Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

cry havoc and let slip the happy dogge of war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Continuing the Arctic theme, apparently they had some pretty gnarly northern lights over the Arctic Circle yesterday:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

I'm the Kel-Tec

i'm the badly maintained lawn

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

We live in the weirdest of all possible cyberpunk dystopias.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Buca di Bepis posted:

Was wondering when that would happen again. It was pretty effective on the Cole and there's plenty of videos of people using RPGs and missiles on these ships to no effect.

I guess it comes down to "saudis lol", but it's really bizarre that they weren't prepared for something like this considering the enviroment they operate in.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Today in corny recruitment videos, the new Finnish Rapid Deployment Units:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqnvj7w8Nis

Featuring:
- A second rate Nick Cave impersonator(why?)
- Unidentified combatants who, for some reason, look like Islamic insurgents and ARE TOTALLY NOT RUSSIANS
- Classical music? Explosions!
- Bookended by an ominous as gently caress musical cue

Overall score: 5/10 CGI marines killing a lava monster with a sword. Nothing will ever beat that ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tnJtLBQzQ

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Godholio posted:

Stealing from TFR:

I mean, sure it's just a promo video, but it seems like they're not even trying to reduce the RCS of the F-15? Are they planning on jamming it chock full of ECM gear, because wouldn't that get shot down way before it got anywhere near its target area by modern SAMs.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

http://www.defensereview.com/stories/biap/Yeager%20Incident%20Report%20BIAP%204.20.2005.pdf

This is the report as written by Yeager.

Long story short, one of the guys in their "low profile motorcade" started shooting an MP5 in the air to scare away cars that were driving too close to them. An SUV full of insurgents spotted them and whipped around to begin a drive-by, which domed one of the mercs and hit two others in the femoral artery. Yeager forgot how to drive stick and thought the car was disabled because he couldn't put it in gear, so everyone bailed out and started randomly shooting vaguely in the direction of the gunfire. The insurgents just drove off after the initial volley and were never seen again.

And then they almost gun run over by their own car dragging the corpse out.

Are there any books that deal with the clusterfuck that was the mercenary security contractor business after the occupation? It seemed to just draw in the biggest pile of shitheads in the hemisphere :psyduck:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Booblord Zagats posted:

That's the customers

Those are also the people who would unironically call the Operator Hotline if it existed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08kSncpUnUo

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

I would read a sociology paper on the spread of the image of Special Forces in popular culture.

It seems like until 2001 or so line infantry was the common conception of the military. Most people now could rattle off the names of units that were entirely out of the public imagination in say 1999.

I'm actually writing my Master's Thesis on Iraq War veteran literature and how it seeks to challenge the hegemonic discourses surrounding the American soldier, and provide a counter narrative to all the OORAH ARE TROROOPS platitudes :shobon:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Care to shine some light on Operator worship?

The way I see it, the whole SF/Operator worship is just symptomatic of the nature of GWOT, and the role special forces have played in it. That, and they were the first ones in Afghanistan after the towers fell and America was out of revenge. That positioned them as an ~icon~ of the war of terror. What's a better counter to an invisible enemy that blends in a crowd, than a surgical elite force? In addition, they make for a really good subject for the entertainment industry which results in a loop wherein the SF operators themselves are both the subjects as well as the consumers of the cultural texts that mostly emphasize how loving rad and HIGH SPEED they are. No wonder that they start doing poo poo like canoeing, and carrying tomahawks etc etc. When every single part of your culture emphasizes your greatness, it's really easy to start believing it, and that you're above everything.

This is all just off the cuff opinions, as I don't really deal Special Force/Operator stuff. I'm mostly writing about how veteran literature can provide a voice for the experiences that are often marginalized, because they don't fit the hegemonic view of what constitutes the cultural image of a veteran. Actually, I should really look more into it the whole SF hype as it epitomizes everything's that's broken about the the general public's perception of military life.

quote:

The most memorable WW2 memoirs I remember reading growing up were all written by cold, miserable grunts, whereas I see the HSLD titles selling pretty well from the GWOT era.

More speculation, but it could also have something to do with the fact that the average American of today is much more disconnected from the realities of military life compared to WW2. Back then, probably everyone knew someone who served either in the Pacific or Europe. Compare that to now: most Americans are barely connected to the military at all, and are shaped by what movies, tv shows, and video games show war to be. That's why memoirs like the American Sniper do well, they presents all the thrills of "war" in a clear cut , black and white, and easy to understand package, without the moral uncertainties and shades of grey of the real world. Just like the movies. There is no personal connection like with WW2.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Dukket posted:

Sounds interesting - care to share some titles?

Redeployment by Phil Klay is a collection of short stories that comes to mind. Mainly because it's also my paper's main focus :v:.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Godholio posted:

Nobody who spent 6+ months jerking off in a portashitter and raking sand/rocks while surviving a dozen mortar rounds a month is writing a book. Not yet, anyway. Remember that all those WWII memoirs came out years later. The 2020s are probably going to be full of novel-length versions of the dick book's stories.

That's also true. The usual cycle goes poetry -> fiction -> memoirs. Currently we're going through the fiction phase.

EDIT: Had to dig up the worst example of the OORAH-garbage I used in my seminar presentation:

I mean, JFC.

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 15, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Dude goes beet red in an instant.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS3kiRYcDAo

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

That Iranian plane is a real operational design from a Cold War Russian program and the design has been online for sometime. It has an extremely high top speed. The design was scrapped by the USSR after a prototype was stolen by a covert CIA program in the '80s. The cockpit is that small because it is controlled largely by voice and thought (no poo poo).

10/10, would read again

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Here's a look at the spring's hottest new fashion trends straight from the joint FIN/US/NOR-mechanized forces exercise: cover your armor in fir tree branches, until it looks like a suspiciously flat and wide tree.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
One more fashion shot:

I had no idea the MGS Stryker variant was still in use.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Fashion tanks are back... in video form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXUSs1Qz4zs

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Their army is the Iran of Northern Europe when it comes to equipment. A hodgepodge mix of Russian, Swedish and German gear to a large extent, with some domestic stuff like the Patria AMV.

Most of the Russian vehicles/armor have been axed/are in the process of being axed. The only yuge outlier is the fleet of BMP-2s, which was modernized and operates alongside CV9030s. Russian SPGs are also being replaced with Korean K-9s.

No idea why the armored brigades are still using MTLBs, tho.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Arishtat posted:

The sparkly secondary explosions are ammunition and/or propellant cooking off. I think that the BMP series all have lateral fuel tanks and that might have been what made the initial detonation more spectacular, but that's an educated guess on my part. The explosion 'rate' isn't consistent with ammunition but neither is it 'dirty' enough to be fuel so eh? Either way those dudes in the BMP are toast.

BMP-2s have a wonderful design feature where the rear doors also function as, wait for it.... diesel fuel tanks

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Fashion tank glamor shot:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

akma posted:

On Ft Riley back in the mid-80s they used to have a bunch of tall hemp/wild pot plants growing in some areas. One day during an ftx I was tasked with putting camo on an M113 that was parked in the middle of a bunch of it. The 1Sgt didn't find a 113 covered with wild pot as funny as I did..... especially the 8' or so plant I had tied off to the blank adapter running down the barrel of the .50cal.

:patriot:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/vpkivimaki/status/866583222616027136

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
http://i.imgur.com/JV21qLJ.mp4

pew pew pew

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/vpkivimaki/status/872023352873029633

:finland: :hf: :sweden:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

this is now a todd thread:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

I don't believe I ever caught this episode of Mail Call w/ R. Lee Ermey.

http://i.imgur.com/MGwK92c.mp4

that is fairly terrifying :stare:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Chinese or is that a test in SK? (The letters look Korean to me but I literally have no idea)

I think that's a video of an SK missile test, that was released totally coincidentally after NK's ICBM test.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/FinnishAirForce/status/916216069404221441

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/NorwegianArmy/status/933258199700066304

That final shot of the rockets landing is pretty bonkers, I'd hate to be in the receiving end of a rocket artillery barrage :gonk:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

Are those Soviet designed launchers or do they have some sort of native MLRS they've cooked up?

e: Twitter says Czech RM-70s

Yeah RM70 seems most likely, as we have a bunch of those + a small (something like 22) number of M270 MLRS launchers.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Some rad footage from the same exercise as the twitter vid + random reindeers as a bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5TQKhF6lX0

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Patrocclesiastes posted:

When I was in the army, more than once we had to stop firing the mortars because target area had reindeers wandering in there :v:

Yeah, happened to us as well. The forward observers immediately told us to cease fire if they saw movement in the target area. I think they mainly do it because the military has to pay compensation to the reindeer herders if any of their animals wander into an artillery strike.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://i.imgur.com/S6DeQ3Y.gifv

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Been reading Fussell's The Great War and Modern Memory for my master's, and hoo boy WW1 propaganda sure was something else:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 12, 2018

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

wait I thought Russian AA systems were these magical devices that shoot down everything 100% of the time

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

And Richard Gatling said that his gun would be so devastating on the battlefield that one man could do the work of a hundred and nobody would need armies.

One could almost say something about war's unchanging nature. No idea how to phrase it tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Richard Bong posted:

Ask and ye shall see wiener.
Warning dong!!1!:
https://i.imgur.com/TeXZaRL.jpg

I've been looking for this picture for years. Bless you.