Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

B While we have it good right now, we should always look towards the future and marrying a party leader's daughter and we can't do that unless we save face and save Yuan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
A. Yu is a meth addict, he is clearly not one for making good life choices. Plus, we're going to need all that money to fund our drug habit.

Yu's theft of his family TV and radios shows that he is very attached to material goods. Therefore we must max out our consumer spending and never give to charity. Besides, we need poo poo to pawn when we run out of money for drugs!

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

TheMcD posted:

some token concessions to Consumer Goods.
Hahahaha

Poor Yu, never had a chance with goons at the helm

I consider a good run in this "game" to be saving up enough money to illegally immigrate to Europe, Australia, or North America. This has informed my politics accordingly.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

gbuchold posted:

Hahahaha

Poor Yu, never had a chance with goons at the helm

I consider a good run in this "game" to be saving up enough money to illegally immigrate to Europe, Australia, or North America. This has informed my politics accordingly.

What do you mean "never had a chance"? We took a random miner's son from rural China and we're already halfway to turning him into history's greatest monster! He's already completely free of any shred of moral restraint, and he's not even 20! Without Goon intervention, Yu might have told the truth, or settled down with that plain jane villager, or abstained from drugs, or faced any of a number of other terrible outcomes.

Yu's gonna go places. You'll see.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
A. I am not sure if amphetamines count as a consumer good or a part of your diet, so prioritize both.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rarity posted:

A. Yu is a meth addict, he is clearly not one for making good life choices. Plus, we're going to need all that money to fund our drug habit.

Yu's theft of his family TV and radios shows that he is very attached to material goods. Therefore we must max out our consumer spending and never give to charity. Besides, we need poo poo to pawn when we run out of money for drugs!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Covski posted:

A) Spend it all! Yu will always find some way to make do later!
B) Save as much as possible while maintaining a decent lifestyle.
C) Live on the edge of poverty: It's just three years, Yu can afford to live lean for a while to ensure success later!

Secondly, how should Yu prioritise between the different expenditures? Rank diet, shelter, charity (lol) and consumer goods in order of importance, and I'll work out a reasonable budget.

Not sure what category it fits (maybe B?), but my vote is for gourmand diet, simple, one room shelter and enthusiastic shopper. No charity obviously. That comes to 1887, leaving us 433 to put away for the future.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

Xerophyte posted:

A. I am not sure if amphetamines count as a consumer good or a part of your diet, so prioritize both.

Voting this ticket.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

A all the way on the three good categories but lmao if you think Yu gives a gently caress about charity

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
C) because it's morbidly hilarious

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Calling it for blowing Yu's entire income with a focus on consumer goods (mainly drugs and drug paraphernalia), and a compulsive aversion towards charity.

Hirayuki posted:

Oh, man, I'm loving this game! Here I thought Alter Ego was the poo poo back on the C64, but this is way more educational! :allears: I'm hunting down a copy for myself as we speak.

(You can play a portion of Alter Ego online now for free.)

Glad you're enjoying it! :) Man, I used to play the poo poo out of Alter Ego when I was a kid. Someone really should LP that, if it hasn't been done already!

chitoryu12 posted:

I got curious and looked it up. In 2007, the yuan was worth about 7.5 yuan per dollar. Our "lavish" food budget is about $64.14 per month.

Comparing the value of money like that is a bit tricky, since you have to take purchasing power parity into account: $64 will simply buy you more stuff in China than it will in the USA. Going by the 2014 Big Mac Index (which has some issues but is easy to understand and use) prices in China are roughly 41% lower than in the US. so Yu's salary would buy him roughly the equivalent of $108 of USA food. Still not a lot, but a fair bit more than the straight exchange rates would imply. With the main issue of the index being that a Big Mac isn't an optimal good to compare (it is more of a luxury food in some countries, cheaper due to cheap beef in others, etc) it might even come out to slightly more than $108, too.

Next update coming in a few hours or so!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So is there a slight posibility to start this game as the son of some rich investment banker in Zürich?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Air is lava! posted:

So is there a slight posibility to start this game as the son of some rich investment banker in Zürich?

From what I understand, the game gives you a totally random possibility of being any kind of person in the world relative to how common they are. There's not many rich Zurich investment bankers or president's sons in the world, so they're consequently very rare to see compared to poor kids in India or China.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The life of Hang Yu, part eight

The expenditures are left at Lavish diet, Simple housing, Enthusiastic shopping, and not a single fen being spent on those classless poors.

Age 19

:stare: Well, it seems the military was able to straighten even Yu out, albeit just slightly.

Age 20

Haha, NOPE. :smug:

Huh, Yu would lie to his own mother even if he didn't have money riding on it.

:mmmsmug:

Pff, no time for poor girls, even if they are decent looking and rather intelligent.

Yu's father has disgusting parasites living in his bowels. He's 67 at this point, and judging from his poor state when Yu left for the military he probably won't live for much longer.

Age 21

Another obvious choice.

Hang Yu, pathological liar social butterfly.

Really, game? Do you even know who you are asking?

It's a drat shame that all the girls that catch Yu's eye turn out to be way too poor for him.

Called it. Yu's father passes away at age 68 after a thankless life of back breaking labour, his only offspring a total bastard who stole both his radio sets. RIP Hang Xiao-Peng :smith:

Thank you for that fact game, if we didn't know that before now this LP might have been a bit confusing.

Age 22

After three years in the army, Yu is all too happy to leave. They even made him quit drugs, those bastards. :byewhore:

Yu is furious when his application to college is denied. How can they not see his greatness!?

Huh, I was rather sure that our intelligence score of 60 would be good enough. We still have the option to apply later in case we manage to get our intelligence up just a bit, assuming we still want to go that route. I guess we'll have to find Yu a job for the time being.

Currently, our job options are quite limited - there are quite a few factors that limit what jobs we are eligible for: Age, gender and education are the primary ones, but a few careers are also gated behind stat requirements - fashion models, professional athletes and college professors are some notable examples.

Yu is happy to be out of the military, even if it seems he pawned one of his late father's radios off to buy drugs at some point. His wisdom is also remarkably low for his age, for some reason. :iiam:

Yu's lifestyle is taking a toll on his health, and he desperately needs to find a job to afford basic necessities as his savings would barely last him three months at this point.

Let's talk about jobs! Even if the you're qualified for a job there's no guarantee you'll actually get it. Mechanically, there is nothing to stop you from applying for the same positions an infinite number of times until you get it, but for the purposes of this LP I'll limit the number of attempts we'll make to two-three or so.

A triple vote!

1) Suggest up to three of the available jobs for Yu, I'll give preference to the vocations with the most votes when trying to find Yu a job.

2) Yu is getting to be a big fish in a small pond in this village: Should we move to the big city (suggestions on which city welcome) or stay in the village?

3) Are we still planning on putting Yu through college, yes or no?

Covski fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 24, 2016

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Covski posted:

A triple vote!

1) Suggest up to three of the available jobs for Yu, I'll give preference to the vocations with the most votes when trying to find Yu a job.

2) Yu is getting to be a big fish in a small pond in this village: Should we move to the big city (suggestions on which city welcome) or stay in the village?

3) Are we still planning on putting Yu through college, yes or no?

1) Administrative aid or maybe teaching resource aid, based entirely on the fact that they pay the most. If there are more options than what was shown, then pick whichever pays the most. We need that scrilla to buy nice things!

2) Big City! There's no girls here who aren't poor, and we can probably make more money in the city. We're awesome, even if the college selection board doesn't think so. No way in hell we won't find riches and women in the city!

3) Pfft., no. college is for losers. Let's go hit it big!

echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014
1) Primary teacher's aid, nursery school aid or teaching resource aid, I feel like caring for kids could be Yus passion in life.

2) Big City

3) Meh, why not go to college?

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
1) Administrative Aid is the best paying job, and the other ones involve dealing with icky children or even worse, menial labor.

2) Big fish, indeed! Let's leave for the big city. Big city means big opportunities and potentially finding old habits and new love. Less poor people in the big city, right? Shanghai, Beijing, or Donguan are all very large, and whichever one is closer, go to!

3) College majors get more money. College-bound if at all possible.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Yu quit drugs??? :negative:

I knew we should have dodged the draft.

Anyway, Administrative Assistant for the money and the (eventual, possible) power, and definitely move to the big city to reacquire a drug habit and hopefully meet some women who are not all poor-with-a-heart-of-gold villager types. I say no college at this point, but I am unsure. Is there any chance Yu can pursue a career in criminality in the future? It would suit his absent conscience pretty well.

This is a fun LP. Also, this would make a really good iOS/Android game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dammit, I told you we shouldn't have let him join the military! He's starting to have a normal life, we must stop this now before he actually gets to live long instead of burning that candle of his life as bright as he can, as short as he can!

1) Administrative aid, farm worker, beggar. We might as well aim for his strengths: complete lack of morality, a past in the farm, and a non-existent future.
2) Big city! It is the only place for a man like Yu.
3) Go to college. We need to hook him back on drugs.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Yu quit drugs??? :negative:

Hey, he still has booze and alcohol, two completely legal ways to wreck his physical and mental health! :v:

I vote for make all the money, head to the city, and try for college again in a few years.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

1) Administrative aid or "scavenger for used goods" sounds good

2) Why would Yu go anywhere else but the Big City

3) even a punk like Yu knows to stay in school. go to collage

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
We need something whihc plays into his biggest strength. And that is his total lack of moral restrains. "scavenger of used goods". And go to the city. Maybe with this combinations we make some contacts which lead us back to our dragon chase. I mean he already stole some radios and a TV. Why stop there? Become a triad!

College is for people who can't use a knife!

I should become a youth advisor.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 20, 2016

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Administrative aid and send him to the big city.

No other job will do, they don't pay enough and/or are beneath him.

Is there a demo of this floating around btw, or an older version for free? I'm sure I remember playing it years ago, but only vaguely.

edit: how is the 2004 version?

Zoe fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 21, 2016

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I'm pretty sure scavenger for used goods is not exactly in the sense of "used car salesman", it's literally spending your days rummaging through garbage in search of usable knick-knacks. Our Yu would never stoop so low.

Move to Shanghai, work with administrative aid. Try for college again in a year or two. Maybe find some dumb-as-a-sack-of-rocks city girl with more appearance than 19 since we're apparently determined to make Yu a shallow misogynistic prick.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Try for admin aid in the big city but no college. If we don't land as an aid, we can be beggars.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

DrTempest posted:

1) Administrative Aid is the best paying job, and the other ones involve dealing with icky children or even worse, menial labor.

2) Big fish, indeed! Let's leave for the big city. Big city means big opportunities and potentially finding old habits and new love. Less poor people in the big city, right? Shanghai, Beijing, or Donguan are all very large, and whichever one is closer, go to!

3) College majors get more money. College-bound if at all possible.

I like the cut of this post's jib so I'm a second all of this.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
We should try to move, but Shanghai might be a bit far. We are currently located near Luoyang. Zhengzhou is to the east (69ish miles), which is about a third bigger in 2010 census numbers, and the largest city in the province. Or there's Xi'an, where the Terracotta warriors are, is a bit bigger then Luoyang, and 200ish miles away. Shanghai is almost 600 miles away as the crow flies.

Luoyang also isn't some backwater. Luoyang Prefecture-level City is about the size of Conetticut, and has a population of 6,549,941. (Conetticut's population is about half that). It's home to the Longmen Grottoes monument, and is probably the cradle of Chinese civilization.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...6c72215!6m1!1e1

Is it possible to just move to Luoyang proper?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 21, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
A place can be good enough to cradle civilization and still not be good enough for Yu. :colbert:

Has anyone else checked out the subreddit for this series? Not very active, but some pretty interesting runs linked on there. Also, someone claiming to be a dev is claiming to be making a Real Lives 2016!

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

FredMSloniker posted:

Hey, he still has booze and alcohol, two completely legal ways to wreck his physical and mental health! :v:

I vote for make all the money, head to the city, and try for college again in a few years.

Don't forget the cigarettes!

Also, I agree with these options.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yu is turning his life around :unsmith:

Make all the moneys, move to the big city and skip college. Many of the world's most successful businessmen never did higher education, we don't need it either

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

micropath posted:

Don't forget the cigarettes!

Derp. Booze and cigarettes, I meant to say. :downs:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
administrative aid, big city, go to college

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

Yu is turning his life around :unsmith:

Make all the moneys, move to the big city and skip college. Many of the world's most successful businessmen never did higher education, we don't need it either

This. He got rejected from college once, so he decided he was too good for college anyways.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The life of Hang Yu, part nine

Age 22

Yu goes on to pursue his dreams in the biggest city he can find, having to settle for merely the second biggest city in the world. The cities you can move to somewhat randomized, no idea what this is based on.

You'd better hang on to your hat, Beijing! Hang Yu is rolling into town!

Our map is updated to show us the location of Yu's new home.

Living in the big city also means some new, more lucrative, job opportunities! Since the thread wanted Yu to earn as much money as possible, I opt to try to find him a career as a customs official - it should suit him excellently, especially with all the opportunities it entails.

Unfortunately, all his applications are denied. It seems Yu's reputation precedes him, even in a city of 21 million people.

Instead he starts a career as a slimy salesman, in a totally not at all dubious sector of business, I'm sure. (This seemed most in character of all the options, although I realise that Yu becoming a safety inspector would have been another great choice in retrospect. Let me know if you have any suggestions for future career moves based on the new options!)

An odd thing about the way jobs work in this game: You can take an action to ask for a raise as often as you'd like, but the base salary when applying for a new job increases quite markedly as you age as well (simulating work experience etc) even though your current salary doesn't, meaning that you'll make a lot more money by reapplying for your own job at regular intervals. This effect peters out at around ~50 years of age or so, when the base salaries start to decline again. I'll be doing this behind the scenes from time to time even if we don't switch jobs.

We finally get to rearrange Yu's leisure activities, which bugged out on us earlier. You may remember that we got to pick five activities when Yu was a kid, but now that he's spending long days scamming customers and receiving shady kickbacks arranging exchanges of money for goods and services, we only get four picks.

Yu's still clinging on to his childhood dreams of art and music, as if some lost part of him still longs to please his departed father. This, in combination with his hitting the books and excessive preening leaves him little time to socialise outside of his work. Let me know if you want to switch any of his leisure activities as well!

Although he makes more money now than he did as a soldier, the higher housing costs in the city means that he'll have to cut down slightly on food expenditure to support his shopping habits and copious consumption of alcohol and nicotine.

Age 23

The girls are prettier in the city, although this one isn't quite pretty enough. It's worth nothing that a potential partners net worth doesn't account for much any more, as randomly generated adults often don't have a job before you enter into a relationship with them. They may or may not get one later, though this isn't guaranteed. Looking at their intelligence stat is usually a better way to determine their potential future profitability, at this point.

Age 24

A large famine strikes China again.

Again, Yu is unaffected (physically as well as emotionally, as he has no empathy with starving poors)

Another plain Jane is rejected by the charming, handsome and successful young Yu.

Age 25

Haha, no. This event mostly exists to guilt trip you and and give you an occasional loss of conscience, until you cave in an start given a token amount of money to charity. Quite a realistic simulation of real lives, IMO.

What's this? An opportunity for a shady deal with no guarantees and little information to go on beside the insistence of one of Yu's probably completely trustworthy friends!? What would Yu do?

You'll note that the investment is roughly equal to half of Yu's saved cash at this point.

Yu is much the same as he ever was. Intelligent, decent-looking and reasonably talented, but amazingly amoral and in terrible shape. I don't know if I mentioned it earlier but all of the stats except for happiness, conscience, and wisdom, are in comparison to your age group and not an objective measurement, which explains why the can fluctuate quite wildly especially during childhood and adolescence.

Quick vote: Should Yu agree to the deal?

Also, discussion topics for future decisions:

Should Yu find some different leisure activities?
Any new career preferences, now that some different options have opened up?
Is it time for Yu to find himself a steady relationship, or carry on with his goonish womanising ways?

Covski fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 24, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jump in the deal

I guess drop reading/study for television watching. Otherwise carry on. We Yu is too much of a fat goon good for most women, anyway. :smuggo:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Keep things as they are, and go for the deal. What could go wrong?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No Deal

Yu knows a screwjob when he sees one. He is usually on the other side of the equation afterall.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Deal
Yu is a salesperson. If the deal was shady he would know.
And if it turns out it that it is, he will learn a lesson he can apply to his work.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Better Call Saul taught me that the best scam is one where the mark believes he is scamming you. Deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Deal

Just remember to cure your inevitable future boneitis.

• Locked thread