Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

One group of fuckups on the little survival phase I did got given a live possum in a sack. The stick they tried to stun it with was rotten, so they held the sack in the river until it stopped moving.:wtc: So much for humane despatch.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Beastie posted:

I just saw that shirt on the DnD pic thread. Do other countries have service folks that have that big of a boner for their job?

Are there Germans with three skulls in bandanas or French guys wearing the GIGN equivalent of a Tap-out shirt?

A lot of NZ regulars have deployment T-shirts, Grunt lyfe hoodies, etc, but I've never seen anyone wearing in a civilian context or with deliberately provocative slogans. Maybe it happens around the big regular force bases.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Has anyone ever ingested a refuelling hose into their engine?

Landing with the drogue stuck to the tip of your probe must be embarrassing.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Figured it'd be something like that. Personally I'd mark up one of those pleated chefs hats like the basket and force them to wear it for a month of two.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Q: What nation and unit does the man standing next to the women's auxillary baloon corps and thinking "One day I hope to supply my family with that much food" come from?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Plz don't disrespect our minister of defence, he tries so hard he took university entrance twice and I also want to know whether the other guy is an Iraqi or some other ally country.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The best way to CQC with an RPG-7 would be to hold it backwards, squirt the backblast around the room and hope the projectile doesn't arm before it hits the wall behind you.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Swarming honeybees usually aren't too aggressive. :10bux: in those days would have been a decent reward in itself I'd imagine.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Don't leave unguarded minefields lying around. Easily the biggest mistake the Australians made in Vietnam.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The first part of the war tends to show up in a lot of pictures like this:

Essentially the basic unit of combat seems to be a platoon in extended line within shouting distance of the platoon leader. Even just with rifles combat must have been incredibly deadly, let alone when the big weapons got involved

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Another part of the illusion is that the Hawker jet they're using is smaller than it looks - the wingspan is only 3m longer than a typical Cessna and the wings are barely shoulder height.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I feel tanks and water are like helicopters and air - just fundamentally out of their element

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Back in WWII or Vietnam it might have been a thing but it's an incredibly risky thing to do even without being on a bare forward slope so it's a desperation tactic to save your unit, not a doctrinal thing AFAIK.

Also if he hasn't fed back to his leaders what he wants to do and got ordered to do it, he's literally doing the opposite of intended because he's introducing a constraint instead of freeing up his unit to manoeuvre.

I always feel a bit uncomfortable making comments like this because I'm not a combat vet, but I did have an incident in training where a couple of guys just hosed off to attack a flank without permission and the situation went instantly from a secure all round defense to everyone being engaged and the only option if a further enemy appears is me as the section commander to start shooting directly.