Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Sports/ physical training/ outdoor activity
One day he will play in the the largest stadium of the world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
The Wang parents are in terrible health for the age of 35 and will likely both die before Young-Bum is fully grown. I don't know if that affects anyone's decision at this point.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Reading, physical training, volunteering. Quoting the education Wikipedia article, as hosted on the great Kwangmyong, Young-Bum must grow into a "man of knowledge, virtue, and physical fitness".

Let's Juche it up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Wang Se-Hong's alcoholism isn't his fault. Just too much gin and Juche.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Covski posted:

The way this particular blurb is written makes it seem like it applies more to South Korea, but maybe the cuisines are similar.

As far as I know, the cuisines of North and South Korea are essentially identical in their bases. They're distinguished by the levels of scarcity and foreign contact, with North Korea obviously having much less food to go around, less industrialized processed food manufacturing, and much less foreign cuisine influence.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Covski posted:

Did you make this? If so, I really have to get a thread art section of the OP up!

Sure did!

A thread fanart section would be cool.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Reading, physical training, volunteering. Quoting the education Wikipedia article, as hosted on the great Kwangmyong, Young-Bum must grow into a "man of knowledge, virtue, and physical fitness".

Also this. Maximum Juche! :getin:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So, does the game just display the claimed statistics of terrible totalitarian regimes, like literacy and welfare, etc, while keeping a second set of books under the hood? That would be great.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
The life of Wang Young-Bum, part two

Age 8

MAXIMUM JUCHE

The weather, much like everything else about living in North Korea, is nice.

Age 9

Young-Bums father, Se-Hong, finally decides to give up on the bottle. This is not because of a shortage of distilled beverages, but rather because of the wholesome spirit of the people and excellent health care services in the Democratic People's Republic.

Age 10

Even Young-Bum's mother is feeling better, now that the stress and burden of her husband's low moral character has been lifted from her shoulders.

Truly, the future is looking bright!

Age 11

oh :smith:

Welp. Just a short update for now, while I get back into the swing of this LPing thing.

Meanwhile, discuss whether Young-Bum should give up his physical training activities, or focus on becoming North Korea's best Paralympic athlete!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

We will win the gold, for Glorious Leader :ssj:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Quotations from Chairman Mao posted:

Be resolute, fear no sacrifice and surmount every difficulty to win victory.

Go for the gold!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Uh excuse me this isn't mere China, this is the Democratic People's Republic of True Korea, and Glorious Leader's official policy is, and I quote, "Jocks are just a bunch of dumb jerks, their wasteful muscles are just evidence of their vanity and Western decadence."
:goonsay:

Be like Glorious Leader, and neglect all physical activity except occasionally shooting a few hoops.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I guess Wang is Professor X on juche now.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Our injury is not only an insult to ourselves, it is a blight on the face of Glorious Leader and juche itself.

Do whatever it takes to kill ourself and remove this stain from Korea.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
We're the best around, nothin's gonna ever keep us down

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Become the hero we always wanted to be.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, this is back! Praise the Great Leader!

And needless to say, the people of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea do not give up. Our Great Leader would not give up, not in the face of western capitalist pigs, and definitely not in the face of such weak injuries. We will persevere in the spirit of Juche.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I wonder how well the game models being disabled in North Korea? :ohdear:

Fake it 'til we make it. I'm not paralyzed, I just walk on my hands for the glory of the juche ideal.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The life of Wang Young-Bum, part three

Young-Bum is undeterred, not for a moment considering allowing his injuries to prevent him from doing his utmost for his country. And besides, surely a broken spine is a mere trifle for advanced North Korean medical technology?

Age 12-14

This is a quiet period in Young-Bum's life, as he does his utmost to improve himself and his mangled body in accordance with the ideals of Juche.

There are rumours of famine, but it must surely be imperialist lies since anyone he knows in P'yongyang is unaffected.

Age 15

Young-Bum of course jumps on the opportunity to improve his mind as well as his body.

Of course, he also redoubles his efforts to fulfil his dream of become an athlete, while not neglecting his duties towards the state and his community.

One day, rolling his wheelchair home from school he sees the most beautiful girl he has ever seen, and is reminded of his duty to bear children for the Republic. He promptly asks her out.

For some reason, she turns him down. Young-Bum decides that it would be better to focus on other matters for the time being.

Age 16-17

Young-Bum is gaining the reputation as a quiet but hard-working young man, mostly keeping to himself.

At last, he graduates with fine grades.

He is bright enough to know that smoking would be bad for his athletic career, and turns down the offers of his more delinquent peers while making a mental note to keep an eye on them for any further antisocial behaviour.

Age 18

It is finally time for Young-Bum to embark on his life long dream of a career as a paralympic athlete!

oh :smith:

His physical stats have actually been improving quite a bit, and he is decently happy about his life situation.

His health has been deteriorating a bit however. One of his legs has been turning sorta greyish, and sometimes smells pretty bad. His doctor tells him this is completely normal though.

You might also note that despite his family earning almost twice the national average, they are not quite breaking even each month, even with a minimal diet and a single room apartment.

So: With his dreams (temporarily) put on hold, what line of work should Young-Bum pursue for now?

These are the current options:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

So yeah, this LP is back! Expect a more leisurely update pace for the time being though.

I also finally went ahead and put up a section for thread art (as well as random goitre art from the internet because it is hilarious) in the OP, let me know if I've missed anything!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Covski posted:

So: With his dreams (temporarily) put on hold, what line of work should Young-Bum pursue for now?

It is our duty to fight the Capitalist-engineered famine that plagues our glorious nation. Therefore, we must become a food processing worker.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm honestly impressed that his Athletic skill is higher than Artistic and Music despite being, you know, a paraplegic.

Either he's got incredible upper body strength or any artistic efforts he could make actively cause its viewers/listeners to suffer from compulsive vomiting.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was going to say salesperson but honestly that is a very capitalistic work and therefore unfitting for a man of the People's Republic of Korea, and Young-Bum would never become a western imperalistic piece of poo poo like that. Therefore...

Comrade Koba posted:

It is our duty to fight the Capitalist-engineered famine that plagues our glorious nation. Therefore, we must become a food processing worker.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I'm going to say assembler. Being a food processor in North Korea doesn't seem like very stable work, what with the famines and all.

Plus, North Korea's main export is fear, so it would be patriotic if Young-Bum can contribute in some way to the assembly of the shoddy WMD's that North Korea uses to threaten the rest of the world.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
So, he's very smart, he has a very strong conscience, and he has about at most 7 years to live.

No job, protest the corrupt state full-time.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We must use our amazing intelligence in the service of our great nation's tertiary services, and praise the Great Leader in our future job as an office clerk!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Bureaucracy is the lifeblood of the juche ideal! Office clerk

echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014
We are going to strive to be the best office clerk that North Korea has ever seen!

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Comrade Koba posted:

If we can't be on the fake North Korean Wheaties boxes, we can at least make the food that goes in them!

This LP is great, by the way. I've laughed, I've cried, I've developed Goiter. Truly an emotional roller coaster.

I picked up the only version I could find, a trial version of the original 2004 game from the Internet Archive. It's pretty much the same, but the version I have doesn't include that handy button to sort out jobs that are realistic for the character. It's really very annoying having to manually scroll through the dozens of jobs (which can't be sorted by income either), clicking one I think might be good, then having to do that again when it inevitably isn't available for my character.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure the 2007 version counts as abandonware at this point- if anyone has the full version, would they mind uploading it? I love this LP and I really wanna gently caress around with the game, but it's impossible to find, they're seemingly not selling this version, and 2010 looks kinda assy.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm pretty sure the 2007 version counts as abandonware at this point- if anyone has the full version, would they mind uploading it? I love this LP and I really wanna gently caress around with the game, but it's impossible to find, they're seemingly not selling this version, and 2010 looks kinda assy.

When I get paid again I'll see if the guy from the company will still sell me a disk of 2007-version; he agreed to a few years back but I didn't have the money at the time.

• Locked thread