Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raere
Dec 13, 2007

NOTE: In honor of the year in which the Hurd project was born, I have made this thread 56K SAFE by compressing JPG images a little more than necessary!

It's been 26 years since the Hurd project was started which coincidentally is also my age. I've grown into a fine young man so let's see how Linux's competitor has matured in the same time period.
First, a look at Wikipedia to see what Hurd is all about :

quote:

In December 1991 the primary architect of the Hurd described the name as a mutually recursive acronym:[5]

It's time [to] explain the meaning of "Hurd". "Hurd" stands for "Hird of Unix-Replacing Daemons". And, then, "Hird" stands for "Hurd of Interfaces Representing Depth". We have here, to my knowledge, the first software to be named by a pair of mutually recursive acronyms.
— Thomas (then Michael) Bushnell

We've reached sperg territory and we're only at the name. This was anticipated, so we continue onward!

As a quick sidenote let's check this Thomas (then Michael) Bushnell out, he has a Wiki article:

quote:

Thomas Bushnell, BSG, formerly known as Michael Bushnell (born 1967), is a software developer and Gregorian friar. He was the founder[1] and principal architect of GNU's official kernel project, GNU Hurd.[2] Bushnell was also Hurd's official maintainer from its instigation until November 2003, when he posted to the GNU project's discussion mailing list saying that he had been dismissed by Richard Stallman for criticizing the GNU Free Documentation License.[3] Stallman said the dismissal was because Bushnell had been inactive since 2001 and wasn't responding to mail.[4]

Of course RMS dismissed the principal architect of his project because of disagreement over a license for documentation. Of course.

Anyway, luckily the fine folks at Debian have packaged Hurd with their installer and package management system to that it can be used out of the box. There is no official Hurd distro, other projects have had to wrap poo poo around it to make it work.
First, I download an install disc.

That's a lot of CDs for a 2-bit OS...

I download DVD 1 hoping that it's enough to get a basic install working.

Then I create a VM because lol if I'm going to dedicate any hardware to this turd (which coincidentally rhymes with Hurd!)

It's 32-bit only of course. VMWare stupidly does not have a template for one of the most important operating systems ever, so I choose 'Other Linux' :getin:

I give it 1GB of RAM because

quote:

Just like any 32-bit OS without bad tricks, GNU Mach can not cope well with lots of memory. Latest versions of the Debian gnumach package will limit themselves to around 1.7 GiB of memory. If you want more, you can twiddle the VM_MAX_ADDRESS limit between kernelland and userland in i386/include/mach/i386/vm_param.h.

I boot from the disc and away we go! Whatever pseudo-graphical means.

It sits at a blue screen for a good 5 minutes after I select my keyboard layout. I hope this experiment isn't over before it began!

At last it continues on.

Even though the virtual hard drive is 10GB, I guess the 2GB barrier has not been crossed yet. No, not the 2GB memory barrier. The storage barrier.

Ack! The installer halts after trying to create partitions (only ext2 and swap are supported)
Oh, VMWare defaults to SCSI, doesn't it? Uh alright let's try IDE and start again.

Yes! It continues on. Now I wait.

And wait.

It's been 20 minutes and it's still going.

Stay tuned to this exciting thread for more updates coming soon! When (if) it finishes installing we'll take a tour and even try installing a web server!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:) im looking forward to the rest of this

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

install gnome3 op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sounds like a great idea for the next "twitch installs"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
unironically enjoying thread so far, looking forward to the thrilling conclusion

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
gently caress yes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

It finally finished installing after about 45 minutes. I rebooted and it appears to be starting up...

...but it's been like this for 15 minutes. And it's maxing out its CPU.

I think it's...just trying to start the ext2 mounter?

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I let it sit there for a couple hours while it burned through cycles trying to mount a partition, finally deciding it must be stuck in some sort of loop. We can't expect magic here, these functions were coded by a Gregorian monk afterall. I finally got it to boot by choosing recovery mode. Unfortunately I made a mistake by running the highly volatile startx command which crashed the system and now it won't come up even in recovery mode. Stay tuned while i try to import the premade image (meant for kvm) into vmware

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
it's like, op, much like your posting, this OS is a POS

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

does rms even use this poo poo?

b h m
Feb 13, 2016

akadajet posted:

does rms even use this poo poo?

No but he believes in it

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

More to come tomorrow!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Wat?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Hey MooCow -- it's Hurd not Herd. :D

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Raere posted:

More to come tomorrow!

Owns.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Also owns.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Squeezy Farm posted:

Hey MooCow -- it's Hurd not Herd. :D

haha :cool::respek::cow:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
get that poo poo in the cloud

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i too like installing operation system in virtual machines for no real reason

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i too like installing operation system in virtual machines for no real reason

:jackbud:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

make the neptune thread plz

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
lol @ the shameful hurd developer not writing it as "gnu/linux"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jony ive aces posted:

lol @ the shameful hurd developer not writing it as "gnu/linux"

RMS might be the only person left who writes it that way

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Raere posted:

More to come tomorrow!

awwwww yeeaaaah

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

gimme

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I had to use VirtualBox because ESX does not want to boot this POS. Another victory for open source :smug:

Here's the default desktop with some applications (apps) open. The included web browser and mail client are both terminal based.

There are multiple era-appropriate themes to choose from! Win95 is pretty sweet, but I decide on warp4 because OS/2 or star trek or something

I tried to check out some of the cool sounding screensavers but the daemon wouldn't start, even after turning off access control which "will allow anyone logged on to this machine to access your screen, which may be considered a security problem"

It has a patch! Luckily the patient folks at Debian ported apt so things shouldn't be too difficult.

For my first package, I'll install Apache! Everything runs httpd.

Hmm maybe not.

I screwed around for a bit, made it use mdm_prefork instead of mdm_event, whatever the hell that means.

I think it works! Let's set up port forwarding so I can access it with a real web browser...

...and voila!

Now that apache is working, what other fun things should I try with my brand new, achingly slow OS?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Raere posted:

...and voila!

Now that apache is working, what other fun things should I try with my brand new, achingly slow OS?

what a beautiful POS OS

see what sort of pain is involved with playing any sort of media

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

yeah see if you can get sound working

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Wait, why the hell would you change your name from "Michael" to "Thomas"?!

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I also wanted to point out that just idling at the desktop with top open, it sits at between 20-30% CPU usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

also,

Testiclops posted:

yeah see if you can get sound working

• Locked thread