Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pixeltendo posted:

My favorite has to be the insane reaches 4kids went to making One Piece "family-friendly" this included replacing cigars with lollipops and a blunderbuss with a completely made up thingamajig.

They also showed one episode of Escaflowne where they didn't cut anything, they just blacked out the shots where the pilots of the good mech thingies were all bloodying and dying in close up.

But they kept the audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A dong is worse than boobs though. Seriously, a bunch of boobs in a movie, and it pretty much gets an R rated, but have a swinging dick, you're getting NC-17. Unless it's CGI and blue.

One of the guys I was friends with in High School, his dad was an animator, and worked on touch ups on the Sailor Moon show, among others. He told us of all the background stuff like a store that clearly had gently caress written on its sign, and the obvious removal of any curves during the transformations. He told us that the Talent line was known among the staff and they pretty much knew that it actually made the scene worse.

It is weird how just changing bloods colour makes it pass censors.

He also worked on 92 Xmen, and lent me his copy of the series bible, including the do nots. These were stuff like no guns that look like real guns, all have to be futuristic; If you have a gun shoot, you cannot have it shoot and hit a person in the same shot, it has to be divided Wolverine could never use his claws on anyone, but robots and monsters were a-ok; Mystique could never change into a male and make any kind of romantic gestures towards female characters. There was pages of stuff like that, a lot of stuff to avoid as well, like try not to imply any intimate relationships between Jean and Scott and Rogue and Gambit. The weirdest one was they were never to refer to Magneto as a holocaust survivor or anything relating to that, not even make him Jewish, hence why he's always referred to as Magnus in the show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Firstborn posted:

These two things I immediately recognized even as a kid and it took the tension right out when I know Wolverine would only cut robots and stuff.

Yea, also why Foot Clan was all robots in the TMNT series.

But yea, Wolverine would slash at a tree, then pick it up and wack someone with it, rather than you know, hacking at them with his claws. Though the comics were always ambiguous about what kind of damage he was doing in the early days. Though we know now that the Hellfire Club guards he hacked up during those comics were made into cyborgs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Subjunctive posted:

Counterpoint: Wild Things

I feel like Kevin Bacon is its own catagory.

Maybe it has changed in recent years, but I remember that growing up tits were everywhere in movies, and you rarely saw a dick, erect or flaccid.

And seriously, everyone in this thread needs to watch This Film has not yet been rated, as it really gets down to why the MPAA is really bad an rear end backwards. It should be replaced by an organization that is run by like WGA or something that picks ratings.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wasn't Rogue and Gambits thing that they literally couldn't touch each other because of their powers? I thought I remembered them specifically mentioning that even in the cartoon when I was a kid cause I remember even then thinking "wow that blows"

The implication I got was that they just didn't want the couples on the show to imply that they were having sex, even if that was actually impossible. Though I think the show did write Rogue really well that her funloving bombshell personality was a facade to cover up the really hosed up life she had. Raised by Mystique, and manipulated into being a villain and absorbing Ms Marvel powers and personality.

It was also funny that I've read that shows that feature robot characters, the rules for robots were not used, because Megatron and Optimus Prime were characters more than they were robots, so the wanton destruction of them could not be done as it would be in Ninja Turtles or X-men or GI Joe with the BATS.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking earlier about how quickly nudity and sex became acceptable in games. GTA San Andreas cost Rockstar 80 million due to the Hot Coffee thing, something that wasn't accessible without mods and wasn't even explicit. Now you can play Witcher 3 and have HBO level sex scenes and casual nudity, or Stick of Truth with full on swinging ball sacks.

Though I think the fact most PC games are sold digitally these days, so who cares as long as its up on steam. Though that doesn't explain console versions, but does wal-mart and target stock these games?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aesop Poprock posted:

I bought Witcher 3 from Walmart and I've seen it at Target so yeah

It's just amazing how a decade ago it would be an AO game for the nudity and sex, but now, how gives a gently caress? It also may be because video games have gotten to a point were they aren't automatically thought of as just for kids, and so they're looked upon like movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cat Hatter posted:

I came in to post basically this. The old ones were under 5 seconds long, so it was more like killing your fallen opponent in the most expedient way possible. The MKX ones keep going for about three times as long so they have more of a sadistic feel to them as your character just keeps on dismembering their opponent. Not to mention that when I finally get around to playing it, I'm not going to want to bother sitting through that long-rear end animation every match.

I did think the comments on Cassie's selfie were funny though.
Kano: A/S/L?
Sonya: Why is Kano on your friends list?

I like the pre fight dialog between her and Jacqui "I just said your dad was kind of hot". Is everyone in MKX parents and kids?

But yea, they feel just mean rather than an "oh gross!' moment. They're very cruel and drawn out.

Nckdictator posted:

Last year I read a pretty great book on the development of the Comics Code and the moral panic against comics called THE TEN-CENT PLAGUE:The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America. The Comics Code is pretty laughable and almost universally derided for good reason, and the effect it had on the industry was devastating. That said as I've been reading more,and more pre-code works the more nuanced my view on the Comics Code becomes.

I mean, a lot of the Golden Age comics were pretty hosed up and the fact that an 6 year old could buy them just seems iffy. Some sort of system saying something like "X,Y,and Z Are in this book, keep that in mind before reading" was needed but the Comics Code was just too heavyhanded.

This was the era where Batman ran around with guns and threw people out of windows. More Frank Castle than Bruce Wayne. It's actually kind of amazing how the comic book Moral Panic occurred. Dr Fredric Wertham who specialized in dealing with troubled kids, mostly from poor and Minor neighborhoods found that the kids he worked with all shared a love of comic books, and in the standards of the day, he came to believe that the cause of their problem was from reading comics, rather than their environment. It's not unlike blaming video games or heavy metal/rap music for lovely kid behaviors. The comic companies worried government action may be taken, they took it upon themselves to create the code. Dr Wertham actually thought the Code was stupid and didn't deal with the problems he pointed out. Comics still had murders and monsters, but now things were not violent and cute.

There were weird things in pre code comics, like was posted. There was actually how to pages about things like lockpicking and how to tie someone up (these were actually copied out of US Army training manuals by WW2 vets that were writing and drawing comics).

The Death of the code is pretty amusing. Marvel dropped it ages ago, but DC kept sending their books in until the late 90s. The funny thing is the Code wasn't even being enforced. One woman was responsible for checking comics, and she was barely doing her job out of indifference. And the code wasn't really important once the primary place to buy comics was comic stores, as when it was first introduced people mostly bought comics from corner and grocery stores.

There's two really good sources I can think of about the code and its effect. One is the documentary Comic Book Confidential, which goes heavily into the evoution of comics, from the publication of landmarks like Famous Funnies and Action comics, the moral panic, the code and the rise of underground and indie comics. The other is the Mad Magazine history, which is important because Mad is a direct result of the rise of comics and the code. EC produced some of the best Horror, Crime, Mystery and Weird comics of the era, and therefor one of the major targets of congressional hearings on the subject. MAD, being a magazine enabled them to ignore the code and just do whatever they wanted.

• Locked thread