Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

FilthyImp posted:

I don't know what's funnier:

The Captain of Industry rubbing his nubs together with sick glee as he thinks "Why yes, I Would run down to the Post Office Nutrition Distro and grab a 50lb bag of Rice n Beans to stick it to the man", like some fat trick or treaters running up to the Please Take One bowl of candy.

Someone posting that incorporating Rice n Beans into their diet (largely because they're free) somehow is a bad thing.

This is the thread that keeps on giving . much like the local food pantry!

Could Silicon Valley possibly create a Food App that would alert social media users when others needed food? That way they could Uber/Blue Apron over meals to the needy?

Zero Percent is a start up from Chicago that does good work, my program worked with them

https://app.zeropercent.us/mission.jsp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

OwlFancier posted:

Then for the purposes of this discussion I will state that in the UK the middle class are not queuing round the block for food banks despite them being more than capable of getting food out of them with some basic dishonesty.

If we are to believe that the availability of free food would create soaring demand for it, we would not expect this to be the case, so why is it?

Here there are three main things to prevent abuse.

1. You need a government referral to use them. If a social worker did not go over this with you and give you one, no food for you! Virtually all of them require this and you'll get slapped down if you don't have it. The few that don't are generally food banks that serve specific communities. In that case they already know everyone, and they are specifically in very lovely low income areas, the ones they serve! They usually have lists of the people they do serve, and often deliver the food to them.

2. The food sucks. It's horrible, and you have no control over what's there. You do not want to be eating this. The ones that require the government referral are better by leaps and bounds, but still kinda bad. The ones that don't drop off borderline starvation rations of the cheapest possible crap once a month. You'd rather eat prison food.

3. There is a massive social stigma about this. You don't want to be seen there or have anybody know you use it. And all it takes is one person seeing you there for word to get out. The rumor that you are having "money problems" is enough to ruin jobs and friendships. You'd rather tell people you have herpes and bang your dog.

So by a mix of means testing, lovely food, and social shaming middle class people and rich people either can't get free food or don't do it. You have to be willing to endure total shame, eat crap, and either have a slip from social services or someone who personally knows you and gives you food to get free food.

The situation is nothing like "free government rations provided for the community, come and get them".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

menino posted:

Zero Percent is a start up from Chicago that does good work, my program worked with them

https://app.zeropercent.us/mission.jsp
Hey now, that's actually a cool and useful thing for a business owner to use. What are the protections for everyone involved if there's a sheet of lasagne that gives someone the runs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MysteriousStranger posted:

1. You need a government referral to use them. If a social worker did not go over this with you and give you one, no food for you! Virtually all of them require this and you'll get slapped down if you don't have it. The few that don't are generally food banks that serve specific communities. In that case they already know everyone, and they are specifically in very lovely low income areas, the ones they serve! They usually have lists of the people they do serve, and often deliver the food to them.

2. The food sucks. It's horrible, and you have no control over what's there. You do not want to be eating this. The ones that require the government referral are better by leaps and bounds, but still kinda bad. The ones that don't drop off borderline starvation rations of the cheapest possible crap once a month. You'd rather eat prison food.

3. There is a massive social stigma about this. You don't want to be seen there or have anybody know you use it. And all it takes is one person seeing you there for word to get out. The rumor that you are having "money problems" is enough to ruin jobs and friendships. You'd rather tell people you have herpes and bang your dog.

So by a mix of means testing, lovely food, and social shaming middle class people and rich people either can't get free food or don't do it. You have to be willing to endure total shame, eat crap, and either have a slip from social services or someone who personally knows you and gives you food to get free food.

The situation is nothing like "free government rations provided for the community, come and get them".

1. Again, no you don't here. They're entirely nongovernmental and you don't need a referral to use them.

2. The food is basic, but it's donated by people who buy it from supermarkets, and it is often distributed as you would generally buy your own groceries. They prefer longer lasting food for ease of storage but it is exactly the same food that most people live day to day on. You won't get caviar but you'll get a perfectly good set of groceries out of it if you go.

3. On this point you may be right. I don't know, I'm not middle class enough to know how their social niceties function. However I would suggest that if this is the case then it more than makes up for the complete absence of the previous two. If people have a stick up their rear end about bootstrapping their way through life and don't want to take anything for free if they can avoid it, OK. That's fine. Long may you not take things you don't need. Now let's throw the lovely food only after a song and dance bullshit out the window and rely on perfectly functional fear of judgement to police our free food services.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

wateroverfire posted:

edit: nvm.

*I lost an argument and must use parting shots, you nerds*

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

OwlFancier posted:

1. Again, no you don't here. They're entirely nongovernmental and you don't need a referral to use them.

This is how it is in most places... Oklahoma spends nothing on food banks, and they certainly aren't helping the private ones identify who is and isn't working. Food banks that deny people usually do so because they have narrowed their targets. ("Only women" "only families" etc.) A food bank that serves the general public isn't going to turn away a starving person because they can't furnish a paystub and a utility bill. They are not going to stand in the way of a homeless person eating because they couldn't get a note from their social worker.

Reality does not fit wateroverfire's (or most libertarian's) narrative so he is just going to willfully deny it

quote:

2. The food is basic, but it's donated by people who buy it from supermarkets, and it is often distributed as you would generally buy your own groceries. They prefer longer lasting food for ease of storage but it is exactly the same food that most people live day to day on. You won't get caviar but you'll get a perfectly good set of groceries out of it if you go.

Just to bootstrap this comment to make a point, IMO this is why wateroverfire's "everyone will just take the free poo poo!" argument does not hold any water at all. Not everybody likes white rice and pinto beans. The post office isn't going to give me free basmati and chickpeas. If I can afford better I will buy my own goddamn staples like I do already. (and so will most people, for that matter)

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 24, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Means-testing is not as bad of a waste of money as other measures used to make the provided service more degrading than conditions of poverty already are, but it is still a waste of money, and still annoys me, as a taxpayer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I said it in the other thread but there is nothing stopping you from going down to the nearest public washroom or water fountain and filling up a few 10 gallon jugs instead of paying your water bill. Unlimited supply does not create a matching demand.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Doc Hawkins posted:

Means-testing is not as bad of a waste of money as other measures used ensure the provided service is as degrading as possible, but it is still a waste of money, and still annoys me, as a taxpayer.

It really feels like a situation of "Let's spend the money we would spend feeding a dozen or more people to stop each individual case of fraud"

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 24, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Where is this true? These are all very bad ideas. My local food bank does nothing of the sort:
http://www.northwestharvest.org/cherry-street-food-bank
"Proof of address, income or need is never required. Clients are asked only for:
• last name
• total number of people in the family
• number of family members who are infants, children, adults or seniors"
They do have days devoted to family needs though.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

OwlFancier posted:

I said it in the other thread but there is nothing stopping you from going down to the nearest public washroom or water fountain and filling up a few 10 gallon jugs instead of paying your water bill. Unlimited supply does not create a matching demand.

For people who live out in the suburbs there is, the gas costs enough that the water is a wash. Counter point, my office has unlimited tea and coffee, thus the majority of people do not go to Starbucks. Furthermore there is often left over food from various meetings, if people can grab the leftover food rather than going to the cafeteria or out for lunch they will.

People will take something for free if they can, it doesn't suck, and there is no stigma attached to it.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Sounds like your workplace needs a department devoted to making sure no one "abuses" the free leftovers.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

For people who live out in the suburbs there is, the gas costs enough that the water is a wash. Counter point, my office has unlimited tea and coffee, thus the majority of people do not go to Starbucks. Furthermore there is often left over food from various meetings, if people can grab the leftover food rather than going to the cafeteria or out for lunch they will.

People will take something for free if they can, it doesn't suck, and there is no stigma attached to it.

did you seriously just compare free dry rice and beans for poor people to the tex-mex catering your boss orders in for conference calls?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does the first person generally take all of the tea and coffee and all of the leftover food and hoard it in their houses so that nobody else can have any?

Or do they just take what they are going to use?

Even if we assume that everyone will go to the food distro joint and get their free 10lb sacks of rice, who cares? The US could afford to give everyone enough rice to build a fort out with ease if it wanted to.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

spoon0042 posted:

Sounds like your workplace needs a department devoted to making sure no one "abuses" the free leftovers.

We do. Office services will yank it as fast as possible and pull it back to the kitchen, people have been fired for taking food before clients left. Still happens! And when office services takes it back to the kitchen they eat it, which is why having an in with office services is good, you don't have to pay for lunch or breakfast ever again on work days. And if you stay later on days with evening meetings, you can sneak home a whole weeks worth of food if there was a big one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Counter point, my office has unlimited tea and coffee, thus the majority of people do not go to Starbucks. Furthermore there is often left over food from various meetings, if people can grab the leftover food rather than going to the cafeteria or out for lunch they will.
I'd take lovely coffee over a 20 minute walk to Starbucks if I was lazy or didn't want to break up my workflow. Others love the chance to get out and get some air, with the excuse that they're getting food or drinks.
Alternately, your coworkers are ensuring that the supply of food is put to use instead of being left out to rot. Whether it's an optimal application is another question (because gently caress Tim from accounting for grabbing 3 turkey bacon sandwiches the greedy gently caress).

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Does the first person generally take all of the tea and coffee and all of the leftover food and hoard it in their houses so that nobody else can have any?

Or do they just take what they are going to use?

Even if we assume that everyone will go to the food distro joint and get their free 10lb sacks of rice, who cares? The US could afford to give everyone enough rice to build a fort out with ease if it wanted to.

There's unlimited tea and coffee. As for the food, the first people generally take all the good stuff and if you aren't there right off the bat there will be nothing left worth eating or you risk getting caught. Just means people watch it like a hawk when it's out and forces the clean up crews to try and get there asap.

I'm not against free food for the public. I'd be all for free basic food stuffs sent to everyone. However I'm sure if people see "free food stuff that doesn't suck, no shame here, come get it" a lot of people will take advantage of it. I'd be all for the post office giving out rice, beans, chicken, veggies, and cheese via delivery though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently the US could afford to buy every single man woman and child in the US a 10lb sack of rice from wal-mart every week for about 10% of its total current welfare budget.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently the US could afford to buy every single man woman and child in the US a 10lb sack of rice from wal-mart every week for about 10% of its total current welfare budget.

WalMart sells rice?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It lists it online, I dunno, I've never been in one. ASDA sells all kinds of rice.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Why would any office or business be obligated to support the economy of the nearest Starbucks? Oh poo poo I bring my own coffee and lunch, I didn't realize I was ruining the free market.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bast Relief posted:

Why would any office or business be obligated to support the economy of the nearest Starbucks? Oh poo poo I bring my own coffee and lunch, I didn't realize I was ruining the free market.

People unironically argue that food banks undermine the commercial interests of grocery stores.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

People unironically argue that food banks undermine the commercial interests of grocery stores.

Really? Who did that?, so I can point and laugh at whoever it is.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Subjunctive posted:

I can see how one might come to this conclusion, though I obviously don't see it this way. Have any studies been done on this, I wonder. I just feel like, for me, I'm going to keep spending a premium on lovingly harvested organic beans at the food co-op because I buy into that bs apparently, rather than get free post office beans. I'm just saying, free market being the free market, corporations will find ways to profit from food even if food is available for free. Whole foods managed to find a way into my wallet.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
bring back government cheese

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheImmigrant posted:

WalMart sells rice?

uh

Yes? Why wouldn't they????

OwlFancier posted:

It lists it online, I dunno, I've never been in one. ASDA sells all kinds of rice.

Yeah I have personally bought a 25 pound bag of rice from wal-mart before so I don't know what they're talking about

And if you consider Sam's club to be wal-mart (I kind of do) it's one of the best places to buy rice

Bast Relief posted:

I can see how one might come to this conclusion, though I obviously don't see it this way. Have any studies been done on this, I wonder. I just feel like, for me, I'm going to keep spending a premium on lovingly harvested organic beans at the food co-op because I buy into that bs apparently, rather than get free post office beans. I'm just saying, free market being the free market, corporations will find ways to profit from food even if food is available for free. Whole foods managed to find a way into my wallet.

Yeah I have cooked plain white rice about a dozen times in the last five years and every single one of those times was because we were in severe financial straits and couldn't afford to buy our normal rice (Jasmine or Basmati)

We probably eat rice 3-4 nights a week in my house. We wouldn't take free plain white rice unless we were really, really broke.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 24, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Handing out free food to anyone who wants it in the US would probably create an incredible amount of food waste, if food waste is something that really bothers you. The reason why there is food waste in the first place is because food is pretty cheap.

All of the whining about food waste earlier reminded me of conservatives spouting vague platitudes about government inefficiency--just useless commentary. We even had one person complain about how food was too expensive and then in the same breath complain about how modern farming practices and food processing, which are responsible for food prices being lower now than ever, are bad.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

silence_kit posted:

Handing out free food to anyone who wants it in the US would probably create an incredible amount of food waste, if food waste is something that really bothers you. The reason why there is food waste in the first place is because it is pretty cheap.

All of the whining about food waste earlier reminded me of conservatives spouting vague platitudes about government inefficiency--just useless commentary. We even had one person complain about how food was too expensive and then in the same breath complain about how modern farming practices and food processing, which are responsible for food prices being lower than ever, are bad.

It's pretty hard to waste dry goods like rice and beans. You cook what you need as you need it and the rest is good to sit on the shelf pretty much forever. This isn't like fresh produce or meat.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Bast Relief posted:

You'd probably see the value of the types of foods that are free fall to near nothing. Prices for stuff that isn't free would go up and there'd be a lot of advertising as to how that stuff is better, and why you should buy a premium version of free stuff because you aren't dirty riff raff. See bottled water.

The ideal solution to "people need food, people need shelter" is just a universal basic income. Even that would have disruptions though.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
^ Yeah okay, but what would really happen? I'm still buying my fancy locally grown in recycled manure beans for $$$. However, I'll agree to GMI for sure.

Hey, at least it's less bad if food is wasted yet no one is going hungry?

Bast Relief fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 24, 2016

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

The techbros are coming from inside the forums

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Of course we have techbros defending themselves here. Who else has time to gently caress around on the internet while adding very little value to the world?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm confused why is redistribution bad again? I am very confused. It seems like being a decent human being that helps others is kind of work in and of itsel-

silence_kit posted:

Handing out free food to anyone who wants it in the US would probably create an incredible amount of food waste, if food waste is something that really bothers you. The reason why there is food waste in the first place is because food is pretty cheap.

Now I am very confused, does the average consumer (or 72 consumers if you wanna compare at scale of average full-time employee) throw out more food than a supermarket on the daily?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Bast Relief posted:

^ Yeah okay, but what would really happen? I'm still buying my fancy locally grown in recycled manure beans for $$$. However, I'll agree to GMI for sure.

Hey, at least it's less bad if food is wasted yet no one is going hungry?

I mean, this is all hypothetical but...

I make enough I can buy food from the fancy store. There's (in walking distance from my apartment) a Dean and Deluca, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Target, and Safeway. Short drive takes me to fancy pants butchers, seafood, and an hmart and a Harris Teeter.

Generally I buy the "basic crap" from Safeway, and go to the other places for specific higher end stuff because the food at Safeway is bad. If I had a basic government supply of beans, chicken, rice, frozen veggies, milk, cheese, potatoes, onions, flour that would mean I cease to buy anything at all from Safeway. I'd still buy the same higher end stuff from the higher end stores though, and the money saved would either go to fun stuff. On the other hand if I was given a "credit card that only works for food" or $$$$ basic income, I'd still shop at Safeway.

I think universal income, or universal food stamps, are both workable solutions. It doesn't really disrupt the grocery market and if everyone has it the stigma of it goes away. I don't think it's politically possible, but it's the most viable solution out there.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
How does Safeway exist anyway? Their produce is always half spoiled in my experience and they never have enough checkers. I go there for booze every once in awhile and always regret it. When I was hard up I put up with them until I discover Grocery Outlet.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hey idiot you didn't answer my question

Why do you want people to suffer?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I'm confused why is redistribution bad again? I am very confused. It seems like being a decent human being that helps others is kind of work in and of itsel-

Not saying it's bad, but the 50% of people with more than the median oppose it because everyone wants to keep their own poo poo. I'm sure you do too. There are legitimate reasons to confiscate the 40-odd% of my income that I pay, but I'm skeptical.

Now give me all your poo poo, or else you're a shitlord.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Bast Relief posted:

How does Safeway exist anyway? Their produce is always half spoiled in my experience and they never have enough checkers. I go there for booze every once in awhile and always regret it. When I was hard up I put up with them until I discover Grocery Outlet.

For generic stuff (cereal, beans, rice, milk) this stuff doesn't matter. I go there and buy giant blocks of cheese, butter, milk, cereal, beans, blah blah. Then I roll up the street the next day and buy all my produce at whole foods.

They exist here for people who can't afford whole paycheck and people who don't care if their beans are Goya rather than organic free range.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Bast Relief posted:

Some Safeways are better than others and a few of their store brand products are okay, also in areas with lots of Latinos they have good "ethnic" sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I have patronized a variety of Safeways and frequently pee at the one in Sunol. I tried to buy a bag of chips there once and was unsuccessful. Thank you for listening.

• Locked thread