Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

wateroverfire posted:

Because we have a collective societal interest in transitioning people off of assistance as quickly as possible

Are you just taking this as a given? Because if your whole position is predicated on this being true, then I think you're going to need to expand on and defend your point a little bit here.

To put it another way, there's no reason to think that "getting people off of assistance" is socially useful all by itself. I'd strongly argue that moving someone from welfare to working at Wal-Mart because they desperately want to escape the stigma is actually a lot worse than having that person stay on assistance and, for example, go back to school or stay at home to raise their kids. The goal should always be to produce the best possible outcomes for people, not to provide handouts to low-end employers looking for cheap and desperate labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

wateroverfire posted:

Because we have a collective societal interest in transitioning people off of assistance as quickly as possible, when it is at all possible, and that is one element that aids in the transition.

No we don't. Unless you plan to start navigating your way to work without using roads.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

No we don't. Unless you plan to start navigating your way to work without using roads.

Roads are productive. Nonproductive people are, well, not productive.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
What the hell is productivity anyway?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheImmigrant posted:

Well, yes, that is tautologically true. However people eating free food are not unproductive! People can work and do that, they can also raise children or go to school or simply be a part of their community, everything you do which leads to someone else being happier is productive, it does not have to be profitable. Going to visit your granny because she doesn't see people much is productive, but good luck finding a way to get paid for it.

The idea of profitable == productive is really rather silly.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TheImmigrant posted:

Nonproductive people are, well, not productive.

This isn't really true in the way you're suggesting. The primary benefit that most low income employees provide to society is that they're so poor that near 100% of their income has to be pumped back into the economy. Hand some money to poor people and they'll still be "productive" because they'll have no choice but to spend it.

OwlFancier posted:

Going to visit your granny because she doesn't see people much is productive, but good luck finding a way to get paid for it.

AARP has actually been running commercials around here in support of respite care for family caregivers using the argument that people who care for their elderly parents are saving taxpayers money by reducing the burden on medicare. People do lots of socially beneficial, but completely unrewarded poo poo as part of their daily lives, while plenty of low wage jobs are literally nothing more than a drain on the employee's time and ability to do better things.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I agree, but I'm not sure why you felt the need to make this point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheImmigrant posted:

I agree, but I'm not sure why you felt the need to make this point.

Because if you already believe it then what you said makes no sense.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

OwlFancier posted:

Well, yes, that is tautologically true. However people eating free food are not unproductive! People can work and do that, they can also raise children or go to school or simply be a part of their community, everything you do which leads to someone else being happier is productive, it does not have to be profitable. Going to visit your granny because she doesn't see people much is productive, but good luck finding a way to get paid for it.

We're going to have to find a way to remove income for productivity with all the jobs that are going to be taken over by computers.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I said it in the other thread but there is nothing stopping you from going down to the nearest public washroom or water fountain and filling up a few 10 gallon jugs instead of paying your water bill. Unlimited supply does not create a matching demand.

The average Australian uses 56 gallons of water per day and that's in extreme conservation mode. Even if you account for water loss and other included municipal use you're still likely using more than 30 for drinking, cleaning, and washing, per person every day. Maybe you are a stereotype of the unwashed dreadlocks whitey who rubs patchouli on themselves to hide the smell of feces but the average person cannot actually get enough water using public drinking fountains. What you are describing wrt water would be a significant unpredictable distortion to society.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then some of the water whatever who gives a poo poo. My point is it's free but you don't go out of your way to get it because something being freely supplied doesn't give it infinite value.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Then some of the water whatever who gives a poo poo. My point is it's free but you don't go out of your way to get it because something being freely supplied doesn't give it infinite value.

You clearly give a poo poo because you posted it repeatedly like it was some grand point. Further it's still a terrible analogy because the logistics of acquiring and transporting something that is difficult to move and has, in a sense, poor shelf life results in wildly different outcomes than something easy to acquire, transport, and store. We pay for the delivery of water in part because the delivery itself is so burdensome, and therefore even if treated water was free it would still retain value in transport. A free 10 lb sack of beans or rice does not have this issue to nearly the same extent, and for myself and the thousands of other people who work in close walking distance to a post office, why wouldn't I or they take a monthly stroll to get all the rice I need?

And I have witnessed water theft from people daisy chaining hoses together and connecting it to a water tank so that convenience factor is real.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bast Relief posted:

Whatever makes a rich guy richer.

Duh.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Zachack posted:

You clearly give a poo poo because you posted it repeatedly like it was some grand point. Further it's still a terrible analogy because the logistics of acquiring and transporting something that is difficult to move and has, in a sense, poor shelf life results in wildly different outcomes than something easy to acquire, transport, and store. We pay for the delivery of water in part because the delivery itself is so burdensome, and therefore even if treated water was free it would still retain value in transport. A free 10 lb sack of beans or rice does not have this issue to nearly the same extent, and for myself and the thousands of other people who work in close walking distance to a post office, why wouldn't I or they take a monthly stroll to get all the rice I need?

And I have witnessed water theft from people daisy chaining hoses together and connecting it to a water tank so that convenience factor is real.

Post Office is on the way home from work, I walk. I'd totally make a stop once a month to pick up package, and get free basic food stuffs. I'd probably fail, but I'd also give a shot at removing the cost of food from my cost of living completely, outside of eating out at places. That's 300 USD a month I could sock away for retirement or spend on bullshit.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
edit: actually gently caress this

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 25, 2016

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

TheImmigrant posted:

Roads allow free riding.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Bast Relief posted:

They should have taught you this school.

Labor Productivity = Total Output and Total Man-Hours
If = $50,000 / 1,000hr
Labor productivity = $50 / man hour

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

spoon0042 posted:

bring back government cheese

Never left, really, they just distribute it to food charities now instead of directly.

I ate a lot of it growing up. Government peanut butter too. We were rural and poor.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Let's play the fun back of the envelope game:

Rice has about 1.3 kcal per gram. So a metric ton of rice is about 1.3 million calories, which will feed two people for a year. Three hundred million people in the US means we'd need about 150 million tonnes of rice to meet the caloric needs of the entire US population.

Rice runs around $300/ton in bulk, so that works out to like $45 billion to feed everyone in the US rice for a year. That's pretty much the absolute max the program of "you get rice if you come to the post office" could cost. I mean if people are coming there and loading pallets of the free rice on their trucks so they can toss it in a furnace i guess you might have a problem. That seems to be about as likely to happen as someone running a hose from a public restroom tap to their tanker truck they use to steal water though.

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 25, 2016

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If = $50,000 / 1,000hr

I was asking more existentially.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If = $50,000 / 1,000hr

Easy to measure the farther out you focus. Once you get even slightly past the firm level, it's a black box.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lyesh posted:

Let's play the fun back of the envelope game:

Rice has about 1.3 kcal per gram. So a metric ton of rice is about 1.3 million calories, which will feed two people for a year. Three hundred million people in the US means we'd need about 150 million tonnes of rice to meet the caloric needs of the entire US population.

Rice runs around $300/ton in bulk, so that works out to like $45 billion to feed everyone in the US rice for a year. That's pretty much the absolute max the program of "you get rice if you come to the post office" could cost. I mean if people are coming there and loading pallets of the free rice on their trucks so they can toss it in a furnace i guess you might have a problem. That seems to be about as likely to happen as someone running a hose from a public restroom tap to their tanker truck they use to steal water though.
According to ancient Japanese wisdom (no really) about 330 pounds of rice is enough to feed one person for one year. Round that up to 400 and now a ton of rice feeds FIVE people for a year, and that's before you get the beans involved!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nessus posted:

and that's before you get the beans involved!
Within a year you'll have the GOP lamenting the extravagance of people buying end-cut bacon bits using food stamps to flavor their Government Beans.

Within 5, the extravagance of beans themselves will earn ire.

Soon after, the GOP becomes a regional rump party as they alienate Latin Americans with a pinto bean tax.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Nessus posted:

According to ancient Japanese wisdom (no really) about 330 pounds of rice is enough to feed one person for one year. Round that up to 400 and now a ton of rice feeds FIVE people for a year, and that's before you get the beans involved!

I learned that from reading Shogun. Thanks James Clavell! :japan:

menino fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 26, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah that's what a koku is isn't it? Enough rice to feed a peasant for one year?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Unfortunately the ancient Japanese lacked the foresight to predict an obesity epidemic.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Noctone posted:

Unfortunately the ancient Japanese lacked the foresight to predict an obesity epidemic.

this.

the ancient Nipponese never accounted for fatty fat gently caress americunts

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FilthyImp posted:

Within a year you'll have the GOP lamenting the extravagance of people buying end-cut bacon bits using food stamps to flavor their Government Beans.

Within 5, the extravagance of beans themselves will earn ire.

Soon after, the GOP becomes a regional rump party as they alienate Latin Americans with a pinto bean tax.
Future generations call this "the Musical Fruit Realignment."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah that's what a koku is isn't it? Enough rice to feed a peasant for one year?

Yeah, it averages out to ~1500 calories a day. Not too shabby, really, as far as subsistence staples go. Figure that plus whatever you can come up with in the way of local veggies, dairy, and small game/fish and you definitely won't starve to death quickly.

Hell, at $9 (retail) per 20lbs, one koku is only $148. That's a drat steal, as far as things we could spend welfare dollars on.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Question: Is this a techbro?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bast Relief posted:

That's a redditor/YouTuber with MRA inclinations.

You'll notice the lack of Sick Gainz on his hatted physique.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Bast Relief posted:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I think you could have an entire thread of just terrible bay area tech company billboards/posters/etc.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
What have you guys done to my thread :ohdear:
Here's a hot new tech company idea.
https://medium.com/@tarintowers/on-selling-out-how-to-negotiate-a-tenant-buyout-in-san-francisco-7ec6c4a605db#.gyfhjf7x3

quote:

The site’s FAQ reveals the company’s motive: ending rent control through “increased liquidity [taking] pressure out of the system.”

quote:

Our apartment now rents for $10,000 a month to an agency that subleases 10 bunkbeds per unit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Just stack people in pyramids like cannonballs. Spray them occasionally with soapy water. Rotate every two weeks to prevent the accumulation of mold.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Buying out leases seems like a pretty good idea. The kind of short-sighted mindset that would accept a lowball buyout are exactly the kind of people who bring property values down.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/frailgesture/status/719617406675525632

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Jesus Christ you can't make this up.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

List of smartphones a homeless person can easily afford:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

-Troika- posted:

List of smartphones a homeless person can easily afford:

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-homeless-people-have-smartphones

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/oct/01/smartphones-are-lifeline-for-homeless-people

Not to excuse the heinous tweet but it's more complicated than that.

• Locked thread