Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Talmonis posted:

No, gently caress that. Failure to compete, typically the result of factors out of the individual's control, should not result in death in a civlized nation.

If they refuse to purchase food (and not because like all the bodegas near them are out of stock somehow) with the money we gave them, I don't know what to say.

What's really shocking to me is Ytlaya's notion that there is a sizable portion of the people who would get a net gain from mincome, just won't buy food with it or pay rent. That's a level of disability that demands assisted living, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

In a civilized, Democratic society, individuals should have the freedom to make bad life choices which may result in their death. They should not be free from the consequences of their life choices. How else can you have a free society if you do not hold individuals accountable for their actions?

I agree with this. There's no sense taking every possible police state measure to keep people from jumping off bridges. We can put suicide hotline phones there, but ultimately we have to allow some viable means of self-harm for the exceptionally self-destructive, and in some cases we can get them institutionalized (I just wish the institutions that we -alize people into were better at improving people's inner strength and capacity for success), but trying to stop all of them would swiftly lead to a totalitarian world.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Talmonis posted:

With addicts, which many thousands if not a few million Americans are, I can see that being a problem.

But assisted living sounds like a solution. Even if it's not exactly a shiny, happy one.

But those addicts are somehow not starving to death, without mincome. I think that institutionalizing people who are so addicted they spent every last cent on just the drug, then they'll either OD anyway, or their vagrancy could get them put in the (reformed) system, where they would receive treatment. But that's just my absurd pipe dream of a sensible America.

• Locked thread