Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

chitoryu12 posted:

That said, they're still claiming that all green T-90s seen are gifts to the Syrian government and definitely not Russians actively fighting in Syria.

Certainly possible. If I recall the Russian ground forces in Syria are speculated to be a Battalion Tactical Group of a Naval Infantry Brigade. I was under the impression that Morskaya Pekhota operates T-80s. Then again, BTGs in Ukraine operated all kinds of equipment "liberated from Ukrainian armouries". If it's Russian crewed, there must be another formation active in Syria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Proposed ground mount of GAU-8, from the DIVAD program that lead to Sergeant York.

Too beautiful for this world.

quote:

Not surprisingly, the General Electric Company proposal adapted their successful 30mm GAU-8 seven barrel cannon to an antiaircraft turret. In this mount, the externally powered GAU-8A was manned by a crew of two. Both the commander and the gunner had firing controls and either could operate the entire system. Nicknamed the Avenger, the proposed weapon had an effective kill range of 4000 meters as a design goal. Originally, the radar was an improved version of the one developed for the earlier Vulcan air defense system with which the fire control equipment had some items in common. Later, a more advanced radar system was proposed.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 13, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSj5RbWtR7c

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ruse posted:

He definitely got shot, you can hear the rounds snapping around him before he hits the dirt.

edit; here's the full video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3ElTvF52I

Abu Hajaar keeps loving up.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Had the tires come of a gun while towing it on the highway once.

Then this happened the same year.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A breakdown of the attack that Abu Hajaar was a part of.

http://spioenkop.blogspot.ca/2016/04/the-islamic-state-going-diy-inside-diy.html?m=1

On the one hand, I'm impressed that they have workshops turning out up-armoured Humvees. On the other hand, they drive through open fields into the teeth of RPGs again and again.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Maybe Abu Hajaar rolled through the field and lived?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Chinatown posted:

dont step on mines/IEDs is my takeaway from that video.

Would that it were so simple.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah tell that to the Koreans. They still butthurt about it. (probably not literally though)

Although based on photos from Nanking that is also quite possible.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That went from complacent to negligent real fast.

Yep. Holy gently caress.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Don't the Russians make HE or Thermobaric versions of many of their ATGMs? Not the worst idea if you can't get close enough to use a Carl G or LAW .

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It looks like they downplayed how hard he is in The Right Stuff.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

go3 posted:

ATGM Man probably has more kills than Chris Kyle and a hell of a better KDR

Until he takes Abu Hijaar to the ATGM range to deal with PTSD.

Still a great scene
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cq7hf4ylvY

I once looked at the loss rates of RCAF and German Starfighters, those guys had balls.

I wish The Right Stuff would return to theatres. I saw Apollo 13 on the big screen last year and it was incredible.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 2, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Elcan C79 would be nice if the mount wasn't loose. I can feel it wobble around whenever I handle my rifle, and that's being as careful as I can be to not touch the optic.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

A lot of people forget that during WW2 it wasn't just the nazis rounding up and killing Jews

A lot of people forget intentionally.

You have Romania and Bulgaria fighting on both sides and most of Central and Eastern Europe handing over their Jews and fielding SS divisions, and that's just the start.

Senior members of the French police as late as the 60's were former collaborators.

De-Nazification may or may not have worked, even Strauss was a Nazi.

Much easier to blame a handful of convicted war criminals for everything.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 7, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Even the fact that Greece and Italy both had civil wars against the communists in 1945-46 or that there was an insurgency against the Soviets in Poland and the Baltics complicates the tidy uncomplicated image of the war most people have.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Iraq had pretty much everything lying around, including Italian Tankettes and Shermans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzoZq4TwDog

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wish I had a pic, but Cubans put T-55 turrets on BTRs.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Duke Chin posted:

...people have too much goddamn time on their hands.

"Oiy, Dylan, bet you canna swim thru that bog there!"
"-Hold me pint an trousers."

Llanwrtyd Wells in Wales is the venue for the annual Man vs Horse Marathon which began in June 1980 following a conversation in the bar of the Neuadd Arms Hotel. The landlord overheard two men discussing the relative merits of men and horses running over mountainous terrain and decided to put this to the test.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Russian SOF in Syria. There's some good footage of an ATGM hitting a truck. :aaa:
Look for it at the 0:12 mark. those are the luckiest guys in Syria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AUlDFt4m30

e: Replaced with youtube with english subs.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 11, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Mexican police reported 9 dead. It's gotta be way more than 9. :aaa:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Even during WW2 it the ratio of artillery rounds to enemy casualties was crazy. I imagine small arms even more so. If you can get the enemy to leave you in possession of the field, bodycounts don't mean a whole lot.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My buddy was an EO tech and basically trained like an olympic athlete on his own time so he could make it through selection. He did, and eventually ended up in JTF2.

OTOH I knew another guy who thought walking to his car through the parking lot everyday and drinking Soylent would get him on CJIRU. He's still trying, bless his heart.

I heard SAR turns down would-be olympic athletes, and their recruiting pool probably doesn't include as many brodude crossfitters from battalion.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Isn't the Mexican Military or at least their Marines or commando or w/e the nation's police force. I've heard a lot of good things. They aren't corrupt as gently caress and do their job etc

Part of it is that they aren't local, and don't live in the community so it is much harder to threaten them or their families.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I suppose they could be tinkering with the fuses, because out of the box I thought they had to spin a certain number of times before arming.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Iraqi Army still hasn't figured out "cover" :nws: https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d3b_1406825957&comments=1

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In the spirit of fairness there are not many armies that would have done better against Israel in 1973 or the US in 1991.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wonder how much westerners with the Kurds gently caress.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MikeCrotch posted:

I like to think that PissPigGrandad is getting his boots filled on the reg

I find it endlessly funny that a guy who hangs out with the Chapo/Cumtown crowd is still fighting while most of the former military types went home.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Leftist comedians. Their post-election episodes are really good. Somehow a member of the NYC comedy/left crowd ended up with the Kurds.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So he just filled a grill with tannerite?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Yeah I know but its just a lot different from the videos you saw in 2011 in Libya and Syria when this poo poo all first started. I guess there are some dudes who have been in the poo poo for 6 years and know what's going on now. Probably not many though

Didn't some Chechens set up the first Muj PMC? I think I read they were offering training services somewhere.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Blackwater of Jihad
A consortium of elite, well-paid fighters from across the former Soviet Union are training jihadis in Syria. Their business model could go global.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

chitoryu12 posted:

He runs Tactical Response, a tactical training company, which recently got banned from the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center because one of their instructors had a negligent discharge that put a hole in someone's truck.

He also can't drive stick.

Is he the guy that suggested putting axle grease in ARs or was that another HSLD type guy?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

not caring here posted:

Is there anything else that is a glaring problem with that?

Sand, dust, and cold temperatures would almost certainly cause jams almost right away.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Scratch Monkey posted:

Was he even ever in the military? I thought he was part of some backwater police department and parlayed his SWAT type training he got there into "IM UH OPERATOR" cred that landed him a job in Iraq. Until, you know, he hosed up and got people killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prS_QpGIB8Q

He seems like a winner.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Beastie posted:

Where can I read about this?

Another bald man with goatee explains
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1110003,00.html#ixzz2HpY88cmC

e: Here's the actual ambush video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-fjrRB7WPQ

Who taught this dickhead how to write a report?

James Yeager posted:

We followed our written S.O.P. in relation to dress which is a locally procured ankle length shirt (also known as a “man dress”) that had been cut off at the waist to make me look like an Iraqi while seated in a car. Everyone wore something like that and/or a Shemag (the “rags” locals wear on their heads that gets them the “rag head” moniker).

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 14, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Missionary Positron posted:

Are there any books that deal with the clusterfuck that was the mercenary security contractor business after the occupation? It seemed to just draw in the biggest pile of shitheads in the hemisphere :psyduck:

One of the first big ones was Big Boy Rules: America's Mercenaries Fighting in Iraq. It's a look at how despite being pile of shitheads they were pretty much a law unto themselves, and had poo poo like M72s, AT4s and even a M113 squirreled away in their compounds illegally. There are also countless times they opened up on civilians and escaped prosecution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I would read a sociology paper on the spread of the image of Special Forces in popular culture.

It seems like until 2001 or so line infantry was the common conception of the military. Most people now could rattle off the names of units that were entirely out of the public imagination in say 1999.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 15, 2017