Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Well then. :smith:

In one of my runs my character's nephew died from a congenital heart anomaly shortly after being born. I've also seen screencaps of player characters immediately dying of chromosome abnormalities or even asphyxiation during childbirth, but considering the number of Real Lives photoshops I'm a little skeptical of how legit they were.

This is too drat heavy to start the page with regardless, have another goiter edit I saw:

If we manage to stay healthy enough to not immediately keel over in the next life, I say we focus on athletics and other physical traits. If we're lucky maybe we can be a professional sports player, and then we can visit as many dictators as we want! :sparkles:

Going off on a totally different topic, my favorite life I played in the demo was when I started as a boy in Nigeria, Jero Tombiri. Before my first birthday my mother died of kidney disease, leaving the household with just me, my ill father (already dying of STIs and parasites), and my brother a year older than me. Oh, and we were all near-starvation and spending more money on basic subsistence and makeshift housing than dad's scavenging income could afford. As the family slipped into debt over the next few years, dad decided a shelter was more important than a meal, and the family went into full starvation mode. It looked like I was going to die before I could even get control of the budget.

Desperate to fix this, I tried to steal a bike and sell it for money, but I got caught and just put the family deeper in debt. At 13, Jero's father died from an infection, and I was suddenly now head of my own household, with my brother shunted out of the family screen for some reason; it was the last time I ever heard from him, and he died three years later from starvation. I was wasting and stunted, I had inherited my father's debt, and I had to give up any dream of living in a home to be able to afford food on a student income. Somehow I managed to get through trade school without dying, and I got a job as a printer. Two years into it, I got a chance to steal again and got away with it, using the money to finally pay off the debts. And I even got a pay raise.

Life turned around after that thanks to investments and a job as a police inspector; despite all my thieving in early life, after I stopped starving to death I made an honest living. Well, semi-honest, as I actually glitched up something and ended up exploiting it to duplicate money. I had about half a dozen children, though unfortunately three of them died at 4, 20, and 30 respectively to illnesses (though I think 20 might have been in an accident). Jero died at age 73 with his surviving children all thriving, though one daughter still lived with him at 36 and had never married or held a job. Maybe she just wanted to take care of her parents in their old age. Or maybe she just liked the fact that I owned three cars. :v:

What I'm trying to say is, I'm hoping one of our lives ends up managing the budget all alone at the wise old age of eight.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014
Late eulogy for Rasuna:

Rasuna lived and fought for the freedom of the Indonesian people. We have to remember her noble selflessness, and keep fighting until the day the people of Indonesia stand united, living in perfect harmony and peace.

Also, poor baby Abdul, who never got to live out his full potential as a blind beggar. Rip.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MiracleFlare posted:

Well then. :smith:

In one of my runs my character's nephew died from a congenital heart anomaly shortly after being born. I've also seen screencaps of player characters immediately dying of chromosome abnormalities or even asphyxiation during childbirth, but considering the number of Real Lives photoshops I'm a little skeptical of how legit they were.

This is too drat heavy to start the page with regardless, have another goiter edit I saw:

If we manage to stay healthy enough to not immediately keel over in the next life, I say we focus on athletics and other physical traits. If we're lucky maybe we can be a professional sports player, and then we can visit as many dictators as we want! :sparkles:

Going off on a totally different topic, my favorite life I played in the demo was when I started as a boy in Nigeria, Jero Tombiri. Before my first birthday my mother died of kidney disease, leaving the household with just me, my ill father (already dying of STIs and parasites), and my brother a year older than me. Oh, and we were all near-starvation and spending more money on basic subsistence and makeshift housing than dad's scavenging income could afford. As the family slipped into debt over the next few years, dad decided a shelter was more important than a meal, and the family went into full starvation mode. It looked like I was going to die before I could even get control of the budget.

Desperate to fix this, I tried to steal a bike and sell it for money, but I got caught and just put the family deeper in debt. At 13, Jero's father died from an infection, and I was suddenly now head of my own household, with my brother shunted out of the family screen for some reason; it was the last time I ever heard from him, and he died three years later from starvation. I was wasting and stunted, I had inherited my father's debt, and I had to give up any dream of living in a home to be able to afford food on a student income. Somehow I managed to get through trade school without dying, and I got a job as a printer. Two years into it, I got a chance to steal again and got away with it, using the money to finally pay off the debts. And I even got a pay raise.

Life turned around after that thanks to investments and a job as a police inspector; despite all my thieving in early life, after I stopped starving to death I made an honest living. Well, semi-honest, as I actually glitched up something and ended up exploiting it to duplicate money. I had about half a dozen children, though unfortunately three of them died at 4, 20, and 30 respectively to illnesses (though I think 20 might have been in an accident). Jero died at age 73 with his surviving children all thriving, though one daughter still lived with him at 36 and had never married or held a job. Maybe she just wanted to take care of her parents in their old age. Or maybe she just liked the fact that I owned three cars. :v:

What I'm trying to say is, I'm hoping one of our lives ends up managing the budget all alone at the wise old age of eight.

Confirmed: The bootstraps theory works!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The only thing worse than being born in Chittagong is dying there. So long, little Abdul.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

:rip: Abdul, Born in Chittagong, now he's Chittagone

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Farewell Abdul, you didn't die since you never lived.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

MiracleFlare posted:

I've had one die immediately of asphyxiation during childbirth.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
So it looks like we're pretty set on a North Korea run!

Let's talk more about the details of our next life:

We'll need to decide the gender, name, home, and most importantly the attributes.

Our gender will affect what jobs are available to us, as well as our pay. The city we're born in is just fluff (correct me if I'm wrong!), but whether we live in an urban or rural area will have an impact on our parent's jobs. And yes, we totally have the opportunity to name our character "Wang Young-Bum".

Give me your suggestions!

As for stats:

Option A) Suggest a statline for our next life, the suggestion with the most votes goes.

Option B) I'll randomise the starting attributes using a RNG of some kind.

Work is still hectic and I'll probably have to work this weekend as well, so I hope this keeps you busy until I have some spare time again!

Covski fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 29, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Let's play on hard mode and be female and rural. Also, option b for stats.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B
Male/Urban
Wang Young-Bum

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

hopeandjoy posted:

Let's play on hard mode and be female and rural. Also, option b for stats.

This

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

HiHo ChiRho posted:

B
Male/Urban
Wang Young-Bum

This, except distribute like 1000 points between the stats as you wish. Like a point buy thing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Up to the LPer, but the name must be Wang Young-Bum.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

HiHo ChiRho posted:

B
Male/Urban
Wang Young-Bum

This.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

HiHo ChiRho posted:

B
Male/Urban
Wang Young-Bum

This

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

HiHo ChiRho posted:

B
Male/Urban
Wang Young-Bum

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This, except distribute like 1000 points between the stats as you wish. Like a point buy thing.

This, except distribute 800 points. Don't want to be overpowered.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

I don't care as long as we're called Wang Young-Bum.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

HiHo ChiRho posted:

B
Male/Urban
Wang Young-Bum

Max out health, endurance, strength, athleticism, and intelligence, 50 happiness, 10 everything else.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

HiHo ChiRho posted:

B
Male/Urban
Wang Young-Bum

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

HiHo ChiRho posted:

B
Male/Urban
Wang Young-Bum

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Let's be honest here, folks, do you really think that some random dude in North Korea is going to have good stats?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Is Juche a stat? we should max that out as much as possible.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

songbun could be a stat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songbun
basically a communist caste system - although apparently along with everything else in north korean society it's eroded since the end of the cold war

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I think he (or she) should be 99 (or 100 if it can go that high) appearance, but then everything else is just randomized.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Let's be honest here, folks, do you really think that some random dude in North Korea is going to have good stats?

We aren't going to be random.

We are... the chosen one.

Born of parents in the rural country we are seen as the pride of the village. The child of prophecy. The one who will lead the North Korean people to their rightful place as rulers of the world.

Max Out All Stats

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Max All Stats so we can be murdered as a threat to the government.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013

paragon1 posted:

This

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

paragon1 posted:

Some real Harrison Bergeron poo poo right there.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

So it seems we're going for Wang Young-Bum, urban/male.

I think I'll probably compromise between the suggestions by generation a a series of random number, and choosing which numbers go for which attribute. I'm thinking about going for as high intelligence and appearance as possible, to see just how successful a life we can possibly have in North Korea!

Next run will commence in the beginning of next week, presuming I survive this weekend's movie shoot.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I kind of want a U.S run to see where we end up and what facts it gives us.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I'm sure will get to see it. USA is actually one of the more likely countries to be born into, so we might even get to it in a random run if we're lucky!

Otherwise, we might have to do a custom Maximum Goon-run in the U.S at some point.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Covski posted:

Otherwise, we might have to do a custom Maximum Goon-run in the U.S at some point.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Well you wouldn't want your goiter to get cold, would you?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The life of Wang Young-Bum, part one

Age 0

A baby boy has the good fortune of being born in the capitol of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the most prosperous country on the planet.

Young-Bum's father has some unfortunate anti-social tendencies, but his mother is a loyal and hard-working party member.

Since birth, Young-Bum shows a healthily optimistic attitude as well as above-average intelligence! His only real deficiencies are in areas which are less than vital to a healthy and productive life in the Republic. Surely he will go on to do great things!

His family is currently on the waiting list to receive a first-rate apartment, and although access to food is somewhat limited (due to actions of jealous imperialistic foreign powers and no fault of the Party), but the State Planning Committee has promised that this will be resolved in short order.

Law-abiding citizens of the DPRK enjoy a high degree of social and political freedoms, and the social services are ranked among the best in the world!

(yes, the game actually gives the government social services of North Korea the highest possible score)

Literacy is at an all time high, and citizens enjoy a high degree of economic equality! There is a slight shortage of motor vehicles, but this too is promised to be resolved over the course of the current five year plan.

Just look at that excellent access to clean water and sanitation in urban areas!

Age 1

Young-Bum's mother has developed a peptic ulcer. Nothing that the excellent hospitals of P'yongyang can't deal with!

Of course, small medical problems doesn't stop her from working hard for the common good.

Age 2

Young-Bum is a baby with a healthy appetite, eating everything he can get his little hands on :3:

It seems another Arduous March is starting, but quick response by the Party keeps Young-Bum's family eating well.

Age 3

The way this particular blurb is written makes it seem like it applies more to South Korea, but maybe the cuisines are similar.

Age 4

Some of Young-Bum's earliest memories are of visits to the beautiful mountains on the outskirts of the city with his family.

Age 5

From an early age, he learns a lot about the glorious history of his country.

Age 6

Finally, Young-Bum is old enough to attend the excellent public schools of the capitol!

Age 7

Young-Bum is a strong and healthy child, although his parents are not doing as well. His drunkard of a father is to blame, what with the stress he's putting Young-Bum's poor mother under.

His family is eating much better now, and they have moved into a quite luxurious apartment with a great view!

Next year, he will be old enough to pick his leisure activities himself!

What should he focus on? As usual, suggest up to five activities.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Religious activities, art, music, play and fashion. Everything that comes to mind for an ideal North Korean citizen!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Goiters truly are the neckbeards of the third world.

Did you make this? If so, I really have to get a thread art section of the OP up!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Reading, physical training, volunteering. Quoting the education Wikipedia article, as hosted on the great Kwangmyong, Young-Bum must grow into a "man of knowledge, virtue, and physical fitness".

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 6, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Reading, physical training, volunteering. Quoting the education Wikipedia article, as hosted on the great Kwangmyong, Young-Bum must grow into a "man of knowledge, virtue, and physical fitness".

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

This. Young-bum needs to be strong and smart if he's gonna embody the Juche ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Blaze Dragon posted:

• Locked thread