Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
If it's okay with you guys I'm just gonna quote the post that I made in the other thread because it's still one of my favorite bits of trivia while also showcasing the double standards of the MPAA

Happy Landfill posted:

Tina Fey has mentioned that the MPAA wanted to give Mean Girls an R rating based on the line, "Somebody wrote in that book that I'm lying about being a virgin, 'cause I use super-jumbo tampons, but I can't help it if I've got a heavy flow and a wide-set vagina!" She had to go in and argue that in Anchorman, which had just come out if I'm remembering correctly, featured Ron Burgundy with a full-on raging boner and was only PG-13...but a teenage girl talking about her vagina in a non-sexual manner was apparently too much? They relented and gave it PG-13 in the end.

I can't think of the name of the movie, but there was a movie a couple years back (a romcom or something) that was your normal PG-13 fare except for the fact that it had two openly gay characters that were obviously together...so it was given an R rating. No sex or anything. Just gays. Also, I think they wanted to give Blue Valentine an NC-17 rating for the cunnilingus scene despite the fact that you see blow jobs in R movies all the time.

Some of this stuff is actually kind of fascinating.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Some old favourites: 1) When they replace swear words with other dubbed words for TV broadcast. A particular favourite of mine is "Monkey Feather" for Motherfucker. Or "This is what you get when you meet a stranger in the Alps!"

Happy Gilmore had some pretty entertaining tv edits. Per imdb:

quote:

-In the NBC TV version, there are several changes. When Happy first sees Shooter before he plays golf the first time on the pro course, instead of saying "If I saw myself in those clothes I'd have to kick my own rear end" he says "...my own butt." In the bar scene Happy says to Shooter about bieng on the Tour "...Now I got a new reason: kicking your head" instead of "...your rear end." When Happy and Bob Barker fight, when Happy says "The price is wrong, bitch" the "bitch" is removed, among many other small changes in the film.
-On the Fox version, many examples of product placement are cut out: Sports Illustrated becomes "the pros", all references to Subway are cut, "a Pepsi" becomes "some breakfast", and most of the final shot(where Happy shoots his ball through the stands) is cut due to a Subway flag.
-Happy tells Chubbs that golf requires "goofy pants and a fat rear end". On television airings, "rear end" is poorly overdubbed with "can".
Another ridiculous one that I saw one time, I want to say it was on ABC Family, where the line, "You know what *else* could draw a crowd? A golfer with an arm growing out of his rear end." with the word rear end badly over dubbed with "yoohoo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Pixeltendo posted:

My favorite has to be the insane reaches 4kids went to making One Piece "family-friendly" this included replacing cigars with lollipops and a blunderbuss with a completely made up thingamajig.

For reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckVJVoU6g6s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuOIKGD5_r0

Those are only two examples but there are countless more. Honestly, just do a youtube search for 4kids Once Piece dub. My personal favorite is DIC cutting the two last episodes of season 1 of Sailor Moon so much (basically cutting out all the death, having the senshi sent "to the Negaverse" instead.) that it became one poorly paced episode.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Edit: nevermind

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Practical Demon posted:

Some states, specifically Michigan, have made new, unconstitutional sodomy laws THIS MONTH and attached them to anti-bestiality bills. Oral and anal sex are both illegal between ALL people there now, regardless of marriage status.

Because, you know, it's not like they have more important things to attend to like the town that's been spewing nothing but lead water for two years.

Edit for content:

quote:

Sailor Moon stuff

You know, sometime I wonder how they would have even attempted editing Stars for tv, which, for those who don't know, features male characters that magically transform into women (it's not quite the same in the comic-- they are women who disguise themselves as men by just dressing as men...in the tv series their disguise is actually physical because of magic and stuff) I'm honestly not surprised they never bothered with it.

Edit again: I wonder what they would have changed "Star Gentle Uterus" to
:allears:

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Feb 19, 2016

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Would anyone be interested in pointing out how ratings systems differ between countries (ie if violence bumps up a rating higher in, say, Japan or Australia versus how sex would be rated differently in America)? I've heard some interested talk about ratings between the ESRB and CERO in the Zero Escape thread in Games, just curious to hear more here.

I'm down. That sounds pretty interesting.

• Locked thread