Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Turning on the hazards was very courteous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No loving way. :stare:

Edit: Twitter is debating whether it's legit or just a weird angle on a 60 with the newer engines.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 16, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Desperation and the knowledge that it's not that secret anymore anyway.

If that's even what is going on, which I doubt after seeing the photographic debate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're angled to impart a stabilizing spin.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm gonna assume the spelling is intentional.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're using a lot of loving explosive material, holy poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Xakura posted:

Doesn't look like a dogfight. I'd imagine those two are on the same side.

They both look like MiG-29s, so I agree.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No, but that looks like a rejoin maneuver, or one of them was committing an expensive suicide. That's also a really bad altitude for dogfighting.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's a solid example, visually and from an importance standpoint. One glance at that poster gets the point across, even if you don't know anything about Pearl Harbor.

Schweinfurt doesn't make a good poster because it's an abstract concept, not an easy visual. "X bombers left, a lot fewer returned" doesn't land like ship exploding. This is going to be the same problem for basically any offensive operation.

With defense air operations, we run into a funny problem: the USAF has historically been very good at this, so there straight up AREN'T any good examples from recent history. The last American troops killed by a foreign air strike were on April 15, 1953 replacing Pearl Harbor with the WTC would be amazing. But everyone's heard of Pearl Harbor. Even most high school kids can probably tie it to the US joining WWII. So it's recognizable, visually impressive, and a simple message. That's tough to beat.

Would it sound less tacky if they stuck with "air superiority" for the slogan?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah fortunately we don't count ourselves among the enemy, although we certainly should.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Madurai posted:

I can't make out what kind of weapon these interceptor drones are using. A net? Some kind of plastic buckshot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwHunj46Ko0

I think I talked to these guys at an industry day not too long ago. If it's the same thing, yeah it's a net.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

I keep telling airmen this, but they get sooooo bent out of shape about army artillery and SAM flyout paths...

Oh it's fine, the sky is huge! There's like a 0% chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

I knew someone would post that, but I'd also say not talking to one another and flying at low altitude directly over a firebase is pretty obvious in a way that "no, tell me exactly where all the missiles will go after they leave the rail" is dumb in the other direction.

That's one of my "I will post this any chance I get" pics because it's so insane.

I always loved trying to mildecon a ROZ and there's some loving UAV in there who's not on the radio and the dude has stepped away from chat for a smoke or whatever, leading to a 10 minute delay.