Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tastefully arranged labia posted:

loving hell. There an article to go with those photos yet? Any survivors?

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/army-releases-combat-photographers-last-photos-before-fatal-explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
WP rounds being fired on Mosul:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=abb_1496577415

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

For our discussion, the conservation of momentum when each gun is fired is more relevant: as the projectile has a momentum of some magnitude and direction, so too does the gun have an equal and opposite momentum (y'know, recoil). If each gun was mounted on a truck and the weight of each gun was also similar (Wikipedia claims they are similar enough *cough*), then the chief differences between them would simply be the angle of their momentum relative to the truck (and thus, the angle at which they apply an impulse to the truck) and what that impulse to the truck would be like (i.e. how they each manage the recoil). The 120mm gun's momentum would be roughly horizontal to the ground while the 155mm gun would have both significant horizontal and significant vertical components to its momentum (i.e. it would be at an angle). The impulse that each would impart on the truck I don't know, because I don't exactly have lots of technical information about either gun and high-speed footage of each recoiling, so let's just say "gently caress it" and claim that they're roughly comparable and either one would wreck a trailer in short order.

If you're considering momentum, though, you can't just consider the projectile, because much of the momentum is that carried by the propellant gases, and the 155mm gun is using a much larger propellant charge.

But yes, I think the takeaway is the same: truck trailers ain't designed for that poo poo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Interesting attack plan: Drive right up to a tank and start shooting with small arms. Doesn't work too well.

https://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=cb39ad713605

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

For that kind of money, you might as well buy another modern and useful firearm.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

250lbs of HE doesn't really care whether it's contained in a steel bomb case or a pickup truck when it goes off. Any difference in sound isn't something someone could perceive.

Different kinds of HE have different blast characteristics. Two quantities of merit are called brisance and heave. The former is directly related to detonation pressure, which in turn determines the strength of the shockwave. The second is the capability of the explosion to do work. You can think of brisance as the capability of the bomb to break things into pieces, and heave as how far it throws them. Military explosives are generally higher brisance because they're in a steel case that is intended to fragment into shrapnel and not just burst open on one side.

Military explosives are also more energetic than non-military, because military explosives operate under tight constraints. If you want a bigger car bomb, steal a bigger car. If you're mining, drill a bigger hole and pour in more ANFO. But you can't make an artillery barrel or bomb case arbitrarily wide.

What this means is that a 500lb. GP bomb which is about 250lbs of steel bomb case and 250lbs of HMX will be more energetic than 250lbs of Semtex packed into the frame of a car, both because it's going to turn the 250lbs of steel bomb case into flying lawnmower blades, and because 250lbs of HMW will release considerably more energy than 250lbs of Semtex. But this is all engineering differences, stuff that maybe you could determine after the fact by forensic examination of the scene of the explosion. If either of them goes off right next to you there's no loving way you'd be able to tell the difference based on your own senses.

Obviously the sound of an aerial bomb or artillery shell falling on your head is going to sound different than someone driving an old Yugo up to your checkpoint, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I was just wondering in the context of Syria for example, as we've seen investigations into whether an explosion in a hospital or other civilian building was caused by an airstrike or by a bomb, how reliable are eyewitness accounts of what they see/hear/feel as far as the explosion is concerned.

Eyewitness accounts about *anything* aren't reliable.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Listen to this buckaroo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

*That* dude look like he about to commit a war crime.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Has anyone ever put spring snakes under the fuse body?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Mortars aren't accurate in the sniper rifle sense, but a good gun crew, FO, and plotters will be getting good effect on target in under four rounds

The way mortars work is you'll have like four guns in a section. Forward observer calls in a grid, and the lead gun for the section fires off a round. Lets say the round lands 100m to the left over the target. The observer will overcompensate and adjust 200m to the right. Second round hits and its 100m to the right of the target. You can now adjust 100m back to the left and fire for effect.

Why the overcompensation? If the first round is 100m to the left why doesn't the observer just compensate and adjust 100m to the right?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I understand bracketing for a larger error but if the first round was 100 meters off I'd expect just "right 100 (or whatever in mils) and fire for effect."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Itchy_Grundle posted:

A new gunner in my company accidentally shot a deer with a training HEAT round from an M-1.

He was new and very nervous, and was having a really hard time identifying targets. While scanning haphazardly he mistook the deer shaped hot spot in the thermal for the PC shaped hot spot in the thermal. The TC was so flustered with the guy by that point he just yelled "Fire" when the gunner yelled "Identified".

Best part was that we had the video and audio recorded on a through sight video unit. To the gunner's credit he nailed that thing center mass.

Do you still have this video?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

That Works posted:

One way or another, there will be a few less insurgents.

https://i.imgur.com/qwUnjR3.mp4

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Syrian Lannister posted:

Well before religion entered

You're going really far back.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Multi-stage bullets are hype.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

Is this a wacky thing someone made for fun or does it really do...something.

Spotting round for the SMAW. That's a blank .22 Hornet round inside a 7.62x51 case firing a a 9mm tracer round.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

It won't damage the power of the round by a meaningful amount, but it does deflect the round up or down depending on whether you're shooting in or out.

Windshields are hard and take a good amount of energy to penetrate, and a hollowpointed round like carried by the police isn't going to make it through unscathed.. The much ballyhooed Teflon-coated cop-killer bullet, the KTW round, was a round invented by cops specifically to be able to reliably penetrate car windshields.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-buick-o-truth-2-windshields-outsidein/

Also I hope that guy was wearing earpro.

aphid_licker posted:

My reaction got a bit more understanding when I read the bit about the guys having killed someone hours ago but I would seriously prefer my police to not just loving spray rounds out of their moving vehicles

ObMeToo: Me too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

IIRC Jordan is relatively friendly with Israel. They're certainly not best buddies by any means but they're not rattling their sabers at each other or launching rockets or airstrikes across the border or whatever.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-44915099

quote:

Israel says it has carried out an evacuation of members of Syria's White Helmets civil defence group from a war zone in south-western Syria.

Some 422 volunteers and family members were taken to Jordan via the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights overnight.

The UK, one of the nations requesting Israel's help, hailed the operation and will assist with resettlement.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I just watched the movie while on a transatlantic flight. There's no such line. The book has a whole bit about the Red October and other soviet subs having sensitive gravitometers installed and using that data to compare against the data from their gravitometric surveys of the seafloor to precisely fix their positions underwater, but the movie dispenses with all that and glosses over it, substituting "hyperaccurate surveys of the underwater canyons."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Are most submarines in the US built this way as well? I never would’ve thought the inside would be two long cylinders surrounded by the hull. What’s in between them in the dead space? Air or ballast?

Air flasks and batteries.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do Vietnam era bomber crews sleep at night?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

PM: Don't tell me about the press — I know exactly who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country. The Times is read by people who actually do run the country. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by people who own the country. The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read the Sun?

Bernard Woolley: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Apparently the M82 is so efficient that it only has about as much recoil as a 12 gauge, so shooting it standing isn't impressive as long as you can hold it steady.

What about a mortar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYrjckzn-bY

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Motorola 68000 posted:

I saw a video on about this on youtube a loooong time ago. I think the most successful knee mortars were fielded by the Japanese during WWII if I'm not mistaken.

It was, but the point is that "knee mortar" is a misnomer. GIs who tried to use a captured knee mortar by bracing it on their legs wound up with a broken leg.

Or that's the story, anyway, I'm not sure how common it actually was. Sounds like a UL.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

The purpose-built cities are cool. Go check Norilsk on map. It’s a big city with all amenities, at some point you realize on the maps that there is no road leading out of there.

Why would there be no roads leading out of a mining center?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’m curious—setting up a trap that dropped people into a gigantic food processor seems like it would be illegal under international law

Why?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I went to Battlefield Vegas. A minigun indoors is surprisingly fine, just the entire room vibrating. A .50 BMG physically hurts even with ear protection because the concussion just smacks your head.

It also felt like it turned my entire chest into a bass drum.

They had this going on in the parking lot the day I was there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9gylhS5klc

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

The French copy no-one

That's clearly a battle kilt.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Steezo posted:

I wonder who's going to be the first to draw a dick on one?

Going to be? Was.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Poles find a leftover Tallboy in the middle of a shipping channel (it was dropped during a raid on the German heavy cruiser Lutzow, which sank in shallow water and kept being used as a static battery) and try to defuse it. Or rather, they try to ignite the explosive fill in such a way as to have it deflagrate rather than detonate.

Here's how that went:

https://twitter.com/aneta_l/status/1316042287902871552?s=20

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Change of Command looking good in SpecOps

That guy sitting there with the spinning rod is gonna be pissed they're scaring all the fish away.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They saw that SM-6 can target surface ships and wanted to one-up that with an anti-submarine mode.

So can Sea Sparrow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCG_Muavenet_(DM_357)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Nobody in that room wants to be there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

That's a lot of interceptors.

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1392179621349707780?s=20

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Scope posted:

What's the cost of one of those Iron Dome guided interceptor missiles vs. the cost of an unguided rocket.

Iron Dome only engages if the inbound is going to hit something important. The correct question is what’s the cost of one of the interceptors vs. the value of what the unguided rocket is going to blow up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Apparently a microburst at Ft. Hood some years ago.