Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

That being said, what are all of your views on censorship in general? While I agree that there should be parental controls on what kind of content the young children of parents are allowed to see, in general I support keeping content free of censorship.

I'm generally pretty dead set against it. I'm not a huge fan of violence in media but sex is cool and good and people should calm their tits about it, even about children watching. I'm not sure what people think the downside to kids seeing/hearing about sex is exactly but I grew up as an insomniac with cable in my bedroom. Watching shows like Sex Files, Sex, Toys and Chocolate, Kink and at least a few others I don't remember the names of starting when I was 7 or 8ish had no negative effects that I can discern. If it had any effect at all it was to demystify and normalize sex which I feel is healthy in a culture that has a bizarre mixture of tabooizing and obsessing over sex.

I really have no idea what people think will happen if kids see nudity or sex, and that's even before you get to the insanity of associating nudity with sex inherently (or opposing nudity for its own sake, just why? what could possibly be the harm?). Censoring, or giving any fucks whatever, about swearing is at least as baffling.

Violence is the only area where censorship makes anything approaching sense. I still oppose it, let people decide for themselves or the parents decide for their kids, but I can at least understand why people would want to limit it or inform that media contains it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Roro posted:

That's right, since the word "fag" is actually in that Pokemon's name, it was initially unable to be traded without a nickname as the censor would pick it out and ban it. It's been adjusted now to allow the Pokemon to be traded, but it amazed me the first time I came across it that they hosed up their censorship/naming process so badly.
Dungeons and Dragons Online had something very similar. The word bastard was censored and D&D contains bastard swords. So you'd occasionally see people trying to trade their +3 Holy ******* Sword of Pure Good or the like. I don't think that was ever fixed, not while I still played at least, though it was an unpopular item type so it didn't come up too much.

• Locked thread