Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I always wonder why titties and sex get so much more of a watchful eye cast over them than some person getting their brains bashed in or shot in the head. On the list of things I hope my kid never does, engaging in violence and weapons falls way below having sex or ever seeing a naked lady.

Also, some of the stuff censors try to do to air clean versions of movies that have rob everything about them once they're scrubbed bugs the poo poo out of me. Why even bother airing movies like Goodfellas, Scarface or Pulp Fiction on TBS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think ratings serve a purpose to a certain extent. I just hate how they're attached to specific ages like PG-13, R and X are. I don't see a whole lot wrong with a system that lets us know of something is heavy on profanity, sex, violence, gore or what have you - be it music or a movie or anything - just as a general guideline for concerned parents or anyone. I look at it like ingredients on food products.

IT's OK to let us know what's in it.

As the parent of a five year old, I realize it's my job to monitor this sort of stuff and sometimes a description helps. That way, I can decide for myself. I'm just always baffled by the ambiguity of what's considered "age appropriate" and the frequent hypocrisy of the whole thing.

Off topic a bit, but the last time I went to Dave & Busters and even Chuck E. Cheese, it was a tad alarming and a bit off putting to see so many 8 year old kids shooting guns, even if it's only pretend. Almost all the game are shooters and racers, aside from the pop a shot and ski ball type games.

• Locked thread