Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Thanks for the 10,000 views! I appreciate the popularity this topic has gotten on PYF. :)

That being said, what are all of your views on censorship in general? While I agree that there should be parental controls on what kind of content the young children of parents are allowed to see, in general I support keeping content free of censorship.

Generally, if good media is made with sexuality or violence as part of its message, it's best to keep the authors' original message intact. By deleting or modifying the work, you lose the intent or impact the work is meant to make. See: Goodfellas, Scarface, etc as another poster mentioned. Without their violence in these cases, these movies lose their meaning.

Being uncomfortable is a good thing. If we do not flex the boundaries we are comfortable with, society is worse off in the long run.

On that note, I disagree with Germany's censorship of violence and Nazism. If we do not talk about these things and explore these topics in our art, we allow them to flourish in the darker corners of society where there is no oversight.

Generally I am not fond of censorship involving adults in adult-oriented material. I feel pretty differently when it involves kids. The infamous recent spat of changes to Nintendo games for example is not particularly something I find particularly objectionable because it heavily focuses around the sexualization of underage characters and it's a choice between not releasing it at all or changing it to remove material that frankly just is hosed up from a non-thematic perspective.

I think pretending Nazism doesn't exist or acting like seeing a boob is going to make someone murder people is silly but I don't extend that to material involving underage characters. This isn't a hard-and-fast rule. I don't think Lolita or American Beauty should be altered because they have a pretty clear and distinctive purpose rather than being mindless wank fodder.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Did I miss a post? When I hear "Nintendo censorship" I think of them demanding cross gravestones be changed to generic RIP slabs and requiring the attack dogs in Wolfenstein 3d be changed to giant rats.

There are a few examples.

Recently a game called Xenoblade Chronicles X came out which features a 13 year old cast member. It is a game which has an extreme amount of skimpy armor as video games are known to do and they censored it by giving her exclusive versions of most of the armors toned down to be less, uh, that. I'd post pictures but see aforementioned 13 year old. It was largely stuff like adding extra black cloth or giving the character a shirt when other versions of the costumes don't have a shirt.

There was another one called Fatal Frame where a scene involves a young character wearing an extremely skimpy bikini. This is actually somewhat plot-relevant (it's part of the story that she feels uncomfortable being stuck in that outfit in a horror situation) but it was pretty blatantly a thinly-veiled attempt to include a young character wearing a skimpy bikini so they adjusted it despite the fact it makes the scene make less sense as-written.

It's largely stuff like that. Bravely Default had a "brave bikini' which was absurdly scanty and they made it merely skimpy (and also bumped the character's ages up though only by a year or two so I guess it depends on if 14-15 is less creepy than 13.)

There are other cases of censorship which are harder to justify but also not entirely inexplicable. Bravely Second for example had a class called Tomahawak which was pretty much Generic Native American Stereotype:

So for the English version they're replacing it with Hawkeye, a Cowboy themed class instead.

For understandable reasons with the whole Redskin controversy but people have commented on the oddity of taking a Native American costume and replacing it with a Cowboy costume.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Feb 23, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Didn't Xenoblade Chronicles X also have a bust slider for the character creator in Japan which is missing from western copies?

Yeah, for a similar reason. The character creator basically has one option for your body type (height) and two for women (height and bust) and in the latter case you could basically replicate the 13 year old but without censored outfits so they removed it entirely. It's one of those cases where it's kinda dumb but it was also kind of dumb that it was in because in the original your options were 'height' and 'how big yo titties are' and that's about it aside from facial customization.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

FWIW by all accounts the translation made the gay characters worse.

This is actually the opposite. The only significant change made to the characters is that the lady has a different final support conversation for dudes and ladies and the lady/lady one includes lines like "I wish I'd be been born a man" and various other things. In the English version they're the same between both genders (which was already true for the guy.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

We had to do a small report on the key players of ww2 back in 9th grade. My group got Hitler. Do you know how hard it is to research Hitler on public school internet? drat near impossible

You wouldn't want kids learning that nazis exist except in their textbooks and films.

• Locked thread