Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Tell the truth because I'm pretending to be the soon-to-be-quashed twinge of conscience in young Yu. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I expected as much: Let's lie our pretty butt off!

The life of Hang Yu, part four

Of course he did. Who wouldn't believe Hang Yu, master of deceit? :devil:

This is an important choice! Here's the thing about trade school: Going there will preclude our going to college later, so it's a bit of a gamble on whether or not our grades will be good enough for a college education. With an intelligence score of 64 we should be good, but there's no telling how it might change in the next few years - and I think the intelligence requirements differ a bit from country to country based on the access to higher education, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, is Yu a cool enough dude to start smoking at the tender age of 15?

drat, Yu is an immoral bastard! :eyepop: And apparently, puberty didn't do our looks any favours :(

Double vote:

Trade school or bet our grades will be good enough for college? (Edit: Or neither, that's a fair choice too I guess.

Smoke, or don't smoke?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Art school College and smoke

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Cool kids go to college where they smoke, get blazed and pick up hot chicks

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

In order to fulfill Yu's dream of becoming a party head, he has to go to college and smoke.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's no way someone like Yu wouldn't smoke until his lungs give up. And of course he is also intelligent enough to go for college.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

College and smoke. If we don't get into college, we can join the Triads.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

How is Yu going to impress mommy if he doesn't go to college? Becoming a doctor or lawyer will give him enough money to fund his smoking habit.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

That was unsurprisingly unanimous!

The life of Hang Yu, part five

Yu is the coolest kid in the village, leaning against walls and smoking cigarettes while wearing counterfeit brand sunglasses paid for by his father's back breaking labour in the mines.

Age 16

Also, food facts! :chef:

Smoking might be bad for you, but not for Yu! He is the picture of health! His father is looking more and more poorly though :ohdear:

Age 17

I hope you appreciate these facts as much as I do!

Oh dear! Will Yu be tempted by... No, never mind. I'm not even going to put this to a vote, of course he's gonna drink his rebellious teenage head off.

This might possibly be sligthly more difficult though? Do we just say no?

Covski fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 19, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
College and Smoke, there's no such thing as smog; especially in China. :v:

EDIT: Drink and do drugs. Let's :regd08:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Drink and do druuuggs because gently caress yu, he's cool.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

2cool4school (but not for college), Hang Yu lives his life like a rock star, drinking and doing drugs every day.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The Party doesn't like drugs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drinking and drugging till the cows come home. Did you really think a guy named "Hang Yu" would be anything good?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

EDIT: Drink and do drugs. Let's :regd08:

"This poo poo" is presumably Hang Yu. :v:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Since we're in rural china we probably need to create our own polluted air, I'm very glad we took up smoking

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Yup, guess that was a forgone conclusion too.

The life of Hang Yu, part six

Doing all the drugs, being cool.

:ohdear: It is a good thing Yu is a loyal Party member!

:toot:

Oh. :confuoot:

And, uh, that bit about being a good Party member?

I have no idea whether or not our family fortune would be enough to buy us out of this mess. (Honestly, I can't remember if I've actually tried that option) Note that our fathers health is marked in yellow. This is usually code for "you're gonna die any day soon." :( On the plus side, our smoking and drinking and drug abuse doesn't seem to have affected our own health a bit.

The variety of chemicals we have subjected our brain to hasn't done much to improve our intelligence, but somehow we are prettier than when we took up smoking three years ago.

Do we report for the draft, ignore the notice, or attempt to buy our way out or apply as a conscientious objector? (That last one is rich, as Yu has LITERALLY NO CONSCIENCE)

If you vote for anything besides reporting for the draft: If push comes to shove, would you rather do service or jailtime?

Covski fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 24, 2016

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Did you really think a guy named "Hang Yu" would be anything good?

Thinking about it, the optimal career for him would be becoming a judge. :v:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, man, I'm loving this game! Here I thought Alter Ego was the poo poo back on the C64, but this is way more educational! :allears: I'm hunting down a copy for myself as we speak.

(You can play a portion of Alter Ego online now for free.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I say report for the draft. Loyalty is the best way to avoid a bullet in the back of the head in China. God only knows we can get more drugs in the military!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yu is a loyal member of the Communist Party. Nonetheless, he's also killing his lungs so I can't see much future for him in the military even if for a short while. Thus, even with his lack of conscience, he should apply as a conscientious objector and hope for the best.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Got the feeling that applying for conscientious objector status as a non-important person is akin to declaring yourself to be a party traitor. Apply for the draft and hope we don't die.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I really want to go for maximum :irony: option, but just report in.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Ignore the draft, going to jail if necessary.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Report in, maybe they can help us with our drug problem.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How will we feed our smack addict in the army? :ohdear:

Ignore the notice

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
Father would be displeased if we didn't. Report for the draft.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Yu is a physical weakling with no moral fiber in the entirety of his being. He seems like exactly the sort of person who'd cynically try to bullshit his way to conscientious objector rather than get shot at.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Report In, because drugs are not hard to find and I've never been arrested in this game for more then a minute.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014
We should just report in, the chinese army seems like fun.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Very fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA5WDVhttu4

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The life of Hang Yu, part seven

Yu reports for the draft as ordered. Time will tell whether or not three years of kung fu exercises and and juggling live explosives will straighten him out.

Having moved away from his family when entering military service, Yu now has full control over his expenses. It is separated into four categories, the first of which being diet. Spending too little on food will have a negative effect on your health, while a more decadent lifestyle improves your happiness but might lead to diabetes or heart disease. Note that food spending is calculated per person in the household. Of course, with Yu being a single man it doesn't matter right now. We currently earn 2320 yuan per month, so the game suggest a lavish diet gorging ourself on delicious army food and heroin. In fact, Yu is eating better than he ever has been in his life!

The accomodations are simple, but practical. Again, I think this mostly affects happiness but may well have a minor effect on minor stats as well.

Charity spending will improve our conscience (for people who care about things like that), and the game will occasionally give you guilt trip events if you don't give anything at all.

Consumer items are another way to improve our happiness (again, it might have minor effects on other stats and events that are not immediately apparent), and it also affects our rate of acquiring cars and radios and telephones and all that jazz.

We are now a single household pretty much breaking even on our soldier's wages of 2320 yuan, roughly 310 dollars in 2007 exchange rates. Our lifestyle hasn't improved our disease resistance any, but we are in excellent health.

Even as a single person on conscript wages, we are earning slightly more than the Chinese average. And it seems than Yu, bastard that he is, brought his family's television set and two radios with him when he moved out :v:

Let's talk about spending! First of all, I'd like your input on how much of our income we should spend for the time being: It's going to cost Yu a lot to afford going through college without being to be able to life off his father.

A) Spend it all! Yu will always find some way to make do later!
B) Save as much as possible while maintaining a decent lifestyle.
C) Live on the edge of poverty: It's just three years, Yu can afford to live lean for a while to ensure success later!

Secondly, how should Yu prioritise between the different expenditures? Rank diet, shelter, charity (lol) and consumer goods in order of importance, and I'll work out a reasonable budget.

Next update will come some time tomorrow: I've been pushing them out a bit to start off, trying to find a pace that works for the LP, so don't be spoiled by the frequent posts please! Later playthroughs will also feature less micromanagement from the thread, once you're acquainted with all the mechanics :)

Covski fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 24, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I got curious and looked it up. In 2007, the yuan was worth about 7.5 yuan per dollar. Our "lavish" food budget is about $64.14 per month.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

B), split somewhat evenly between Diet and Shelter, with some token concessions to Consumer Goods.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

A! The rock star lifestyle is the only fitting for Hung Motherfucking Yu. Expenses up to the LPer so long as nothing is given to charity, because that is not how Hung Yu rolls.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A, our lifestyle needs to grow by at least 6% annually.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Literally zero conscience combined with the prodigious smoking and substance use even at a young age...hrm. Looks like so far this thread has made a young Dick Cheney, except Chinese.

Anyway, it's too late to change now. We're going full Cheney until at least the first DWI.

A, and definitely, never ever ever ever ever give one goddam cent to charity because Yu is better than the poors

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Max out consumer goods, minimize everything else. Sure, we can't really afford conspicuous consumption, but why should we let that stop us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

A Blow it all on drugs and booze!

• Locked thread