Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Comrade Koba posted:

Pretty high Conscience stat, so we should go with Volunteering and Religious Activities

Voting this. Also the ascariasis infection that our brother came down with is one of the most horrifying worm conditions. The way the worms get to your gut is that the larva chew their into your blood vessels through your intestines, break out into your lungs, grow for a few days, and then you cough them up and swallow them. If you're particularly unlucky, you can keep getting infected with more until your entire gut is stopped up with a horrible writhing mass of footlong worms. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Covski posted:

This is a Good Post, as well as a good username/post combo. Please post stuff like this if you have any more disgusting trivia about diseases we encounter in the game!

Thanks! Fortunately there's no shortage fascinating and grotesque medical conditions in the world. If we see some other particularly interesting conditions, I'll definitely post on them.

No to boys, yes to trade school

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cathode Raymond posted:

Dr. ButtDoktor sir, while I have you here, a quick question:

Is it your medical opinion that Rasuna's childhood might be described approximately as a survival horror experience with Rasuna and her family as the protagonists and various horrific worms as the antagonists?

Surprisingly, I'd say no.

If I had to choose worm to be infected with, the hookworms that Rasuna and her family have would be probably #2 on my list. They're pretty unpleasant and also do the "pop out into the lungs and get swallowed" deal, but the worms will die off in a year or two even without medication, as long as village decides to dig a latrine and not grow their crops with night soil (human feces as fertilizer). There's extremely cheap and effective meds to get rid of them too, if her family can get access.

Now the real body invasion / worm horror happens with two of my favorites, the first of which I've actually seen in the US.

One is the pork tapeworm. If you eat under-cooked pork from an infected pig, there will be little larva hanging out in the meat, and then you'll get a tapeworm in the gut. This isn't so bad. The problem is that adult tapeworms send out eggs in their host's poop, and if you happen to eat an egg, like if an infected food-handler hasn't washed his hands, now the larva treat you as a pig. They break out of your gut, and float in your blood looking for a good place to wait until their host (you) gets eaten by another animal, so that they can become adult tapeworms. A common place they end up is your brain. They'll hang out in a cyst and live for years/decades without causing any symptoms, until they die of old age (assuming you haven't been eaten). Then, your body finally realizes it has brain worms and you start having terrible headaches or seizures when your immune system tries to fight it.

Here's a scan of a normal human brain vs one with a bunch of worms hanging out:

Each one of those little white dots inside the black circles is a worm larva.

The most horrific worm I can think of is Loa loa. You get this by hanging out in Africa or India, and then get infected with worm larva through a deerfly bite. These bad boys then go for a road trip under your skin, and are known to end up in your eyes. It's not gory, but some people might find this a bit unpleasant so I'll spoiler the picture. You treat the worm in the eye with surgery, which you can easily find on GIS if you're inclined to see something really gruesome.

tl;dr: don't eat at dirty places and wear bug spray in Africa.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Keep quiet. Rasuna is a rock.

Covski posted:

Never stop posting nauseating stuff like this please! Are you actually a literal butt doctor, by the way?

Thanks! I hope we get to see plenty more fun 3rd world diseases. I'm not a proctologist/colorectal surgeon (literally a butt surgeon). I just chose the username when I registered after having a week with an exorbitant number of butt problems/rectal exams.

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 9, 2016

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Marry that conscientious man!

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Children are the greatest riches on this Earth! Be fruitful and multiply (max kids).

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
stay

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

nerdpony posted:

It was as a result of this thread that I asked the tech (?) who was prepping me for a blood donation the other day how people who had iodine allergies (which he asked me about) avoided goiters. He didn't know. My cursory Google research has also not given me an answer.

My understanding is that when people say they have an iodine allergy, they mean that they've had a reaction to either a topical antiseptic (usually something called povidine-iodine), or they've had a bad reaction to intravenous contrast that used as part of some imaging. From what I've read, there have been no reported cases of allergies to potassium iodide salt, which will dissolve into potassium and iodide ions when you eat it. There shouldn't be an issue avoiding goiters as the people sensitive to antiseptics or contrast get enough iodine in their diet like anyone else.

I haven't looked at immunology in a while, but I don't think it's possible to allergic to iodine/iodide on its own because it's way too small for a fit with any of the immune receptors to activate an allergic/immune response. That being said, this isn't my field of expertise, so please don't go make your friend with an "iodine allergy" shotgun a liter of dissolved iodine to show him that he's wrong.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Rasuna: Iron will, iron gut, gentle heart.

Not a bad way to be.

steinrokkan posted:

Afghanistan, Iraq, DRC, Somalia, Turkish Kurdistan?

Alternatively, is it possible to start in North Korea?

I'd definitely like to see a life in one of the nightmarish parts of the world, like DPRK, DRC, somalia too. Life expectancy there being what it is, it'll probably be a quick look before we go to another, fuller life.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Even if Abdul survived, Mama Khan had a pretty serious case of gonorrhea (pelvic inflammatory disease is when the infection moves up from the cervix into the uterus, tubes, and sometimes falls out into your abdominal cavity). We would have had a 1/3 to 1/2 chance of getting infected at birth and it causing scarring of the eyes and blindness. It's probably for the best that we re-rolled instead of ending up a blind beggar in the rural 3rd world.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

HiHo ChiRho posted:

B
Male/Urban
Wang Young-Bum

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

Reading, physical training, volunteering. Quoting the education Wikipedia article, as hosted on the great Kwangmyong, Young-Bum must grow into a "man of knowledge, virtue, and physical fitness".

This. Young-bum needs to be strong and smart if he's gonna embody the Juche ideal.

• Locked thread