Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Dark Souls 2 has a filter like that. It censors sequences of letters in the middle of words, resulting in filtering "Persephone" to "Persep**ne" and "Knight" to "K***ht." I had to stare at that second one a while to figure out what had happened.

On top of this, the banned word list apparently includes "dog." :pwn:

I asked some of my anime friends about this, and they say yaoi is generally targeted at girls, and yuri at grown-rear end men.

Additionally, it's seen as common and not unhealthy/abnormal for girls to go through a lesbian phase, but they're expected to grow out of it and date guys like grown-ups.

So yeah, the US appears to be ahead of Japan. Beyond that, though, Nintendo is...weird. Around about 2003 when Xbox Live had developed into a Big Deal, the president of Nintendo commented that online multiplayer was "a fad." Flash forward to the latest Smash Brothers game and Nintendo proudly described during interviews how if a connection is interrupted it will seamlessly replace your human opponent with an AI one. They said this as if it were a good thing that you can never know whether the come-from-behind victory you pulled was against a real person.

Point is, I have no goddamn clue whether Nintendo is representative of Japanese social mores as a whole, or if this is just another issue they're out of touch on.

I'd say it's probably more of a general Japanese thing. They tend to be very conservative when it comes to business, and are usually pretty traditionalist when it comes to the way they do said business. They didn't used to put tasteful depictions of homosexuality in their games before, so they won't do it now. The same went for online functionality, even if they still don't do it very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread