos that tell you how they made the video itself.

which is not to be confused with a "behind-the-scenes" video showing how they made another video.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

half life 3 will surely usher in the era of vulcan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ludwig van Halen posted:

try again bud. valve doesn't make games

gently caress off