Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
One of my dad's stories about going through SF's SERE was being dropped off in the middle of the woods with a single chicken to survive for a certain amount of time. When you were picked up you had to have the chickens feet to prove that you killed and ate it. My dad figured he'd save the chicken for a couple days later and tied it with 550 cord around its foot to a tree. When he woke up the chicken was gone. So of course now he's worried about not having chicken feet with him when he gets picked up so he spent the better part of the morning hunting that drat chicken down. Eventually he found it and secured it better to the tree until it was time to eat it.

The way they were taught to kill it was to place a stick over it's head on the ground, stand on the stick to either side of its head and then grab it by the feet and then yank the body upward to decapitate it. Can't remember if he said anything else about dressing the chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That sure is an interesting way to use a tank

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

My dad was a career SF officer and even in retirement works as a contractor for SOCOM. Despite being a part of SOCOM he doesn't consider Rangers to really be SOF. He has a pretty low opinion of SEALs as well. He deployed to Afghanistan with a Task Force that was mostly made up of SEALs and Rangers and according to him both units routinely made some pretty dumb decisions. He's obviously biased but he says that the SF group that was also there at the same time was showing them up hardcore. He spent his whole deployment wishing he was with that SF group instead.

In my short time in the Army I've been on 2 posts with Rangers and can't say I'm all that impressed either. The SF dudes on post are way more chill to deal with.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

When I was in, rip cadre said something like 97% of dudes in Delta were former Rangers. That might include dudes that went sf along the way, I dunno. We probably attract more dudes capable of making it through the physical part of selection, not to say sf is weak, but there's some next level meat heads in battalion

They don't pull from jsoc for the most part, they pull from the army.

Rangers are a perfectly capable direct action unit, but I don't envy anyone that has to deal with their washouts.

And uh, how much can actually be said about red wings at this point?

From talking to my dad/uncle and their SF buddies, there isn't nearly as much interest in going to Delta in SF. They prefer the UW/FID mission of SF to the primarily DA oriented Delta. Once my dad became a more senior SF officer he started steering guys he identified as being more into DA type stuff over to Delta.

It's not really true today but back in the 80's there wasn't anyone deploying as much as SF, especially 7th Group.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

One of the nice things of going through ABOLC and being a scout the entire time is never having to worry about getting a tank stuck or popping track

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Richard Bong posted:

I was an FO attached to scouts. I didn't know what a wash rack was until I went to JRTC after Iraq. I can just spray my boots off with a hose.

Have fun in your fart cans you mech dorks.

One thing I noticed is that 19 series consider SBCTs a light assignment and 11 series consider them a heavy assignment. Personally I think they have more in common with IBCTs but with obviously more maintenance.

I like strykers, they're pretty comfortable as scouts because there's only like 5 or 6 dudes per stryker. Still spend most of our time dismounted though.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The thumbnail of a stryker on a video about tanks was enough for me

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Interesting, I worked with several Nepalese Soldiers in the Army, one of them a Thapa. One them had mentioned him being a higher caste but I didn't really have any idea what any of that meant.

All of the Nepalese I met in the Army were well educated enlisted Soldiers that consistently outperformed most of their American born counterparts and superiors.

They never talked too much about Nepal but they all seemed proud to be Nepalese but I got the vibe that they weren't all that happy with how society is back in Nepal, especially the women.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Too backwards, specifically with arranged marriages and how women are treated there in general.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Seeing you mention a name I recognized (Thapa) made me google the last names of the others and it looks like they all have surnames related to the higher castes. Guess that makes sense since they would have an easier time immigrating to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Apparently a microburst at Ft. Hood some years ago.

I had never heard of these until recently when a blackhawk mechanic friend had it happen to his unit. Did a ton of damage, I wonder what the FLIPL looks like for events like these.