Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Beats that one time the British government proposed deploying chicken-powered nuclear landmines in Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Great post av combo there. Mostly because potoos always have a wtf expression.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

drat

cold war weapon guys smoked some wild poo poo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ChubbyChecker posted:

drat

cold war weapon guys smoked some wild poo poo

B.F. Skinner's pigeon guidance computer was triple-redundant and self correcting in a 2 v 1 control input conflict

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pigeon

https://www.si.edu/object/bf-skinners-nose-cone-pigeon-guided-missile%3Anmah_690069

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Obligatory Fat Electrician video about the Kamikaze Pigeons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfkymhJyxBM

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
RIP P8

https://x.com/TheDreadShips/status/1726930897650504060?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s Poseidon’s plane. It’s supposed to be there.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
How else are you supposed to simulate water landing evacs

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I can't make out what kind of weapon these interceptor drones are using. A net? Some kind of plastic buckshot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwHunj46Ko0

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It looks like a fluid so maybe something that gums up the rotors?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Madurai posted:

I can't make out what kind of weapon these interceptor drones are using. A net? Some kind of plastic buckshot?

Metal or polymer streamers to foul the propellers of the target uav. it's light weight but high tensile strength so it won't immediately harm anything it falls on.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
anti drone cum blast

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Sorry the more important question is: can we talk about this patch?

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Chammies cummies.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oysters Autobio posted:

Sorry the more important question is: can we talk about this patch?

Turn it into solid color line art and Id unironically love it

Edit: give the chameleon cartoon angry eyebrows and it's perfect

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Give it googly eyes on the real patch, represented on the computer via animation.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Turn it into solid color line art and Id unironically love it

Edit: give the chameleon cartoon angry eyebrows and it's perfect

yeah that patch is *so* close to greatness

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

yeah that patch is *so* close to greatness

I prototyped the basic idea using AI (AI is not a replacement for creative effort) and the results are nearly everything I hoped they could be.

Basic idea but boring.

He homgry! I love the little fork.

There's a good bit of AI abominationing going on here, but the basic idea, I love it so much. Look at how angry at that drone he is! There should be more ratfink inspired unit patches.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
What app did you use for that? I tried making some patch drafts recently with an AI tool and they didn't look nearly that good.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tyro posted:

What app did you use for that? I tried making some patch drafts recently with an AI tool and they didn't look nearly that good.

I used bing image creator. It's got a lot of restrictions but the training data is positively enormous. And probably illegal.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

I used bing image creator. It's got a lot of restrictions but the training data is positively enormous. And probably illegal.

Sweet thanks. Playing around with this, it's far better than the one I tried using last week

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Madurai posted:

I think I talked to these guys at an industry day not too long ago. If it's the same thing, yeah it's a net.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Couple gun YouTubers that do high-speed camera shots shot a bunch of RPGs/recoilless rifles to a) demonstrate the effects of backblasts and b) get some sweet high-speed footage of controlled explosions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZaNtK1l8cI

Except one of the explosions wasn't as controlled as intended, and the RPG-7 failed catastrophically.
They did a follow-up video with details on the injury/recovery of the guy and as much of the footage they could include as per YouTube's TOS/monetization guidelines.

To put it very mildly, I'm beyond amazed the guy survived "relatively" unscathed and didn't suffer amputation or anything that would have resulted in rapid and non-recoverable blood loss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASE0e5DkFkE

If I understand their interpretation correctly, it turns out you should be very careful with refurbished/resleeved launchers and choose your boosters equally carefully.

Qtamo
Oct 7, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If I understand their interpretation correctly, it turns out you should be very careful with refurbished/resleeved launchers and choose your boosters equally carefully.

I might be completely mistaken, but didn't the launcher being a refurbished one basically save the guy's life? If their assumption about the booster failing and a part of it blocking the exhaust is correct, if the launcher hadn't been a refurbished one it would've basically turned into a huge grenade, since the pressure wouldn't have gotten out through the failing weld area but instead built up until the whole tube would've failed. Now a part of the building up pressure was released in a bit less violent way (and I think a bit towards the side that's away from him). I'm not about to go looking, but I'd assume that a "grenade" failure would be more likely to be lethal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah if the weld hadn't hosed with the original tube's hardening/temper there would have been no pressure-relief safety device.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

To put it very mildly, I'm beyond amazed the guy survived "relatively" unscathed and didn't suffer amputation or anything that would have resulted in rapid and non-recoverable blood loss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASE0e5DkFkE

I think the thing I'm most curious about is what happens if that helmet is actually strapped on. Does he get more or less injured.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

kill me now posted:

I think the thing I'm most curious about is what happens if that helmet is actually strapped on. Does he get more or less injured.

Maybe that’s what you’re alluding to but US soldiers in WW2 apparently believed that the helmet strap would break your neck if you got hit by a blast and consequently often did not strap on their helmets. Whether or not the belief had merit I don’t know.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

my kinda ape posted:

Maybe that’s what you’re alluding to but US soldiers in WW2 apparently believed that the helmet strap would break your neck if you got hit by a blast and consequently often did not strap on their helmets. Whether or not the belief had merit I don’t know.

Its a bit of that, a bit of the cartoonish timing of it flying off and the fact that he had a brain bleed and skull fracture.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

Those are great! What are your prompts for the art style?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oysters Autobio posted:

Those are great! What are your prompts for the art style?

The art style was "military unit patch" and "cartoon chameleon"

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Couple gun YouTubers that do high-speed camera shots shot a bunch of RPGs/recoilless rifles to a) demonstrate the effects of backblasts and b) get some sweet high-speed footage of controlled explosions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZaNtK1l8cI

I've loaded and shot hundreds of 84 mil rounds up through the years and watching him grasp the bell end when closing the breech is puckering. Wish they'd gotten genuine loads, especially the illumination rounds - even while the other rounds are earth-shattering, the illumination rounds bring it up another notch :catstare: Fortunately they're usually shot standing as a peloton ("Team One - fire! *counts down 25 seconds* "Team Two fire!" etc.) so you get more venting of gas and you don't get the percussive effect on your body. Hell of a bang though. Would've loved to see that poo poo in 3000fps, especially with the quiver test (put an empty 84mm quiver about five metres behind the gun when firing - it's fiber-reinforced polymer and strong as anything, and gets blown into smithereens, thereby inspiring recruits to Respect The Backblast and inciting the very good safety record in service, with no major injuries or deaths that come to mind. Unlike a certain unfortunate ANA runner during a hectic situation a few years back.)

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I wouldn't fire any kind of refurbished launcher if you gave me a two-story house with a heated workshop.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

I dunno. That heated shop sounds nice

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

It's not like I was planning on living forever, anyhow.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Gonna need the free home after I cant work thabks to the injuries incurred by the launcher failing

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

My retirement plan is dying on the job, anyhow. this is a step up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Force de Fappe posted:

I've loaded and shot hundreds of 84 mil rounds up through the years and watching him grasp the bell end when closing the breech is puckering. Wish they'd gotten genuine loads, especially the illumination rounds - even while the other rounds are earth-shattering, the illumination rounds bring it up another notch :catstare: Fortunately they're usually shot standing as a peloton ("Team One - fire! *counts down 25 seconds* "Team Two fire!" etc.) so you get more venting of gas and you don't get the percussive effect on your body. Hell of a bang though. Would've loved to see that poo poo in 3000fps, especially with the quiver test (put an empty 84mm quiver about five metres behind the gun when firing - it's fiber-reinforced polymer and strong as anything, and gets blown into smithereens, thereby inspiring recruits to Respect The Backblast and inciting the very good safety record in service, with no major injuries or deaths that come to mind. Unlike a certain unfortunate ANA runner during a hectic situation a few years back.)

I wouldn't fire any kind of refurbished launcher if you gave me a two-story house with a heated workshop.

I was a designated gunner for the Gustav, and I can attest to all of the above. That loading procedure made me very nervous.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I mentioned this to my Dad and he had a Carl Gustav story. In the 1970s his unit in the Britsh Army was doing practise drills with it and the NCO leading the training had accidentally ordered practise ammunition instead of totally intert drill ammuntion.

They found out on the 1st shot when the person doing the drill fired the round at a passing civilan lorry on road along-side the range. Thankfully he was a bad shot and missed ! The lorry continued utterly oblivious and it was all quietly hushed up.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Do not point the Carl Gustav at anything you are not willing to destroy.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Force de Fappe posted:

Grasp the WHAT? :captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Arcella posted:

Do not point the Carl Gustav at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Apparently you shouldn't point it away from anything you're not willing to destroy either.