Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Panfilo posted:

For example Norbit got a lot of backlash, but it seemed more focused around negative African American stereotypes then 'lol fat chick' attitudes.

The backlash to Norbit I saw was "jesus christ this is awful on every conceivable level," including that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samovar posted:

I seem to recall a scene in the Matrix, the first one, where Morpheus gets caught by the baddies. What happens in the uncut scene is Agent Smith begins to slowly pull Morpheus's hands from his throat, whereupon M. headbutts him in the face.

In the first edition of that film I saw, they removed the headbutt scene and skip straight to the punch-up, which left little ol' me wondering where the hell Smith's sunglasses (which were broken because of the headbutt) went before the fight scene.

Are you British? The BBFC used to be really, really weird about nunchaku and headbutts, for whatever reason.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BiggerBoat posted:

I always wonder why titties and sex get so much more of a watchful eye cast over them than some person getting their brains bashed in or shot in the head. On the list of things I hope my kid never does, engaging in violence and weapons falls way below having sex or ever seeing a naked lady.

Also, some of the stuff censors try to do to air clean versions of movies that have rob everything about them once they're scrubbed bugs the poo poo out of me. Why even bother airing movies like Goodfellas, Scarface or Pulp Fiction on TBS?

Cable is actually way less stringent than it used to be- they'll usually just air those movies with a TV-MA and mute most of the F-bombs. Walking Dead and American Horror Story pretty much mean cable networks don't have a leg to stand on for censoring violence and sex nowadays, and every curse below "gently caress" is acceptable with a TV-MA (and whether "gently caress" is acceptable just depends on the channel- FX says no, Comedy Central says yes, AMC says sometimes).

e: also, the misogyny and hyperviolence of American culture is not an accident, and the people who want to maintain it tend to end up on ratings boards, with regards to the sex vs. violence thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
GTA San Andreas was a weird case because it was interactive sex scenes, iirc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Cassie Cage ones are legit hilarious, but I can definitely see it on the others.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cat Hatter posted:

"Hey, did you get the joke? Because we're going to keep doing it until it isn't a joke anymore"

I think it's more that the series has gone on so long that they've just run out of ideas, and they have to go for the bizarre/sadistic-feeling ones simply because they've done all the low-hanging fruit already and don't want to rehash.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr Christmas posted:

Wow, this just got me to briefly root for Scrappy Doo.

quote:

He sold his jade green Rolls Royce and his mansion in Hancock Park and spent the rest of his life in peace and love with a newly-started family in Chile. That's right: Chile. He used to phone me at least once a week to chat and tell jokes, and he was obviously very happy there. He passed away in 2006.

I'm really glad the actor who played him got a happy ending. :unsmith:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BiggerBoat posted:

Off topic a bit, but the last time I went to Dave & Busters and even Chuck E. Cheese, it was a tad alarming and a bit off putting to see so many 8 year old kids shooting guns, even if it's only pretend. Almost all the game are shooters and racers, aside from the pop a shot and ski ball type games.

Movie theaters are exactly the same way around here in Texas. The local Cinemark used to have a beat-up Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter machine, but that's been gone for years and was pretty much the last vestige of arcade games other than shooters and racers in my area.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
With film, I can kinda see it, because government regulation of film would a) be very iffy on First Amendment grounds and b) potentially neuter films like Elysium, Sicario, the Purge series, etc. that are critical of the current American status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Movies that depict the US military and take their funding/advice from them already whitewash/self-censor any negative depictions AFAIK.

But you totally have the ability to say "gently caress that" and just work with a lower budget. The movies I mentioned straight up wouldn't exist with government censorship, because Elyisum and the Purge movies are basically screaming "gently caress RICH PEOPLE, FULL COMMUNISM NOW" from the hilltops and Sicario is all about how badly we hosed up Mexico with the War on Drugs.

• Locked thread