Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

He also worked on 92 Xmen, and lent me his copy of the series bible, including the do nots. These were stuff like no guns that look like real guns, all have to be futuristic; If you have a gun shoot, you cannot have it shoot and hit a person in the same shot, it has to be divided Wolverine could never use his claws on anyone, but robots and monsters were a-ok; Mystique could never change into a male and make any kind of romantic gestures towards female characters. There was pages of stuff like that, a lot of stuff to avoid as well, like try not to imply any intimate relationships between Jean and Scott and Rogue and Gambit. The weirdest one was they were never to refer to Magneto as a holocaust survivor or anything relating to that, not even make him Jewish, hence why he's always referred to as Magnus in the show.

Wasn't Rogue and Gambits thing that they literally couldn't touch each other because of their powers? I thought I remembered them specifically mentioning that even in the cartoon when I was a kid cause I remember even then thinking "wow that blows"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking earlier about how quickly nudity and sex became acceptable in games. GTA San Andreas cost Rockstar 80 million due to the Hot Coffee thing, something that wasn't accessible without mods and wasn't even explicit. Now you can play Witcher 3 and have HBO level sex scenes and casual nudity, or Stick of Truth with full on swinging ball sacks.

Though I think the fact most PC games are sold digitally these days, so who cares as long as its up on steam. Though that doesn't explain console versions, but does wal-mart and target stock these games?

I bought Witcher 3 from Walmart and I've seen it at Target so yeah

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

It's just amazing how a decade ago it would be an AO game for the nudity and sex, but now, how gives a gently caress? It also may be because video games have gotten to a point were they aren't automatically thought of as just for kids, and so they're looked upon like movies.

I think corporations have started to pay attention to the fact that most gamers are around like 35-40 now or whatever that statistic was and have reacted accordingly. Unless it's specifically a kids game you also rarely see videogame ads focused on a below-18 crowd anymore

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

foobardog posted:

Now, compare that to Mortal Kombat X, released just last year, which didn't really attract all that much attention and handwringing:

:nws: :nms: it's the loving fatalities video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YxPFw7lfY0

Haha poo poo these are brutal as hell. I think it's more that the characters are talking to each other and screaming in agony that makes it way more intense. I did love Jax saying "I'm gonna knock you on your butt" and following that up by shoving a woman's ribs through her eye socket

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think I read somewhere that when the Jesuits came to Japan in the 16th century they though Japan was really great except for the paganism and the widespread acceptance of homosexuality.

I think japan's "acceptance of homosexuality" was similar to Greek pederasty where an adult man would have an underage male lover. You couldn't be in a relationship with another adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

It's interesting how Animal Crossing changed all their gender-bending characters for Western releases, but in New Leaf you can wear feminine clothing, accessories, dresses, and even get feminine hair styles on male characters. Nintendo should be more like Disney and recognize that a low-key alliance is in order. Disney doesn't organize but has always been very supportive of "gay day" at their parks, and because of the campy quality of everything the company does, gay people who happen to appreciate camp will throw money at Disney. Nintendo is similarly campy, and they could gain a lot from being open about it instead of sticking to their "family-friendly" fairly conservative image.

It's japan: they don't have a great grasp on trans or gay issues, and a lot of the gender-bender stuff that got taken out of games when they come to the states were because they're offensive or fetishistic

• Locked thread