Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Its more for when you miss all 4 cables with the hook. Bolters are far more common than snapping the cable and more often than not when a cable snaps the plane ends up in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

the missile pretty clearly misses between 5 and 6 seconds into the video. i circled the last spot i could identify the motor/guidance flare on the missle. note the missing black smoke puff.

at 13 seconds in, there is a puff of black smoke, not present previously, presumably from the miss.

edit: i could see how i missed what you're talking about. there was, per the twitter comments, a second missile. i thought people were saying the first missile hit/killed it.

*other than the davy crockett

Yes, but this missile pretty clearly obliterates the target

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

underage at the vape shop posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about stuff I saw on youtube? I've been watching some us helmet cam footage on, and I want to know, in situations where you can't see the enemy, how do you know it's safe? There was 1 where a convoy of humvees got attacked and the dude was just emptying belts into the forest where he thought they were. Sure at the start there was return fire, but an A10 came along and just kept pounding them over and over and over. Towards the end they started shelling the attackers with mortars in between a10 runs. It was a 10 min video with lots of cuts so I have no idea how long it actually went for, but after the first A10 run there was no return fire.

It looked like they were just shooting bodies at that point, but how do you know? At no point in the video did they actually see any of the attackers. How do they know that as soon as the A10 leaves for fuel and ammo and they get back in their trucks, they won't get shot at again? Obviously they can't walk up and check.

Remember that a bouncy wide angle GoPro video is not going to give you the same viewing distance and clarity as a pair of eyes. There are plenty of videos where they are clearly seeing enemy fighters off in the distance that aren't visible on camera.

Not to say that the particular video you described isn't guys just dumping rounds into the abyss.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

That's pretty wild. Desert raiding tactics. Went :stare: at how they pursued the soldiers.

The craziest part from the whole briefing is how long it was before they made their first radio call that they were in contact. It was a full hour before they called for help.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

aphid_licker posted:

What's the tactical reasoning behind stopping to engage rather than just speeding away when they came under initially light fire from basically straight behind?

Probably not wanting to abandon the village they just left to the enemy and thinking it was a smaller force then it really was. If they were just taking sporadic grazing fire from the rear they probably thought of it as a good opportunity to close with and kill or capture the enemy force.

It’s not like they didn’t have a decent number of troops with over 40 between the US and Niger troops. They probably felt like they could handle whoever was taking pot shots initially.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

That Works posted:

Why's a demo going both ways? Not arguing it isn't one, just that part seems odd.

Its not, the crowd is in between 2 rocket batteries that are firing in the same direction and the cameraman pans around from one to the other

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I guess using cover is merely a suggestion in Russia? Also lol at not being able to throw a grenade like 5 feet above you.

They literally look like every 80's action movie version of Soviet soldiers. I'm getting a strong stripes battle scene vibe from that video.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Xakura posted:

Doesn't look like a dogfight. I'd imagine those two are on the same side.

They are definitely both Mig-29's

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I’m getting extremely strong Squad vibes from that BTR4 video.

:drat:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

To put it very mildly, I'm beyond amazed the guy survived "relatively" unscathed and didn't suffer amputation or anything that would have resulted in rapid and non-recoverable blood loss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASE0e5DkFkE

If I understand their interpretation correctly, it turns out you should be very careful with refurbished/resleeved launchers and choose your boosters equally carefully.

I think the thing I'm most curious about is what happens if that helmet is actually strapped on. Does he get more or less injured.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

my kinda ape posted:

Maybe that’s what you’re alluding to but US soldiers in WW2 apparently believed that the helmet strap would break your neck if you got hit by a blast and consequently often did not strap on their helmets. Whether or not the belief had merit I don’t know.

Its a bit of that, a bit of the cartoonish timing of it flying off and the fact that he had a brain bleed and skull fracture.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Tiny Timbs posted:

iirc there was a similar video from much earlier in the war of a Ukrainian IFV putting down the same kind of accurate fire on a Russian tank or IFV while maneuvering through an urban area. I thought it was a pretty remarkable video since it was from the gunner's POV and highly detailed.

If somebody remembers that video, too, maybe they can share it.

https://youtu.be/PnHdNPYsEes?si=xf6jC5bcctfqJorr

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Phanatic posted:

It's a ballistic missile, nothing there is going fast enough to reach orbit.

Depending on the range of the missile, ballistic missiles absolutely do have apogees that take them into the areas that satellites orbit.

It doesn’t have to orbit to hit a passing satellite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Phanatic posted:

The odds of hitting anything on a single hop up and down are so low as to be not worth worrying about unless you really want to look for something to worry about.

I think the original issue was the blowing one up in that area of space makes it slightly more worth worrying about.

It's not going to kessler syndrome the entire planet, but the golden bb is real and the big sky(space) wont necessarily protect you and your satellites.