Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

I read that somewhere else too and thought, this can't be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I mean, the idea of "hippies" has changed and evolved over time, but hippies of the 60s and 70s were definitely appropriating Native American/First Nations culture.

I don't have a tonne of time at the moment, but here are some relevant links if anyone is interested in something educational:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/08/19/hippies-and-indians-pathway-mainstream-129736

http://www.academia.edu/943758/New_Buffalo_Playing_Indian_and_the_Culture_of_Counter-Culture

Basically hippies just co-opted a lot of stuff and turned it into the meaningless New Age crap we are familiar with today, watering down any significance things might've had: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuzPoidV4nI

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I grew up in Old Hippie Mecca (Taos/Santa Fe area) so I'm kinda ashamed that hadn't jumped out at me already. Generic NMican culture is already a mashup of Native, Mexican and Catholic stuff but there was definitely a line between turquoise jewelry and the (white)people who went on 'vision journeys'.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Today's video covers two full chapters of Turok! We knife our way through what's probably the closest thing the game has to a "stealth" segment, and meet back up with plenty of people who aren't Slade.

04: Death Valley, Reunions

I appreciate, by the way, that this thread is being probably more culturally-sensitive toward Native Americans than any of the Turok games.

Crabtree posted:

Did this game really have a white guy shame Turok about not being proud of his heritage by not being interested in using a composite bow in the age of loving Space Marines? Is this the reason why Turok left Wolf Pack? Because he couldn't go 5 minutes without Grunge Colonel Kurtz never loving shutting up about knowing apparently everything about the tribe he comes from?

"Turok, you should be more open to an all protein diet because your ancestors were totally into Buffalo meat like the kind I've synthesized here in our star trek vending machine."

"Turok, you should be accustomed to wearing this headdress that I've bought off of Space E-Bay for you."
These are all fantastic; thank you.

PSWII60 posted:

This seems really easy to get lost in.
I get lost a few times, and this isn't even my first playthrough. Jungle planets get pretty same-y.

Blind Sally posted:

In the final encounter, he rides around on a Rocket-Launcher-Flame-Thrower-TRex and you kill him by dropping trees on him (Tal'set is such a badass that he can cut them down in a single axe stroke). Too bad its absurdity couldn't save Turok: Evolution from being pretty boring.
This whole recap of Evolution sounds absurd; I've only ever known it as "that one Turok game that gave my roommate motion-sickness."

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 28, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Blind Sally posted:

The Confederate soldier in question was Captain Tobias Bruckner:

In the final encounter, he rides around on a Rocket-Launcher-Flame-Thrower-TRex and you kill him by dropping trees on him (Tal'set is such a badass that he can cut them down in a single axe stroke). Too bad its absurdity couldn't save Turok: Evolution from being pretty boring.

:stare:

I lost track of the Turok series after Turok 2. I was not aware, or was briefly aware but forgot, that this game existed or that there was a ps2 Turok. This thread is full of revelations for me.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I remember when that style of duel wielding was incredibly popular.

Thank Christ it has gone extinct. :gonk:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I blame Halo 2. Or, more accurately, I blame the Matrix.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Did he really do the "Turok, let me tell you about Indians" thing again?

Also, Wolf Pack going from a small exclusive unit to a full size army reminds me of Bulletstorm, except this did it three years earlier.

Episode: 23(!) large raptors, 4 Helghast, 4 dogasaurus, 1 compsognathus
Total: 18 small raptors, 32 large raptors, 11 Helghast, 4 dogasaurus, 1 compsognathus

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Fish Noise posted:

Total: 18 small raptors, 32 large raptors, 11 Helghast, 4 dogasaurus, 1 compsognathus

I'm basically rooting for the dinosaurs at this point. Watching that knife animation again and again and again has forced me to conclude that Turok is the real monster.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
Ok so found this lets play, discover existence of Redfaction movie watch said movie, its the least bad video game movie I've ever seen, But very much lacked in blowing up things for redfaction. it cant be cannon though, a building survived in Eos.

I actually tried to play This Turok a few months ago, I didn't even get to the elevator, I kept dieing in building whit said elevator, for and fps with regening health its actually pretty brutal if your outa cover for a few seconds you just die, unless you qte kill something.
One thing thats really werid is that your hold time on a compound bow is so short, the reason modern compound bows have all those pulleys and poo poo is so you dont have to expend effort to hold the draw, that is the entire point of a compound bow.

Now when do we get half robot dinosaurs ?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

Did he really do the "Turok, let me tell you about Indians" thing again?

Also, Wolf Pack going from a small exclusive unit to a full size army reminds me of Bulletstorm, except this did it three years earlier.

Not gonna include the Carnotaurus?

I never understood the whole gimmick of can only hold the bow for so long before it fires on its own. Doesn't that make it less effective that nearly every other gun in your inventory? Especially when you include the lower rate of fire and lack of sniping specialization. There would need to be a huge payoff in damage to make it worth using. Does the bow at least have a silent property where it doesn't alert everyone if you kill someone with it?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

PSWII60 posted:

Not gonna include the Carnotaurus?

I never understood the whole gimmick of can only hold the bow for so long before it fires on its own. Doesn't that make it less effective that nearly every other gun in your inventory? Especially when you include the lower rate of fire and lack of sniping specialization. There would need to be a huge payoff in damage to make it worth using. Does the bow at least have a silent property where it doesn't alert everyone if you kill someone with it?
Only counting the canned animation knifekills. Gun kills and first person repeated-wimpy-stabs are skipped.

From the videos, the bow is silent, but stealth appears to very much be a "technically present" shallow afterthought.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

Only counting the canned animation knifekills. Gun kills and first person repeated-wimpy-stabs are skipped.

Oh right, nevermind.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Fish Noise posted:

I like this post.

I like it so much that I made these:

Here's the base.

Oh wow, this is amazing. I just want to know if Turok had the worst luck ever in finding a Space Hippie commander or if Family Tree Search/DNA Profiling is how all Wolf Pack is trained.

"Lebowitz, you're ethnically Jewish so you use this sling in combat zones. YES, EVEN IF THEY WEAR STANDARD ISSUE POWER ARMOR. By next week we will begin using call signs only in Yiddish."

"Smith, the pictures of the Dinka show there were plenty of women without clothing so I've already taken the liberty of incinerating all of your fatigues and armor. Here is a Fishing Spear."

"Frank, unfortunately you're a bit of a mix of everything so you'll just have to take a longer approach. First month is Scotish Month. I will expect you to become and remain fluent in Gaelic as I will switch to it and any other language I put into you at a moment's notice!"

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 29, 2016

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Today's video is brought to you by ragdolling! In his search for the ship's missing comm unit, Turok meets up with more members of Whiskey Company - as well as a familiar foe.

05: Ghost In The Shadow

A couple of folks have pointed out that the compound bow in this game is pretty useless -- and you're right! In addition to the limited wind-up window, arrow kills are also not considered "stealthy" -- at least, I was never able to pull one off without alerting nearby guards.

Klaus88 posted:

I remember when that style of duel wielding was incredibly popular.

Thank Christ it has gone extinct. :gonk:
Dual-wielding can be a great way to use the strengths of multiple weapons simultaneously, but it absolutely doesn't mesh with combat that's built around left-trigger aiming.

Panboy posted:

I actually tried to play This Turok a few months ago, I didn't even get to the elevator, I kept dieing in building whit said elevator, for and fps with regening health its actually pretty brutal if your outa cover for a few seconds you just die, unless you qte kill something.
Yeah, the elevator room sucks. I don't blame you!

Panboy posted:

Now when do we get half robot dinosaurs ?
Sorry!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Wow, not only are they aping the character design of Gears of War, they're also aping the unintended homoeroticism, too!

Also, what type of a dinosaur were those gecko-things supposed to be?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I'm just calling them dogasauruses since they have ears and are probably made up.

Episode: 1 compsognathus, 11 dogasaurus, 11 large raptors, 3 small raptors, 1 Helghast
Total: 21 small raptors, 43 large raptors, 12 Helghast, 15 dogasaurus, 2 compsognathus

That's 93 QTE knife kills by my count so far, and we've still got a whole pile of "I can't remember who any of these people are" miscellaneous dudes to go through, so I'm guessing... 400 by the end of the game.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Good to see you guys back, I thought Fifth Element had broken you.

BTW: Your giving Activision too much credit, it was 10,000 to name your kid Turok.

syzpid fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 3, 2016

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I rented Turok when it was new, and it was so bad. It was so bad and full of unlikeable characters and had so little to enjoy. The masochist in me is curious as to how it will end, and this video was the point at which I got stuck - I hated those hit-and-run dinosaurs. Of course, I had no idea you could abuse the knife mechanic. Thanks for playing for my amusement!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Samovar posted:

Also, what type of a dinosaur were those gecko-things supposed to be?

The gecko things are based on Postosuchus a not dinosaur that is more closely related to crocodiles.

The Turok wiki also mentions the Pristichampsus as a possible inspiration for them.

Neither is exact but the first one is closer I think.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Wasn't it Acclaim and not Activision that did all that crazy poo poo?

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

What dinosaur-hunting game would be complete without a T-Rex battle?

06: Mother Superior

I actually would really like to see a dinosaur-hunting game that uses fluffy feathery dinosaurs instead of sharp scaly ones.

NotAnArtist posted:

I rented Turok when it was new, and it was so bad. It was so bad and full of unlikeable characters and had so little to enjoy. The masochist in me is curious as to how it will end, and this video was the point at which I got stuck - I hated those hit-and-run dinosaurs. Of course, I had no idea you could abuse the knife mechanic. Thanks for playing for my amusement!
This is my second playthrough and I still beefed it a bunch of times, for what that's worth! QTEs are great for masking reload-from-checkpoints.

PSWII60 posted:

The gecko things are based on Postosuchus a not dinosaur that is more closely related to crocodiles.
The Turok wiki also mentions the Pristichampsus as a possible inspiration for them.
Neither is exact but the first one is closer I think.
I believe at this point we've already done more dinosaur research than the folks who made Turok!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Wasn't it Acclaim and not Activision that did all that crazy poo poo?
Neither of whom were responsible for this game! I think we just keep saying Activision because this game's generic enough to feel like something they'd produce.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Phenwah posted:

I actually would really like to see a dinosaur-hunting game that uses fluffy feathery dinosaurs instead of sharp scaly ones.
Off-Road Velociraptor Safari, I poo poo you not.

Episode: 6 large raptors, 1 compsognathus, 10 baby rex, 1 adult rex, 1 dogasaurus
Total: 21 small raptors, 49 large raptors, 12 Helghast, 16 dogasaurus, 3 compsognathus, 10 baby rex, 1 adult rex

112 combined QTE knife kills. Has an asteroid been named after Turok yet?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Phenwah, I remember now why I stopped playing: it wasn't fun. I'm reasonably sure this was asked of you by one of your co-commentators, and I don't remember your answer. You're a better man than I for plodding through this underwhelming mess!

I wonder what the devs where thinking when designing the T-Rex fight:
"How can we make this gigantic, terrifying creature really drive in how dangerous it is?"
"Give the player a space that protects them 100%?"
"BRILLIANT"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You guys are right, the T-Rex does look like it has buck teeth; they tried to make it look intimidating with extended fangs, but instead made it look goofy.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

It's another two-fer! In today's video, we're introduced to multiple new enemy types, another boss encounter, and more plot details conveyed in the form of cutscenes! Also in today's video, I cut out enough deaths to make myself look like a competent video-game player.

07: Killing Fields, The Shortest Straw

Fish Noise posted:

Off-Road Velociraptor Safari, I poo poo you not.
Oh man, it's like I'm back in college.

NotAnArtist posted:

Phenwah, I remember now why I stopped playing: it wasn't fun.
That seems to be a common sentiment in this thread re: Turok.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So Wolf Pack's "thing" is knife kills? Then why did he bother doing any bow bullshit when they were supposed to all be knife bros?! What the gently caress is the purpose of the bow anyway if most of this game is shooting and stabbing things?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Eurypterids got pretty big but they were aquatic and only vaguely resembled scorpions.

I quite like how these radscorpions have a near-instantaneously lethal poison gas or something that conveniently doesn't get released by bullet punctures! This does not offset my disappointment at their unknifekillability, however.

Episode: 3 small raptors, 2 large raptors
Total: 24 small raptors, 51 large raptors, 12 Helghast, 16 dogasaurus, 3 compsognathus, 10 baby rex, 1 adult rex
117 combined

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crabtree posted:

So Wolf Pack's "thing" is knife kills? Then why did he bother doing any bow bullshit when they were supposed to all be knife bros?! What the gently caress is the purpose of the bow anyway if most of this game is shooting and stabbing things?

What is a bow and arrow if not a long range knife.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

What is a bow and arrow if not a long range knife.

A way to kill a lot of Frenchmen.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I appreciate the effort that Phenwah is putting in to the LP, but I can't help but agree with the co-commentators regarding how phoned in the game is. Doesn't appear to stop me from watching, but the level design, the enemies, it's all so uninspired and very much a reflection of how popular gears of war is/was, especially with regards to character design. jeez.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Agreed, really love that spider tank.

Fish Noise posted:

Eurypterids got pretty big but they were aquatic and only vaguely resembled scorpions.

Yeah they were definitely the largest scorpion-ish animals

The biggest land one was pulmonoscorpius but they were not even a quarter of the size of these guys.

Still like seeing Slipknot live, not even a little ashamed. :colbert:
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 10, 2016

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
I had a friend who said this was the best game of the year when it came out.

He also thought slipknot was a "really cool band".

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

NotAnArtist posted:

I appreciate the effort that Phenwah is putting in to the LP, but I can't help but agree with the co-commentators regarding how phoned in the game is. Doesn't appear to stop me from watching, but the level design, the enemies, it's all so uninspired and very much a reflection of how popular gears of war is/was, especially with regards to character design. jeez.

Yeah I think that makes it a really good candidate for LP actually; there's little in the game worth discovering by itself so you might as well watch someone else do it for you. I've described this to a friend who was really into N64 Turok and called it "Gears of Turok" which seems to sum up the entire low effort approach. "Turok: Space Marine" was my second choice.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I just can't imagine a dev team lazy enough to yawn this game into existence. Like it couldn't have started out as a Turok game. It had to be something else that was trying to be Gears of War, but someone paid someone else for Turok and uh -- well -- you got 7 months to pull this off Steve. So Dances with Skinheads was hastily crafted together over existing environments, 5 months entirely spent adding hundreds of the same Raptors to stab and TUROK 08.

Also did you know this Dinosaur would be a good addition to liven this game up because I'm worried you guys will run out of patience to not just scream as the video keeps going on.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Today's video brings us another boss battle that overstays its welcome! Hope you like scorpions.

08: Down And Out

Crabtree posted:

What the gently caress is the purpose of the bow anyway if most of this game is shooting and stabbing things?
The Turok character in the comics is prominently featured wielding a bow, and therefore...

Crabtree posted:

I just can't imagine a dev team lazy enough to yawn this game into existence. Like it couldn't have started out as a Turok game. It had to be something else that was trying to be Gears of War, but someone paid someone else for Turok and uh -- well -- you got 7 months to pull this off Steve.
I thought this might be the case, but, this was also the first game from a new development team and the first and only game from its publisher. It's possible someone was sitting on the rights to Turok and just couldn't figure out what the heck to do with it.

NotAnArtist posted:

Mediocre last-gen shooters are my aesthetic.

PSWII60 posted:

Agreed, really love that spider tank.
Oh man, I bet you can't wait until we encounter another one!!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The noise that plays when you talk to someone over the radio sounds like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3SxEOvAOEg

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
XENOZOIC TALES IS A COMIC FIRST AND FOREMOST! Cadillacs and Dinosaurs should have gotten more episodes but they can't use it much because GM owns the successful title by the word Cadillac.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

No sprinting, but dodging. Now that reminds me of the Unreal series. This game is just weirdly reminiscent of all sorts of things.

Episode: Not a single goddamn scorpion, 1 compsognathus
Total: 24 small raptors, 51 large raptors, 12 Helghast, 16 dogasaurus, 4 compsognathus, 10 baby rex, 1 adult rex
118 combined. Is the game trying to put the brakes on its own knife train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Well the head of the beast looks like it came from the Dunkleosteus, the closest thing I can find for the rest of it is this thing from Devil May Cry 2.

Try as I might I could not find any thing about a plesiosaur genus that had tentacles instead of flippers, or tentacles at all for that matter. I think they may have made it up.

• Locked thread