Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Okay. Wait. Hold up. What?

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoya

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Escape From Noise posted:

Okay. Wait. Hold up. What?

i would like to consume this thing

thank you snuff melange for the beautiful winter siggy~!

Escape From Noise

Zoya posted:

i would like to consume this thing

They're very good.

I just never associated them with a child's fist!

There used to be a place near my dad's pretty briefly that did more central Mexican cuisine, I think. But that was in high school. I got the gorditas there once. They were awesome.

Escape From Noise

Guatamalan papusas are somewhat similar and also fuckin awesome. I haven't had any of those for a while.

Escape From Noise

Oh man. Squash blossom papusas are so good!

Visions of Valerie

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

They're very good.

mfers will do anything to avoid using the metric system

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Visions of Valerie posted:

mfers will do anything to avoid using the metric system

gently caress that sensible bullshit! As soon as someone can measure a measurement then you can't grift them with it, and I'll be gosh danged before I stop trying to swindle a crawdad's worth of extra loot. Now are we trading this half pillow of salt for them them 3 cats of chocolate?

Escape From Noise

It still cracks me up that American, UK, and (many) Canadian breweries use beer barrels (31 gallons) as a measurement. And no. A beer barrel, wine barrel, whisk(e)y barrels are not all the same volumes.

cruft

Check out this noob who's never been beaten up by a gang of 8-year-olds.

Ass-penny

I was ordering a gift for a wedding I'm attending in April, apparently I have a Amazon account. I didn't remember. The card they had on file expired in 2009 lmao. so I put in my card info and they froze the account for suspicious activity. cool.

also there is nothing on the horizon but working my hands to the bone and paying bills. cool.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

Check out this noob who's never been beaten up by a gang of 8-year-olds.

Mate, if you need help dealing with bullies you can let me know. I'll help you fight some small children :)

rear end-penny posted:

I was ordering a gift for a wedding I'm attending in April, apparently I have a Amazon account. I didn't remember. The card they had on file expired in 2009 lmao. so I put in my card info and they froze the account for suspicious activity. cool.

also there is nothing on the horizon but working my hands to the bone and paying bills. cool.

cards are equally as dumb as companies are about cards. I got a new card last year and after 2 days it got locked for 'suspicious' activity. I'd only spent money on SA and Amazon. Pissed me well off that I tried to get the kid donuts and my card was locked. Looked a lot like a dick trying to figure it out in the shop when I knew I had money. Some, lovely, person chucked a 20 ahead of them to cover our order and I figured it out later, company flagged SA.
Never taken a long break from Amazon, it's just the best poo poo if you live in tiny towns. But if you could get into the account and add a source of money, they probably should have rolled with that.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
B33rChiller

Oh man. Squash blossom papusas are so good!
Oooh, thanks for the idea. I will be certain to try this when my squashes are in bloom!
One of maybe half a dozen food trucks local to my area is a papusa truck. The ladies who run it are a delight and their food is delicious. Only issue is they bugger off for the cold months, and only operate for the warmer season.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
B33rChiller

nesamdoom posted:

gently caress that sensible bullshit! As soon as someone can measure a measurement then you can't grift them with it, and I'll be gosh danged before I stop trying to swindle a crawdad's worth of extra loot. Now are we trading this half pillow of salt for them them 3 cats of chocolate?
Throw in a couple fingers of nintendo games, and it's a deal

It still cracks me up that American, UK, and (many) Canadian breweries use beer barrels (31 gallons) as a measurement. And no. A beer barrel, wine barrel, whisk(e)y barrels are not all the same volumes.

Lol. It's also the only industry where I've seen the unit hectalitres used. Legit SI unit, but weird nonetheless. No, not cubic meters or straight litres. It needs a hecta prefix to be special.

Dr. Honked posted:

xcheopis

sb hermit posted:

I hope that the passage of prop 1 is going to help them out in their endeavors.

It passed! :toot: :dance: :peanut: :yayclod:

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

B33rChiller posted:

Throw in a couple fingers of nintendo games, and it's a deal

I'll give you those fingers of Dr mario, but they won't be clContra level. For that I'd need an extra ankle of butter.

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Real Talk: Has anyone ever had a real, original Mexican gordita IRL? That poo poo. is. amazing.

Also, what region are they from?

They're so goddamn good.

Central and Southern Mexico! I prefer El Centro style but I've had a couple in Veracruz I loved too.

Also get a load of this:

*She burgin*

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

cards are equally as dumb as companies are about cards.

Gift cards are the worst. Somehow a lot of people in my family thought giving cash was tacky, so I started sending cash as a gift with a little note saying "spend this anywhere you want, on whatever you want, love uncle cruft".

Gift cards seem to me like saying "I don't trust you to make responsible decisions with money but you can't buy booze at cold stone" and/or "for your birthday I donated $20 to a company I like, and if you ever remember you have this card, you can get up to $20 worth of merchandise with it". But of course most people are going to want to get all the money out, so really it's a way of obligating the recipient to spend additional money at the company, because it will never add up to exactly $20.

VISA gift cards are even worse, though. "I gave VISA $20 and if you hurry you can get up to 95% of that money spent on something before they gobble it all up in monthly fees!"

Just give cash. It's not tacky, it's respectful.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 28, 2024

cruft

I move we stop calling them "gift cards" and go back to calling them "scrip".

sb hermit

Randy Travesty posted:

Central and Southern Mexico! I prefer El Centro style but I've had a couple in Veracruz I loved too.

Also get a load of this:

*She burgin*

:burger:

sb hermit

xcheopis posted:

It passed! :toot: :dance: :peanut: :yayclod:

:woop:

sb hermit

:coffee: :comfysamus:

B33rChiller

cruft posted:

I move we stop calling them "gift cards" and go back to calling them "scrip".

Agreed. Private, retail money isn't a great gift.
A better kind of gift certificate would be for an experience that you know the recipient would enjoy, but wouldn't spend their own money on, as they would see it as frivolous, or whatever. Occasional big deal gifts like that can be a hit.

I bought my, at the time, wife a glider tour flight gift certificate. It wasn't a ticket for a flight on a certain day, but a pre paid tour package that she could schedule at a time convenient to her. That was well received. It wasn't something she would have ever thought of on the first place, and not something she would have splashed out for. But she loved the flight and the view over the mountains and out to sea, without all the engine noise you get in powered aircraft.

Dr. Honked posted:

cruft

B33rChiller posted:

A better kind of gift certificate would be for an experience that you know the recipient would enjoy, but wouldn't spend their own money on, as they would see it as frivolous, or whatever. Occasional big deal gifts like that can be a hit.

I bought my, at the time, wife a glider tour flight gift certificate. It wasn't a ticket for a flight on a certain day, but a pre paid tour package that she could schedule at a time convenient to her. That was well received. It wasn't something she would have ever thought of on the first place, and not something she would have splashed out for. But she loved the flight and the view over the mountains and out to sea, without all the engine noise you get in powered aircraft.

That's more like a ticket where you get to pick the date and time. That's cool.

"Here kid, go spend exactly $20 at Wal-Mart" is sort of the opposite of not-tacky IMO.

cruft

Please explain how a glided tour works, I've never heard of such a thing.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

Gift cards are the worst. Somehow a lot of people in my family thought giving cash was tacky, so I started sending cash as a gift with a little note saying "spend this anywhere you want, on whatever you want, love uncle cruft".

Gift cards seem to me like saying "I don't trust you to make responsible decisions with money but you can't buy booze at cold stone" and/or "for your birthday I donated $20 to a company I like, and if you ever remember you have this card, you can get up to $20 worth of merchandise with it". But of course most people are going to want to get all the money out, so really it's a way of obligating the recipient to spend additional money at the company, because it will never add up to exactly $20.

VISA gift cards are even worse, though. "I gave VISA $20 and if you hurry you can get up to 95% of that money spent on something before they gobble it all up in monthly fees!"

Just give cash. It's not tacky, it's respectful.

For sure, a $.5 charge to use it at all means you gotta blast in one go to not waste, but it's not always that easy. My mum avoided giving me cash for my 20th, she didn't want me to waste it on booze... but she gave me a walmart card that I used on booze. Since then I have only gotten presensts that are dope as gently caress and useful.
I do understand the point of hooking people up at a shop they like, but really it's easier to ask people what they want and then just get it.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

B33rChiller posted:

Absolutely the kind of gift people should give loved ones. You know this was a baller gift, but still I wanna say it was.

B33rChiller

cruft posted:

Please explain how a glided tour works, I've never heard of such a thing.
You book a day and time, and show up, hoping the weather is nice, then you sit in the back seat of a glider, the pilot sits in front, and a small tow plane drags the glider up to altitude, and the pilot detaches, and soars around a bunch, showing you the sights until your time is up, and/or they run out of lift from thermals, then you glide back down to the runway you took off from and land.

Dr. Honked posted:

cruft

B33rChiller posted:

You book a day and time, and show up, hoping the weather is nice, then you sit in the back seat of a glider, the pilot sits in front, and a small tow plane drags the glider up to altitude, and the pilot detaches, and soars around a bunch, showing you the sights until your time is up, and/or they run out of lift from thermals, then you glide back down to the runway you took off from and land.

That sounds awesome. I didn't realize you could fit more than one person in a glider.

Escape From Noise

At the sorta crafty artsy mall the old bathroom had a butter knife on the floor between the last urinal and the first toilet. At least the stalls have doors added now...

Finger Prince

At the sorta crafty artsy mall the old bathroom had a butter knife on the floor between the last urinal and the first toilet. At least the stalls have doors added now...

The Poop Knife

sb hermit

Finger Prince posted:

The Poop Knife

the precursor to the three shells

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

sb hermit posted:

the precursor to the three shells

This guy doesn't know how the poop knife works.

this guy is me

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

B33rChiller posted:

Before the kid, I was gonna move to SLC and start skydiving every other month to work up to being able to solo whenever I wanted. Gliding seems a way more chill way to see an area than loving off out of a plane, but with almost the same level of pants making GBS threads danger.

That is dope as gently caress though and I'd love if I could do a glided tour for anywhere I go.

ToastGhost

20% cooler
If your poop is too big to flush, just cut it up with your poop knife. Alternatively you can use potty karate.

cruft

poop ninja

Escape From Noise

poo poo stirrer

ToastGhost

20% cooler
Shitnobi

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

poop ninja

if there was a fruit ninja version for poop then my kid would play that all the time and I'd probably join him

Zoya

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

B33rChiller posted:

these are neat as a concept, but if you give this to someone with lovely executive function skills, be aware of the very real possibility that they stick the certificate on their fridge and then it sits there for 2 years and ends up never used or invalid

my mom sent me a similar thing for a knife-forging class, which i went and did and it was very cool! so she took that as encouragement and proceeded to gift both my partner and i certificates for a glass-blowing class ... which, yeah, they were still on the fridge when we last moved, long gone now, rip

anyway for curiosity's sake and also cuz it whips rear end here's the knife i made:

... accidentally drafted this post rather than posting it several hours ago, whoops ...

thank you snuff melange for the beautiful winter siggy~!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Zoya posted:

it whips rear end

:hmmyes: