Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

There are a few examples.

Recently a game called Xenoblade Chronicles X came out which features a 13 year old cast member. It is a game which has an extreme amount of skimpy armor as video games are known to do and they censored it by giving her exclusive versions of most of the armors toned down to be less, uh, that. I'd post pictures but see aforementioned 13 year old. It was largely stuff like adding extra black cloth or giving the character a shirt when other versions of the costumes don't have a shirt.

There was another one called Fatal Frame where a scene involves a young character wearing an extremely skimpy bikini. This is actually somewhat plot-relevant (it's part of the story that she feels uncomfortable being stuck in that outfit in a horror situation) but it was pretty blatantly a thinly-veiled attempt to include a young character wearing a skimpy bikini so they adjusted it despite the fact it makes the scene make less sense as-written.

It's largely stuff like that. Bravely Default had a "brave bikini' which was absurdly scanty and they made it merely skimpy (and also bumped the character's ages up though only by a year or two so I guess it depends on if 14-15 is less creepy than 13.)

There are other cases of censorship which are harder to justify but also not entirely inexplicable. Bravely Second for example had a class called Tomahawak which was pretty much Generic Native American Stereotype:

So for the English version they're replacing it with Hawkeye, a Cowboy themed class instead.

For understandable reasons with the whole Redskin controversy but people have commented on the oddity of taking a Native American costume and replacing it with a Cowboy costume.

Well, it's better than replacing it with a Union Army soldier which would be entirely more accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Years ago I saw a documentary about censorship during war time and its evolution. It started in like the Civil War and went through the War on Terror. I think it was on PBS, but I can't find the exact one I saw. Did find this one though which was pretty good and very similar:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/war-you-dont-see/

• Locked thread