Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Some old favourites: 1) When they replace swear words with other dubbed words for TV broadcast. A particular favourite of mine is "Monkey Feather" for Motherfucker. Or "This is what you get when you meet a stranger in the Alps!"

I'm sick and tired of these monkey fighting snakes in this Monday to Friday plane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
Not really censorship, but forum/internet filtering was always interesting to me.

For example, how the steam forums change swear words to hearts, somethingawful's logged out filters (gently caress, etc.) and even just the regular word filters that cycle in and out (sjw, cuck, I'm gay, etc.) guild wars 2's forum changes swears to "kitten."

It's neat how it also slightly changes the attitudes and cultures on those sites. Some people will voluntarily use the filters even when they don't have to, other people will intentionally play around with it.

Seeing what gets changed is always neat. I remember Neopets had some really baffling ones back in the day. Twilight got filtered to My Little Pony, for example.

• Locked thread