Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
He's just engaging in remembrance day pageantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Honestly, sword-missile being viscerally gnarly is better than a bomb blast killing innocents being deemed “worth it” levels of collateral damage.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

No, I'm being serious. We use pretty conventional weapons, so I'm curious what this no holds barred approach to killing combatants is.

Welcome to History 101 of WWII and Vietnam, the wars where some of what we did would be reported as war crimes if another nation that we did not like had done them!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The My Lai massacre was a war crime worthy of some house arrest and forfeit pay. So basically the same as some drug dealing or streaking, I guess?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Can anyone ID the 2 pairs of 8-wheeled vehicles at the 15 minute, 55 second time stamp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AsnU3RVLGQ&t=955s

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yes, but the 8-wheeled vehicles.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If that video is fake, it's very elaborate to include fake news stories from several semi-reputable sites. The people to the side of the runway are apparently miniature people if it's a model. And the aircraft with matching livery and tail number has been seized by police. The Guatamalen Air Force flew the jet off that runway deliberately.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32127/guatemalan-air-force-pilot-deserves-a-raise-for-flying-out-this-stranded-drug-running-jet

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

The proportion looks very off to me in the video.

I feel like the mix of using a zoom, elevated camera, and jungle trees being HUGE makes it kind of brain-warping. The dudes on the side of the runway really help show scale if you take note of how far down the runway they were, then rewind to when the aircraft was around there, thus basically filling the zoomed screen.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Assuming the US and not some stupid poo poo like KSA how many careers get ended over something like this

The first careers ended: the 4 people who were killed in this mishap.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
When a Raptor did that the pilots I worked with were convinced there was an engine failure or something. Nope, good ole pilot error resulting in immediate belly landing. No ejection required at least.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

It could however be a totally separate incident in which the pilot took off, pulled the gear up, and then immediately belly landed it, but that doesn't make poo poo for sense.

That is exactly what happened in 2017 or 2018.

quote:

First, the MP had incorrect Takeoff and Landing Data (TOLD) for the conditions at NAS Fallon on the day of the mishap, and more importantly, he failed to apply any corrections to the incorrect TOLD. Second, the MP prematurely retracted the LG at an airspeed that was insufficient for the MA to maintain flight. Additionally, the AIB President found by the preponderance of the evidence that four additional factors substantially contributed to the mishap: inadequate flight brief, organizational acceptance of an incorrect technique, formal training, and organizational overconfidence in equipment.”

The investigation found Raptor pilots were routinely conducting takeoffs/rotations at too low an airspeed and yanking up gear early. Do that enough times and someone lands it during takeoff.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And on top of that the coverage area of C-RAM is pretty small, so it's not like they shoot down every rocket landing in the middle of fuckall nowhere. Do they hit a lot of rockets that probably would've hit a T-wall or Hesco or parking lot with a generic Toyota or something? Sure. But it's not like they're even engaging rockets targeting the field outside the base.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The rounds are $30 or less each last I checked. So one engagement is in the thousands of dollars range. Training rounds are way cheaper. The system itself is what gets pricy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

Ok, what are the details on that laser? Like strength and range, because holy poo poo I can’t believe did we actually do it? Gundams are right around the corner boys.

Navy open source reporting is that this demonstrator is aimed at a 150 kw demonstrator weapon. Not clear what the strength of the test shot was. The previous iteration was a 30 kw demonstrator.

quote:

Portland, a San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock, was tapped in 2018 to be the first ship to test the Solid State Laser – Technology Maturation (SSL-TM) Laser Weapon System Demonstrator (LWSD) MK 2 MOD 0 at sea. This second iteration of SSL-TM, which is ultimately expected to become a 150-kilowatt laser weapon, draws from lessons learned from Office of Naval Research (ONR) demonstrations and testing that date back to 2011. The original 30-kilowatt Laser Weapon System (LaWS) was used by interim afloat forward staging base USS Ponce (AFSB(I)-15) in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations from 2014 to 2017 to gather data and lessons learned on how the system performed in an operational setting.

This follow-on SSL-TM has challenged scientists to made advances in areas like the beam director and spectral beam combining, which takes many lasers of different wave lengths and creates a more powerful beam by “ganging them up,” Frank Peterkin, the Navy’s senior technologist for directed energy, told USNI News last year.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Goddamn. Those pictures are the only reason I'm buying it now. The proportion looks very off to me in the video.

Godholio posted:

Unless he's going backwards, it doesn't look right to me.

Godholio, get your eyes checked.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

golden bubble posted:

That's nasty, but I'm surprised it works so well. I though India still had a tradition of martial arts with weapons. A spiked club shouldn't win against a kukri or tulwar in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. If the PLA tries to keep pushing the borders while holding to the agreement forbidding guns, bring some sikhs up their and stab them.

While you studied the massed formations of clubs, I studied the bla—
*death by club*

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
At a US Army base i was at overseas where the US contracted out Gurkha unarmed* security, they still were so disciplined and deliberate and professional it was highly impressive. Not one inch given with regard to security standards, but they never, ever flexed unnecessarily.

*no guns, other weapons

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/carlzha/status/1362753119847731202?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
No one gets shot but this caused enough anxiety for my skin to itch.

https://twitter.com/woobie_1_kenobi/status/1363529993788272646?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
That, standing in the fatal funnel, double door kick weirdness, following your team in after losing all situational awareness as the door closed behind them and finding “oh, here they are!” while gun up, just... I’m not sure what was done right in the video beyond maybe they showed up on time.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Changing topics:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1363923034596388870?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I could get into the nitty gritty of why this is a big deal, but having NVG’s and laser guided MANPAD’s should have been the give away. You can’t shoot an ATGM at night at a helo without NVG’s. Same for any of the laser beam riders of the MANPAD’s world.

It’s an official (tm) big deal.

Unless the video is edited, that round is too slow to be any MANPADS.

Fighters have been caught with NVGs for years. ATGMs are a lot less common in Afghanistan than the Syria conflict, but this isn’t looking from this twitter video like a MANPADS with night sight engagement.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/buch10_04/status/1391824954828730368?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Another video

https://twitter.com/amichaistein1/status/1392181914744803331?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/1392185047810297864

Seeking cover or hitting the deck is really effective.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Who doesn’t like a day on the water with their friends?

https://twitter.com/troopsincontact/status/1442519481599737856?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
IIRC, they are components of the Distributed Aperture System that feeds into the cockpit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
All that’s old

https://twitter.com/hkaaman/status/1466055736837001217?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nafisehkbbc/status/1481668167957110785?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Nothing is 100%, but C-RAM has self-destroying rounds. And you program in cut-outs (like an apartment building) so the gun won't blast the poo poo out of things you don't want to destroy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Poseidon did keep the first one, I believe. Smashed into the ocean around 550+ knots and killed the Japanese pilot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
That clip gets someone once every year or so, I wouldn't worry about it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

The odds of hitting anything on a single hop up and down are so low as to be not worth worrying about unless you really want to look for something to worry about.

I keep telling airmen this, but they get sooooo bent out of shape about army artillery and SAM flyout paths...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Oh it's fine, the sky is huge! There's like a 0% chance.

I knew someone would post that, but I'd also say not talking to one another and flying at low altitude directly over a firebase is pretty obvious in a way that "no, tell me exactly where all the missiles will go after they leave the rail" is dumb in the other direction.

And arguably: still the absolute tiniest drop in the bucket compared to holding artillery fire for an entire brigade in contact in large scale combat to let a plane leave the area who's hanging out in the wrong airspace.

And even smaller drop in the bucket compared with tthe number of times airplane guys have gotten lost or scared and killed ground guys on the ground due to either map confusion or "self defense" when they saw friendly forces in combat or doing training on the ground and mistook it as anti-aircraft fire that can reach 25,000+ feet altitude....

It did sound exciting when an F-15E crewmember was talking about the time that B-1s dropped bombs through his formation so closely that he saw the bomb pass between him and his wingman.

(I was mostly joking in the original post, but I have seen air guys lose their loving mind in sims when we had the discussion that if Dipshit Pilot hangs out in an arty fire zone, denying division counter-battery fire missions because he's trying to bullseye one whole tank, maybe Dipshit Pilot deserves to dodge arty rounds. The red artillery is shooting through that airspace anyway!)

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
While almost inherently, the ground forces are more often going to be on the receiving end of friendly fire from air-to-ground munitions than vice versa based on tactics and employment, there are some pretty egregious ones that can essentially be chalked up to cowardice mixed with incompetence.

quote:

A serious incident occurred before OIF, during Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. On April 17, 2002 near Kandahar, troops from Alpha Company, 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry were conducting a night live-fire exercise at Tarnak Farms range. Two US F-16 fighters were returning from a mission, passing south of Kandahar when the lead pilot observed fireworks, which he misidentified as surface-to-air fire (SAFIRE). Asking permission from AWACS to retaliate, but while waiting for clearance, the nervous wingman considered himself to be under threat and requested to engage with 20mm cannon. AWACS cautioned to “stand by”, requesting additional information. But the wingman declared “rolling in self defense” and released a 500lb bomb which impacted among the Canadian troops, killing four soldiers and wounding eight.

He was flying at 20,000 feet when he engaged the Canadians in self defense at night. Kandahar is around 3,000-3,500 feet, so I guess he was really concerned someone might shoot 3 miles straight up in the dark and hit him, so he just had to drop a bomb on it after requesting to do a gun-run first... He testified that he was worried the Taliban might shoot him down with unguided vertically fired 122mm rockets.

His punishment was a month's pay, reprimand, and being put on a desk job.