Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

pro loving click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fallom posted:

They don’t dude they’re all killing themselves with alcohol like the dude I saw today wearing a Vietnam vet hat buying a gallon of Wild Turkey and a case of bud light at 0730

:911:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fragrag posted:

Sunk ships related, I got recommended this YouTube channel where a former USN sonar operator analyses audio clips. I am just a simple civvie so I have no idea whether he is talking bullshit but he seems convincing and watches out for eventual OPSEC violations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBxaxWQ8wdc

The secret stuff about sonar is more about frequency response and the sound pressure levels needed to get a usable signal.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Another video from this guy that is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyXCeoKj4zQ

Some explanations that he didn't go in to ;

Test depth for a submarine is the mathematical depth a submarine can go to and be able to use the emergency blow system (by itself) and reach the surface. Crush depth is typically much deeper but the system will not work on it's own. The normal way a submarine changes depth is via propulsion and using the stern planes. With that they can escape from below test depth. So, loss of propulsion + below test depth = you're a new deep reef.

The freezing in the emergency blow system he talks about was caused because the high pressure air system that was used at the time did not remove moisture from the air being compressed. The pipes froze due to this.

Loss of the Thresher is what lead to the SUBSAFE program which changed a metric fuckload of things that contributed to the loss of that submarine. The program was still being retrofitted into the subs when the Scorpion was lost. It was due for the overhaul after it came in if I remember correctly.

edit : in the navy thread i said the navy never changes unless 100+ people die, this is an example of that being true. all of the flaws were known before hand.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

FrozenVent posted:

Nous nous sommes tous trompé. Tout le monde pensais que les jeux FPS en ligne étaient des simulateurs de guerre pour faciliter la déshumanisation de l’ennemie chez les ados mais c’était en fait un laboratoire pour faire developer de nouveaux concepts de guerre psychologique ŕ des ados de treize ans.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Don't stop I'm almost there!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://youtu.be/xbcL_kMRGv0

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Wow, that flared up quick.

This is the autoloader on a T-72. It's in the turret ring.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
But tanks are unstoppable killing machines.

Until they aren't.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Cousin got married a few weeks ago at the old base chapel on Mare Island. I only took 2 pictures.

The whole place is covered in things like that.

http://www.mareislandmuseum.org/venues/st-peters-chapel/

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Tyro posted:

Here's a few of my pics including a rooftop to whet your appetite. You can see the sarcophagus in the distance.

I don't see any graphite

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

EBB posted:

For those of your who support mines, I say look to Laos and Cambodia. Or even Iraq. Mines are a blight and should be banned.

Ya. gently caress mines and CBU. That poo poo is loving awesome in theory but the reality is just a nightmare for people that are not in anyway involved in the conflicts.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Found this inside the number 1 engine inlet on the bird I'm about to fly.

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/kNxALlp.jpg:nws:

A vehicle truly blessed by Priapus.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I have a feeling they were worried it was an VBIED that they hosed up blowing up and didnt want to take the chance.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ladders are for scrubs!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You're thinking of the Gurkhas.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MikeCrotch posted:

Isn't part of Sikhism to carry a ceremonial knife? I'm assuming that's what was being referred to

Gurkhas were badasses that kicked the poo poo out of the british, much like the Maori. It's why they still to this day have a special recruiting thing for them.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Those are some god damned loud cooling fans.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just wondering but if the Tesla cars use their Lidar/radar for collision avoidance and can like, dodge a bicyclist at the last second why isn’t a 5th generation strike fighter using its radar for collision avoidance, too?

It's a bit more complicated than a car.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Context?

E. I googled around and it’s the Not loving Around Coalition, an all black “militia.”

no context. just a giant fuckoff mag.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

I had no idea iranegypt had gay pride parades

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Found a cool thing when looking for a steam suit picture.

http://www.ssbn657.com/pastpicofweek.htm

Lots of pics and stories to go with them.

A sample.

quote:

Head over Heels: This picture was probably taken in 1978 by the Key Gold Crew during a midshipman tour after the first Trident launch. It was among a collection of 50 slides that were almost destroyed during the second Key overhaul but saved by Yeoman Jeff Buss who saved them from the dumpster in 1984. The headless person on the right is probably a midshipman. We don't know yet who is the Key shipmate in the torpedo tube. Let's just hope it is only one person, else it's two very, very friendly shipmates. If you know who it is, then drop us an e-mail

quote:

This very yellow brittle piece of paper was taken by me from the crew's mess in the early 70's. Each day the radiomen would put out a bunch of teletype news stories. They were often as unreadable as this one. My father had asked me how we kept in touch with what was going on in the world. I brought back this sample to show him. It makes the DaVinci Code look simple. Reading the news often turned into a cryptogram game. I hope this brings back some memories and xfgtyyyht rsomerrft to any,,ddqzc for all radiomen.@#$%

I don't remember ever seeing news stories at all when I was out.

quote:

"Found my wallet card and bluenose certificate from 1970. We had gone over the arctic circle with Capt. Logan but no certificate. Capt. Forsythe was more inclined for such ceremonies. He dyed his shaved head green and presented a pretty commanding performance as Neptune ’s stand-in. No mercy on ward room folks. Those of us who were still on the boat, having gone over sometime in first six patrols, were credited with that by not having to take too much flack on this crossing, thanks to Yeoman Eddie Neal who researched it for us. John Linville"

Updated (11/20/07) Received this e-mail explaining how the Blue Nose Certificate came into being.

I am writing concerning the photograph of the Blue Nose Certificate "Photos with Stories".

The Certificate did not exist when Captain Logan was skipper.

The Certificate was designed by QM1(SS) EUBANKS "euby" - sorry do not remember his first name. He was very talented. I was a member of the BLUE Crew on 8/26/70 when Euby designed the Certificate. He drew the Certificate on "ditto paper" and I ran it off and placed it in each man's Service Record.

Instead of throwing the master away after I made all the copies I needed, I kept the original as a keepsake. I have it proudly framed and hanging on my wall in my home computer room.

Just thought you might be interested in the history of the Blue Nose Certificate of the FRANCIS SCOTT KEY (SSBN657).

Gus Knight YN1(SS), USN
Retired

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Carteret posted:

I Am Not A Tanker but i thought most modern tanks were turbines

Thats just M1s really. They suck up too much gas and maintenance for most other countries to put up with.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is there more background on this? I’d like to read about it.

he was a dipshit that made the news. he was glory seeking and did pretty drat near everything wrong and nearly died for it. including 'getting hit' (didn't get hurt) and screaming for his teammates who had to expose themselves to fire to rescue his dumb rear end.

im condensing it a lot but this was from a few years ago.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Water Slugs are dangerous. It's why we are always hunting them.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

At this moment, the occupying Turkish state is attacking Eyn Navsa district.
Fighting is heavy in the village of Mishref. Warplanes are flying over the area.
Communication Center

Cool. Turkey is attacking Kurds again.

Merry xmas

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

evil_bunnY posted:

lmao would you like to talk to anyone who's deployed to the middle east ever?

you mean someone like pookbear?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i really like all the ammo pouches and rifle design for a loving antenna

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
That is how they do boot photos for the Navy too.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
looks like 20mm to my dumb eyes

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Here I stole this from DnD I have no context except to say Goddamn :stare:

Has to be that giant grad strike that was shown launched on twitter earlier.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
at least they called it a screw and not a prop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Scratch Monkey posted:

What's with the big, sparkly explosion from the T-90?

looked like some of the era caught on fire and blew up