Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There was Censorship in the Cardcaptor Sakura series when that was dubbed too, which made it largely incoherent. Mostly in the romances:

1)Li's 'sister' Mei Ling was actually his arranged bride, not his sister so her jealousy of Sakura makes more sense in the subbed version.

2) There were references early on when Li was first introduced that he may have been gay, he crushed pretty hard on Yukito (Sakura's crush) when he met him. He made him a lunch, and Tomoyo, Sakura's BFF, made a joke about him being a rivbal in more than just capturing cards. It was eventually revealed that he wasn't actually gay, he was attracted to Yukito because he was secretly a clow card guardian, the moon guardian Yue, so Li and Sakura were more attracted to the Moon Energy he gave off without realising it. Yukito didn't know this, he thought he was just a normal guy, and does so whenever he is Yukito.

3) There were numerous references to Li and Sakura being a thing, but as far as I could tell the dub made Li pretty much non-sexual so that aspect of the character was lost. The arc was supposed to culminate in Li giving Sakura a teddy bear before going back to China for the end of the first series, as giving someone a home-made teddybear (from a kit anyway) was a way of showing affection at Sakura's school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wasn't Rogue and Gambits thing that they literally couldn't touch each other because of their powers? I thought I remembered them specifically mentioning that even in the cartoon when I was a kid cause I remember even then thinking "wow that blows"

It would be a hell of a feedback loop with Rogue absorbing Gambit's power then charging him back by accident. "I charge you. You charge me! We're exploding painfully~"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

When I was like 15 (christ, 2007 was THAT long ago?) I went to this multimedia production nerd camp thing, and when our work for the day was done they let us play games, namely stuff like Jedi outcast and starcraft. However, in the most infuriatingly inconsistent ruling to teenage me, they said you couldn't play the multiplayer with guns or singleplayer with guns in JKJO until after an arbitrary time in the evening (8 PM, I think it was). I had to go home before that. Literally cutting dudes in half with lightsabers is totally kosher for some reason but god forbid there's a laser rifle on a screen. :derp:

I can at least see the logic. Guns are more widespread in the US but a lot of people don't have access to swords. That makes guns way more imitable than lightsabers.

• Locked thread