Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Handsome Ralph posted:

So the cages don't work then? :thunk:

The cage seems relatively intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ASAPI posted:

Explosions are strange. We see images of craters and think that is most explosions. Those craters are formed by huge bombs, think hundreds of pounds of explosives. A grenade is less than one pound of explosives. So there is a huge sliding scale of destruction when dealing with explosives. This will often skew our perception of videos like this.

Blast also falls off with the cube of the distance.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

What’s the one that has a dual-piston design that traps all the propellant gases inside the launcher and has no backblast or flash? The Matador?

That always seemed like a good idea.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Grem posted:

How many miles away is that height from "woops shot junk into space hope it doesn't break a satellite?"

It's a ballistic missile, nothing there is going fast enough to reach orbit.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

kill me now posted:

Depending on the range of the missile, ballistic missiles absolutely do have apogees that take them into the areas that satellites orbit.

It doesn’t have to orbit to hit a passing satellite

The odds of hitting anything on a single hop up and down are so low as to be not worth worrying about unless you really want to look for something to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

How many amphetamines had he taken that day?

Possibly not enough.