Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Definitely. Also it has Shtora and still got nailed by a TOW.

RT has confirmed it as a T-90. Considering that RT is a Russian government propaganda arm, their admittance can be taken as fact in this case. That said, they're still claiming that all green T-90s seen are gifts to the Syrian government and definitely not Russians actively fighting in Syria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Booblord Zagats posted:

The original script for Terminator Salvation had a cool reveal in it, turns out the Terminators had this huge secret base and they think it's the Skynet mainframe/uplink, they get there, fight their way in and discover they built a utopia for the surviving humans they captured who didn't try to fight them and that Connor might have known that the machines were just trying to protect humanity from violent assholes like John Connor the whole time

That probably would have worked better if it wasn't essentially retconning all the other future stuff, like Skynet intentionally nuking the planet as its very first action.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm picturing someone grabbing a goose or chicken or whatever by the neck and spinning around until the body goes flying off into the distance like a shot put.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

holocaust bloopers posted:

You can google it. It's a quick snap using the goose's body as a weight to force the neck break.

Still picturing Shot Put by Quentin Tarantino.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Brown Moses posted:

Yeah, I was just glad I was already dead inside when I saw that one.

We may have upset Russia a little since our last Bellingcat report, so we made a video about their response

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/708667409687834624

It's always a good day when you can go to bed knowing that you, personally, angered Russia.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfiRWBpTLQY

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MRE pizza looking good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You ever have one of those days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll5_pxfGXXw

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep_mf6ZE9U0

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I blame being hit by the rocket on Abu Hajaar.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hot Karl Marx posted:

there a video with sound this is from?

They're all Larry Vickers things. You can search his channel for the rest. Check out that bullet wobble!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCgmfbAbP-Q

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ruse posted:

He definitely got shot, you can hear the rounds snapping around him before he hits the dirt.

edit; here's the full video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3ElTvF52I

Rewatching that video, I noticed at 2:20 that Abu Hajaar was only balancing the flash suppressor on the armor and it slipped off while firing. They were all falling over because he nearly shot them with the point blank ricochets.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 28, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

:spergin: Some of the more recent Russophile gear queer photo ops I've seen had dudes you were almost indistinguishable from our tier 1 guys at first glance. Crye and Magpul as far as the eye could see, railed receiver covers, pretty much a geardo's wet dream come to life.

I think the numerous Russian special forces have more Glocks than native Russian pistols in their inventories.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

Was that a dud or just not a direct enough hit to detonate? Edit: Or kinetic only, I guess.

It looks like it might have been a KE penetrator fired by another tank.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

A breakdown of the attack that Abu Hajaar was a part of.

http://spioenkop.blogspot.ca/2016/04/the-islamic-state-going-diy-inside-diy.html?m=1

On the one hand, I'm impressed that they have workshops turning out up-armoured Humvees. On the other hand, they drive through open fields into the teeth of RPGs again and again.

The article does a good breakdown of how useless the ISIS tactics are: they're suicidally devoted to their cause and have a ton of stolen and purchased vehicles laying around ready to throw scrap armor and guns on, so they don't bother changing up their tactics or trying to avoid casualties. They just throw stupid bullshit at Peshmerga positions that are guaranteed to get blown to poo poo without doing anything because the vehicles and crew can always be replaced.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pesticide20 posted:

I thought he ran back into contact before being carried off of the battlefield in the arms of Valkyries to his glorious afterlife in Valhalla, where even now he is awaiting Ragnarok

The analysis thinks it's Abu Abdullah, the RPG gunner.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://youtu.be/JCM3d4nkUmk

Original video, including an artillery hit earlier on. I think the high-pitched noise right before launch is the missile's gas generator-powered turbine spinning up to power the electronics.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Forgive me for I have sinned.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VALALLAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm8MjK2zyQo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sometimes you need more tanks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's always the air being pumped in that gets me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

The ones that get effectively counter-fired don't hit YouTube.

Yeah, there's lots of videos filmed outside the blast radius of insurgents getting blown to poo poo out of nowhere. They're usually in a really lovely obvious position (like a technical sitting in the middle of the road in a village) with a bunch of guys milling around as the gunner shoots at barely visible targets 800 meters away. And then the entire frame just explodes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I shot a select fire AK at a rental place in Orlando last September and I'm pretty sure it was a conversion from a civilian import because it had S and F written on the receiver for the safe and semi-auto positions, and then a much rougher smiley face crudely engraved in the middle between them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

certain class of firearms dealers are allowed to manufacture new machineguns, but a private citizen cant own anything made after 1986

Considering how awfully that place was run and how badly the guns were maintained (the AK in question was rusting and corroding on the inside, began firing full auto only, got the bolt stuck back once, and finally ended the last magazine with the bolt stuck forward and safety unable to be turned on), I'm guessing these guys aren't high-end guys making their own dealer samples.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ElP_uwSww

The best kind of artillery is the kind that takes most of the video to struggle to load.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chinatown posted:

civil war reenactors are weird.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/page/ct-west-point-black-lives-matter-page-perspec-0511-md-20160510-story.html

Includes a quote from a drill sergeant explaining how Black Lives Matter is just like the Nazis.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"And this is why we just shoot everyone!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

More Cobra autocannon footage from the coup, firing on a police armored car.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

:stwoon::dogbutton:

What the gently caress is the fire rate on that thing?

Serious answer, 2000-4000 RPM. It only weighs 16 pounds (less than an M249 with the paratrooper stock), hence why it nearly flies off the counter when it gets fired.
Here's a pic showing its size.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was curious so I looked it up. According to Gizmodo, the F-35B and C literally don't have the space in the fuselage for a gun but the gun pod ruins its stealth features, so they made it optional.

So the answer is "Marines".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to be leaving a New York City vacation and heading back to Orlando at the beginning of September, but we've got an extra day off work beyond what we were actually vacationing on. Are there any awesome military museums along that route other than Mighty 8th? I was already thinking about stopping there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

iyaayas01 posted:

if you go through DC obviously the NASM on the Mall and Udvar-Hazy. There's also the National Museum of the Marine Corps at Quantico. Charleston has Patriots Point, with the Yorktown, Laffey, and some other ships.

I've hit NASM before. Might look at Charleston, though.

Godholio posted:

The Intrepid is in NYC.

Way ahead of you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Bolts. Comically huge bolts.

I was somewhat surprised and terrified the first time I worked on a crane. We were attaching the jib (basically a lattice boom extension on the end of a telescoping boom to give it some extra reach). Turns out the entire thing is attached by 4 pins about the size and shape of an ice cream cone, which you can relatively easily remove with a one-hand sledgehammer as long as everything is adjusted to line up right. Attaching and detaching the jib involves only having two pins attaching it to one side of the boom, so you can tie a rope to it and swing it around by hand on the pins like a giant hinge.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hell cannon projectile nearly hits drone.

About 35 seconds in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

iyaayas01 posted:

it's relatively easy to add a frag sleeve to a HEAT warhead to get good fragmentation effects, which is really all you need against troops in the open. I'd imagine that is the majority of what's being supplied

I doubt it. In a lot of the videos you see people who were right next to the blast get back up and start running, or they don't even fall to begin with.

Saint Celestine posted:

They're firing HEAT missiles right? How effective are those against soft targets? I imagine the few people in the direct blast area are dead, but its not as effective as say, a thermobaric or HE warhead right?

With a HEAT charge that small, generally anyone not close enough to touch the victim who's hit directly will at least survive any injuries. The reason HEAT sucks against grouped targets like that is that the explosive charge is directed in a very specific path, to let it penetrate armor. When a HEAT round hits the ground or wall next to someone, there's not a whole lot of blast or fragments going outward from the impact zone. Most of the time in these videos you see the missile directly hit an individual soldier, which is a little better because it's effectively an airburst but you're still probably fine if you're standing next to them and not behind them.

HEAT against infantry is better if they're in a building and you're shooting the outside wall, as you'll blow fragments inward into the room where they're hiding.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm also pretty sure that the building they're firing the missiles from is pretty drat far from that wall. Those missiles usually fly around 200 meters per second. Just seeing the missile on video flying at a constant speed for about 5 seconds, I'd guess those guys are as far as 1 kilometer away from everyone. The ATGM is probably the only thing they have available that can reach out and touch from that distance without missing half of every shot.

That also probably helps explain why the Syrians haven't yet clued in: they just keep having an explosion happen right there and nobody sees the missile coming in, so they haven't figured out what's getting fired at them or where from yet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrYenko posted:

I'm the guy spraying his AK out the window of his Apache.

I wish I could find it now, but there's a GIF I saw from Syria of a tank slowly driving up to a berm. And then the driver's hatch opens and the driver just starts blindfiring an AK semi-auto over the berm.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

Any other day I'd say the shooter is an idiot for hanging out in that same spot for so long, but now he looks pretty fuckin' smart by comparison.

He's like a kilometer away and those missiles are speedy as hell. The guys standing around are lucky if they hear a whooshing noise right before something explodes. For all we know they think they're being hit with RPGs or something nearby and are just unlucky enough to keep getting ambushed right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

This newest video shows some of the guys becoming aware of it before it hit, though.

Not that they could really get away from it.

Doesn't count if you don't tell everyone else before it hits.