Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

It's powdered sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

At least we know how to neutralize the crew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0xPCas2tHQ

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

Dude probably left a boresight device in the barrel.

I read that it was a muzzle loader still loaded from the previous hunting season. He loaded more powder and another ball on top of that and boom. This is why you mark your ramrod with a load in the gun as a reference.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

A new gunner in my company accidentally shot a deer with a training HEAT round from an M-1.

He was new and very nervous, and was having a really hard time identifying targets. While scanning haphazardly he mistook the deer shaped hot spot in the thermal for the PC shaped hot spot in the thermal. The TC was so flustered with the guy by that point he just yelled "Fire" when the gunner yelled "Identified".

Best part was that we had the video and audio recorded on a through sight video unit. To the gunner's credit he nailed that thing center mass.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Do you still have this video?

Unfortunately not but I'll never forget it. You could see the round arcing toward the deer, and at the last moment it seemed to look up as if to say "huh?"

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Aren't those mine-clearing devices supposed to have the explodey-rope fixed to the original location in some way, so that it's actually laid out in a straight line before detonating?
It seems like that thing had all the explodey-rope trail behind the propulsion chagrge and then dogpile in the landing zone. Though, on second thought, I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly what they were going for.

Yeah, it's supposed to be linear charge to clear a path through a minefield. This one worked the way it was supposed to, but it looks like they just used it as ad hoc rocket artillery. From looking at the video it appears that the portion with the charges ended up draped over a building when it landed.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That poo poo is getting made into a movie for sure.

I really hope not.

Scratch Monkey posted:

They mentioned the meeting with the village elders going longer than expected which to me read as “the villagers held them up while someone ran to tell the bad guys they were there.” It would explain how such a large force showed up seemingly out of nowhere.

That occurred to me as well.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

A bit surprised to see the older M16 in that video.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

It looks like it has A2 handguards, so it might have been given to Iraq after the invasion.

Pretty sure I saw A1 handguards on one of them. The older triangular type.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Davethulhu posted:

Crossposting from GBS

That is way too loving disturbing first thing in the morning.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

I would love to see video of that thing firing. Scissor lifts move quite a bit when fully extended.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Typhoon under construction

Big son of a bitch.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

If Trump wants to make our military look more manly, he needs more shirtless parades and military uniforms like they have in Spain. The terrorists will quake with fear!

“BN formation is at 0600, so the company will form up at 0545. That means the platoon will form at 0530. Hmm... better make sure everyone in the squad is oiled up NLT 0500 just to be safe.”

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

I knew a platoon leader who got an AAM for flipping his tank into a fighting position.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Between this, the T-72s drifting into lampposts and ditches, and Mi-8s buzzing highways like they're fixing to decapitate some zombie hordes, I'm convinced that Russia allows its people to pop by their friendly neighborhood base and take any piece of hardware they fancy for a spin

That and I think their entire military is constantly drunk.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

In all these videos it seems like the Russians have no concept of using cover.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

^^^ edit: well that's an answer lol

From those of you with training/experience, what are the chances those hits have seriously hosed up the tank's optics? That is, if the bushmaster jammed, how likely the tank would be blind for shooty purposes?

In my very outdated peacetime experience I would say the optics have been damaged or at least obscured. In addition everyone in that tank has had their bell rung pretty hard and may also be catching some spall. This looks like a pretty close in fight so it's hard for the T-90 crew to maintain a clear picture of what's going on outside the tank--they're buttoned up and even if the sights are working they have a limited field of view. Not a great situation considering it appears that the T-90 is fighting alone.

Gotta say, those Bradley crews have some balls like church bells. Good for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Being able to accurately shoot on the move with thermals is a great advantage.