Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have two computers with paid windows 10 licenses and I have never seen any ads.

edit; also vulkan seems really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaggar posted:

idk that's my guess cause the only people complaining about ads in windows 10 are pirates

yeah ive never seen ads in win10

ban pleasurekevin for piracy i guess

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i also havent seen ads.

i have a version of windows 10 that was somehow upgraded from a version of windows 8 that was upgraded from a pirated version of windows 7

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a legit version of Windows 10 pro shows ads by default and if you don't see them then your brain is broken from inhaling ads all your life

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i've seen ads, but only in windows store apps which i rarely use

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

josh04 posted:

i spent today writing a vulkan test app. it took me 2,000 lines of code to get a spinning cube on screen, an improvement over the official example i was working from which managed 3,000. mine only displays the blue channel though, so more fool me.

update: my colour problems were baked into the texture and i forgot to check. advantage: vulkan

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

shaggar talks out his rear end about windows 10 ads.

it seems that no one (no these forums anyway) can determine who sees ads and why. both pro and home users, legit and pirated copies, inside and outside the US (i think), seem to see ads. it is probably randomized, A-B tested, based on usage and other poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a legit version of Windows 10 pro shows ads by default and if you don't see them then your brain is broken from inhaling ads all your life

no it doesn't. you probably pirated your windows

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there are definitely ads in the start menu on legit copies

they can be disabled manually or by GPO, but they're there and on by default, they're called "suggestions"

i don't know about the lock screen, at a guess it's probably some third-party oem crapware that enable lock-screen notifications by default

bonus, if windows detects you have a pc from certain oems, or certain devices, it will automagically download and install their "modern" apps, which can then push bullshit notifications to the desktop and lock screen

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
start menu has ads, never seen a lockscreen with one

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

no it doesn't. you probably pirated your windows

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

shaggar can't tell the difference between adverts and opportunities to interact with microsoft's brands and brand partners

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

shaggar loves engaging with Brands

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

shaggar loves engaging with Brands

no ads here, just a bunch of FREE enhancements and app opportunities

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The OpenGL / Vulkan Slides From Khronos @ SIGGRAPH 2016

quote:

STANDARDS --
Yesterday were The Khronos Group sessions at SIGGRAPH 2016. I already covered the OpenCL session while now here are my notes from the OpenGL/Vulkan BoF along with the presentation material.

Here are my OpenGL/Vulkan notes from watching the livestream yesterday and going back through the slides today:

- Covering the new ARB_gl_spirv OpenGL Extension that allows OpenGL drivers to accept compiled SPIR-V code. The SPIR-V output from glslang is compatible with this extension.

- The slides incorrectly say Mesa 12.1 was released "yesterday" with OpenGL 4.5. Mesa 12.1 isn't anticipated until September (and may be called Mesa 13.0). Currently only the i965 Intel driver is basically at the GL 4.5 level while RadeonSI/Nouveau are still at OpenGL 4.3, but could reach OpenGL 4.5 by September.

- GLEW 2.0 has been released.

- There's "little demand" for a new OpenGL ES version this year... But there is interest in making OpenGL ES more robust and for delivering fixes/extensions to GLES 3.x.

- Vulkan Next is in development (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Khronos-Vulkan-Next), see that article for those post-1.0 details.

- Unreal Engine 4 is making great progress with its Vulkan render architecture.

- Epic Games notes Vulkan driver problems, "Drivers are greatly improved, but you’ll still run into BSODs."

- id Software also ran into Vulkan driver issues. The "small issues" delaying their their Doom Vulkan patch was "driver issues" and the Vulkan swap chain being "surprisingly hard to get right."

- MoltenVK brings a Vulkan-over-Metal implementation to iOS and Mac OS.

- NVIDIA NSIGHT will be brought to Linux in the future along with Android.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

treasure bear posted:

shaggar can't tell the difference between adverts and opportunities to interact with microsoft's brands and brand partners

no I just don't have any ads in my windows 10

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my win 10 10 pro i had to disable the ads that randomly started showing up in start and on lock screen, i am okay with the random picked lockscreen pictures but the ads were hosed up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't have any ads in the start menu or in the spotlight lock screen images.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

better let satya know your install is broken

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tankakern posted:

- MoltenVK brings a Vulkan-over-Metal implementation to iOS and Mac OS.

it's GLide all over again

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Perplx posted:

no ads here, just a bunch of FREE enhancements and app opportunities

you know you can unpin all that poo poo and just have the bar on the left right?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

look at this slow poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efNhBh1og3U

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

itsdd kind of impressive that that is on ios, but i feel like slightly fewer fish at a steady 30+fps would be way better

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
iOS is Dog poo poo Garbage

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
macs can't play games

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think furmark should have less fur to render because it doesn't look great running on my Pentium D.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

trap sprung

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Salt Fish posted:

I think furmark should have less fur to render because it doesn't look great running on my Pentium D.

nice false equivalency

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

radv: status update or is dota2 working yet?

awesome!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
fffFUCK YEAH! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :woop: :woop: :toot: WOO

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

paging smythe for the dota announcement

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pram posted:

no one cares you piece of poo poo

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hahahaha

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Panty Saluter posted:

Wait, pram was back? And now hes banned again?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pram is in posting heaven with nanerpus and preg net

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

things are looking good in the land of amd running linux

Windows 10 vs. Linux Radeon Software Performance, Including AMDGPU-PRO & RadeonSI

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

drat, david airlie and bas nieuwenhuizen are hard at work these days

Testing The Open-Source "RADV" Radeon Vulkan Driver vs. AMDGPU-PRO
RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver Continues Building Up Features Quickly
It's Been Another Exciting Week Of RADV Development (Radeon Vulkan)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is officially coming to SteamOS & Linux, port by Feral Interactive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yospos is not rss

• Locked thread