Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Please thorn, you have 40 Maimai's, upgrade some gear already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kurieg posted:

But once he upgrades the fire rod, why use anything else?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

EponymousMrYar posted:

As someone who has beaten the Helmasaur King A: Only using the Hammer and B: Only using the Bombs, Highwang's primary problem with that fight was thinking that spin attacks did more damage than a normal swing (when the easiest method is to bomb the mask and then normally slash the head.)

The 3D Zeldas introduced that.

Spin attacks did more damage than a regular swing in A Link To The Past as well, so if they don't do more damage in A Link Between Worlds, it's unexpected and deviates from the pattern.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The problem with spin attacks is the windup; it's usually better to just spam normal slashes since you do more damage in the same amount of time, iirc.

Although it did look like bombs would have made his life easier on that boss.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Like Clockwork posted:

The problem with spin attacks is the windup; it's usually better to just spam normal slashes since you do more damage in the same amount of time, iirc.
It's this. In the time you can charge up and unleash a spin slash you can do 3-5 normal slashes and it's certainly not more than 3x the power of a single slash. It's the same in Link Between Words only moreso because of better button detection, so you can reach turbo-controller speeds of slashing.

Also I was wrong in the first place, the sword has the same attack power as the arrows but a much wider hit area and comes out way faster.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kurieg posted:

He can't upgrade the stuff at this point, he has to own it himself which requires buying it outright from Ravio rather than renting it from him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

He can't upgrade the stuff at this point, he has to own it himself which requires buying it outright from Ravio rather than renting it from him.

He also has 4000 rupees.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kurieg posted:

He also has 4000 rupees.

The option to purchase the items wasn't available until Thorn got the three Pendants of Virtue though.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
And also, if he buys those items, he won't have as many rupees in the bank. And then he'd be poor.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I also went back and checked between every drat dungeon if I could buy the weapons. Doesn't happen until Part 14.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I could have sworn you could buy items as soon as you have access to Lorule. Or after you beat the first dungeon. It might specifically be the dark forest temple that you're heading to now though, which would be annoying.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Kurieg posted:

I could have sworn you could buy items as soon as you have access to Lorule. Or after you beat the first dungeon. It might specifically be the dark forest temple that you're heading to now though, which would be annoying.

Internet research says you only need the three pendants.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Took long enough, but I'm finally able to purchase and upgrade my weapons now. Don't worry, the ultimate weapon will be mine soon enough...

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I did Hyrule Hotfoot the "incredibly difficult" way. All I got was this lousy t-shirt Because I never quite figured out the dishonest way of doing it. Argh, it's borderline impossible to do it legit, but I guess we get bragging rights or something, eh?

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 9, 2016

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
No "it's turtles all the way down" joke? Shameful. :colbert:

I beat this game a couple of months ago and I never even knew Hyrule Hotfoot existed. Or maybe I just forgot. Either way, makes me wonder how much else I missed.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Turtles do very well in lava. Get Pubert.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I see no fish or crab ladies in this dungeon, so I must be missing the Pubert reference.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Pubert's favorite actual snack is Turtle Tongues.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, right. I forgot. Because that's nasty.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Good news: new episodes of Tri Force Heroes have been recorded with XelEsparza's help... but not as many as we tried. We cleared out World 5 so that will go up no problem, but we couldn't finish World 6 Level 2 without burn out, and I refuse to upload parts without progress. Hopefully we can get around to beating its madness before too long. In the meantime, here's Xel's reaction to World 6 and its bullshit:

PS: If anyone wants to contribute background art or fanart that can easily be converted into background art, now's a good time to share it as I put the next videos together.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Latest Updates

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I mentioned, these next few TFH parts will include XelEsparza filling in for Yoshi. Meanwhile in ALBW we're exploring some more and figuring out how to get rid of that huge rock blocking the next dungeon.

Also got this great background art from my comic's artist, Lore/Impishcomics:

MugiwaraYoshi - Yesterday at 7:39 PM
"Much like Blue I'm eternally pissed too"

ThornBrain - Yesterday at 7:43 PM
"And I live in eternal fear of you I guess"

BigTBogard - Yesterday at 7:49 PM
"And I revel in the chaos I've created"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah Squid Baseball sucks and is the reason why I will never 100% this game. Then again the fact that an optional minigame is the worst part about ALBW speaks to its overall quality.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I like the fact that the Maimais squeak in time with the "you found a thing!" sound.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If you have the upgraded fire rod in your active slots, you use it instead of a stick for the baseball. Donno if the normal fire rod does that too, because it's my first upgrade every time.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I've not only never finished the baseball minigame, I've never actually played it. Took one look at the field and NOPEd right the gently caress out. I knew it was going to be nothing but pain the minute I laid eyes on it.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
That Hinox does eventually attack you if you ask for too many rupees (after you get a couple silver rupees from him).

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Man, some of the bosses in TFH look like total bullshit. I've got a grudge against Moldorm as it is (:argh:), but flaming Moldorm can go suck a cock.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
The last thing I was expecting from Triforce Heroes was "big iron Kuribo's Shoe level".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
TacoBob is looking mighty blue, between the blue tunic and the hylian shield.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
...Sooooo, am I right in thinking you could have grabbed those bomb flowers and blown up the ice balls? :v:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Yapping Eevee posted:

...Sooooo, am I right in thinking you could have grabbed those bomb flowers and blown up the ice balls? :v:

I recall us trying that, among a number of things, but nothing worked. There was a lot of failed footage I cut out there. Someone else mentioned we could have puffed them off the stage. Whatever, we finished it and I don't want to think about it anymore. Until the challenges.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The height of firepower in ALBW, the lowest of dignity in TFH.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The fire fuckers are lynels. Showed up in classiz Zelda as

E: and the heart piece is accessed from the dark world mines. Same part of them as the light world heart piece by the springs.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 4, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bouldering is rock climbing without equipment. Usually on small cliff faces and/or boulders.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wow, that dungeon gimmick from World 6 was a mess. I wonder how that passed muster in the playtesting, because it seems a pain to control and I'm guessing there's no outfit to mitigate its effects.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

On the ALBW front, from memory the Upgraded Lantern and Bug Net do 8x the amount of damage the original versions do. Which is surprising, because I didn't realize the original lantern did damage. Hero mode is definitely rough, to the point that I remember any hits from anything the moment you enter the dark world are pretty much instant death unless you've picked up almost every heart piece available to you at that stage.

On the Triforce Heroes front, it's worth mentioning that the Boomeranger outfit makes the boomerang cause damage as well as stun when it connects. It saves alot of bother for that fight.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
You ready for sand?!

In ALBW, Yoshi and I make our way through a pretty interesting dungeon and try to make our brains work so that it stays that way. Meanwhile in TFH, Renose from the Extra Life stream and some anonymous players help me through that idiot vulture and the rest of the Dunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've beaten the game on hero mode multiple times, and IMO it's simply not worth it. Enemies at the start of the game 2-shot you. Grab every heart piece, beeline the water temple's armor, get the best weapon upgrades and play as conservatively as possible. There's simply no room for screwing around. You can't brave the damaging enemies on the mountain to hit the ice palace first for shits and giggles, nothing like that.

• Locked thread