Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out
I'm sorry to interrupt skeletonchat and intend to do so only momentarily.

I have something I've been thinking about; would it be okay if I started a thread to think about it in?

I realize I've been using BYOB sort of like an open-mic night where I can think out loud (I assume, wrongly, that's what one does on an open-mic night); I hope that is acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthIncarnate

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I enjoyed your last thread FilthIncarnate although it seemed to exhaust you

It didn't come out right; I had my doubts about it as it was happening and the way things unfolded with it confirmed those doubts.

FluffieDuckie posted:

The description of Byob as open mic night is extremely accurate. Your threads up til now have been really interesting and if this one crashes and burns its just not a big deal

Okay thank you.

I appreciate you guys letting me ask questions and propose threads and stuff; it's helpful to talk to you.

It's a little late where I am; I might type the OP up tonight, or I might end up doing it tomorrow.

You guys are nice and I like you; thank you.

FilthIncarnate

There; part one is finished.

Thank you again for letting me post here; I know it's not the usual BYOB stuff but

it's nice to have a place where I can think out loud about things where people won't snarl at me.

FilthIncarnate

It seems like "not being awful to people all the time" is an important part of BYOB, and I very much appreciate it.

FilthIncarnate

You guys are nice. :)

FilthIncarnate

I enjoyed the CYOA and I hope you succeed.

FilthIncarnate

Is it me or has BYOB become a sort of artists' colony recently

FilthIncarnate

I, on the other hand, remain a lurker.

FilthIncarnate

Whew.

I've been posting up a storm, recently. Sometimes as often as three or four times a day.

I

frankly?

I'm tuckered out.

FilthIncarnate

Hello everyone.

I

um

I might post another art thread, soon, if that would be okay; I know everyone's kind of art-ed out, maybe, since most of you are drawing every day.

I'm hoping to switch things up in that this one wouldn't be about visual art.

FilthIncarnate

Absurd Alhazred posted:

byob really ties the forums together.

(I like Barton Fink better)

LOOK UPON ME

I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND

FilthIncarnate

Wow.

I'm sorry.

That just

slipped out.

FilthIncarnate

you can also slime in under the radar and grow big and strong in a dark, moist corner before lumbering out to post, that works too

Please don't reveal the details of my life and career without my consent.

FilthIncarnate

That is kind of both of you; thank you.

Truthfully, however, I am around quite frequently; I'm just not particularly opinionated, and I rarely have anything interesting to say.

FilthIncarnate

look upon me

i'll show you the life of the mind

FilthIncarnate

the best coen brothers movie imo

They've said they'll consider doing a sequel but only when the main actor gets really old

Working title "Old Fink"

FilthIncarnate

It's really a great movie, especially once you realize it's a thinly-veiled biopic of Clifford Odets

FilthIncarnate

In other news it seems the only reliable way to get me to post is apparently to mention "Barton Fink".

FilthIncarnate

In other other news

I have like eight chicken thighs I need to use up, and I''m just out of ideas at this point.

Anyone have a recipe that doesn't involve paella, curry, or Filth Incarnate's patented "Sunshine Chicken", a complicated and time-consuming soy sauce/honey reduction?

I've been craving something I had a couple times a few years ago, which a friend has just informed me is called "pulao", and he has a cookbook with the recipe but won't send me it because he's busy just

*sigh*

anyway

I'm open to suggestions.

FilthIncarnate

Y'all are the best.

I'm tempted to do Mr. Luvcow's idea since I have most of those ingredients on hand already, but Mr. Boner's looks delicious too.

I

hmmmmm.

FilthIncarnate

I have to jazz these up somehow.

I might end up doing something radical.

I might make a chicken mull.

I have no response to this, but I appreciate and value your contribution.

------

I need something with lots of sauce, but it probably shouldn't include milk.

How can I get this chicken wet

FilthIncarnate

I have rice wine so I'm making drunken chicken

thank you all for your advice and support during this trying time.

FilthIncarnate

:)

Another BYOB success story.

FilthIncarnate

Thank you for your recipe.

I ended up making drunken chicken thighs by gently simmering them in soy sauce and rice wine.

it turned out pretty good!

FilthIncarnate

BYOB, I had a strange weekend; may I tell you about it?

FilthIncarnate

I will discuss my weekend while the other BYOB persons go out for ice cream.

I am not sure how to discuss this, but I will try.

This weekend I attended a martial arts event in a nearby town. The term for this event is a "batizado", meaning, literally, a "baptism"; generally, they are multi-day affairs bringing together practitioners from far and wide, consisting of workshops taught by visiting masters during the day with wild drunken parties in the evenings, and, finally, on the last day, the baptism itself, wherein new students are inducted into the community and lower-ranking students are promoted to higher ranks.

I have not attended such an event in four or five years; I generally keep to myself, preferring to train alone, or to practice with one or two other people whose judgement and experience I respect.

Nevertheless I attended this weekend, in part because my training partner, an older gentleman who is well-established in the community, suggested it, and in part because I was curious to see what would happen.

Many things happened, as it turned out, including a game between myself and the high-ranking person whose school was hosting the event that quickly became ugly due to cultural and stylistic misunderstandings; this game, and the resulting fallout, dominated most of Saturday afternoon, though he and I were eventually (after a three-hour conversation) able to work out our differences, and he apologized to me for his misunderstanding.

In the end, I was afforded a level of respect usually reserved for instructors, or instructors of instructors, despite having no official school, and no official patron; it was

I was not expecting to be treated as a peer by such skilled people.

But the man with whom I had the ugly altercation (and with whom I mended fences) suggested to me that, despite my self-effacing attitude, I am a serious and competent martial artist, and that I ought to recognize that.

The presiding master also offered me his personal contact information, and told me that I could call him for any reason; many of the visiting instructors from other schools expressed an interest in training with me, or in coming to any event I might decide to host; it was

it was all very overwhelming, frankly; I am used to people treating me cruelly and dismissively; as a rule, I have come to expect that people will be

well

lovely.

So to have persons I had never met before offer me such respect and kindness, and to have them honestly praise my ability, despite our stylistic and philosophical differences,

it was a lot.

I am still processing my feelings regarding it.

FilthIncarnate

I am trying. It is difficult.

FilthIncarnate

I think my difficulty is not that I feel that I am inadequate, but that I see how

it is a very long road; there is very far to go.

I do make progress, slowly (this weekend, among other things, proved that; I am making progress), but when I look at the enormity of what remains to be accomplished

it's just a lot.

FilthIncarnate

Piso Mojado posted:

Anime has taught me that the most informally trained martial artists are often the ones who come out on top.

I can't speak to anime, but it's true that in martial arts it's better to be taught concepts that you then learn to apply to movements rather than learning movements from which you're eventually supposed to intuit concepts.

But it's a lot easier to just have your class do a bunch of rote kicks and sequences forever, even though (while that will develop physical skill) it doesn't do a lot for your ability to think.

Informally trained martial artists can be interesting and creative; they have to be way more rigorous, though, or they'll end up making stupid mistakes.

I realize you're joking around but :shrug: I'm a very literal thinker.

Robot Made of Meat posted:

What you're missing is that all of us are in the same situation. Some of us see it, some don't. Some strive to be better, some don't. But none of us are perfect. All of us need improvement. All of us crave approval.

But you are a good person with good traits. Never lose sight of that.

In the end, it's only you who decide to see the glass as half-empty or to see it as completely full of a combination of liquid and gas.

I hear you.

I think that I less crave approval than I am bewildered by it; I've gone without for so long that to have it freely offered out of the blue is

it's strange; I don't know how to handle it.

I train the way I do because of physical necessity; I'm a big guy, and doing the quick stuff (or the high flying) other practitioners favor would blow out my joints. Since I intend to keep training for the long haul, I have to move

well

slowly and deliberately, which means I have to plan out my movements three to five seconds in advance.

shinmai posted:

This is a very common problem with skilled people. Unskilled people don't have a good perspective of the enormity of a field of study, and don't realise how much they have still to learn.

Slow progress is, in my experience, a good thing. If becoming experienced at something is progressing very fast, I often find later on, that I've misunderstood something or haven't actually learned things properly.

This seems accurate.

It's just that the enormity of the things I have yet to do is

it's humbling.

Measured by how far I have left to go, I have trouble thinking of myself as especially competent or skilled.

FilthIncarnate

Sid Vicious posted:

well first I need to show you my son

He is beautiful.

FilthIncarnate

I have received a piece of snail mail from forum moderator Fluffieduckie; it contained a pleasant handwritten message, as well as two BYOB stickers.

I enjoyed receiving it very much.

Thank you.

FilthIncarnate

-bedbugs
-pantry moths
-mold
-car failure
-financial hardship caused by the above

unrelated but concurrently
-the passing of my great-granduncle (my grandmother's uncle), the last surviving member of his generation, born 1925

he was so old, actually, that he was a POW in

of all places

Nazi Germany, a time of which he never spoke.

It's been a busy couple of weeks, is what I'm saying, though I manage to lurk almost every day.

free Trapt CD posted:

hallo new posters, wb FilthIncarnate. i still think about that disingenuous poet you made a thread about a while back. which is to say that it was an interesting thread

I am glad you appreciated the thread; at the time, it did not appear to me to be well-received.

FilthIncarnate

free Trapt CD posted:

hallo new posters, wb FilthIncarnate. i still think about that disingenuous poet you made a thread about a while back. which is to say that it was an interesting thread

I went back and read it again (via Mr. Manifisto's post linking it) and I noticed that at the bottom you'd made this post:

free Trapt CD posted:

a good thread; a good find. it seems as though his well dried up at some stage and he still had backlog enough to survive him out the decades. and he clearly published the right work at the right time if his importance and stature are anything to go by, no? so maybe it's better this way, everybody benefited for longer from that brief creative period, more people were reached by his work, he paid his bills etc.?

which I had not read previously.

I am

psh.

I am tempted to engage with your line of questioning, since it is in good faith, even though you originally raised it six months ago.

I do not know whether or not this is a good idea, though that is in keeping with the nature of the thread in question, which I posted mainly to work through my own frustration.

Anyway if you would like me to try to answer the questions you have asked I could try to do so.

Normally this would be a conversation for PMs but you don't have them; sorry everyone.

I guess we could move this to the old thread so that people can chat here unencumbered.

FilthIncarnate

Please stop interfering in American elections with subliminal propaganda, you insidious Australian commie.

Thank you.

I apologize for the sharpness of my language.

FilthIncarnate

hey! i'm not insidious

You combine the wiles of the bandicoot with the amoral ruthlessness of the wallaby.

Insidious doesn't begin to describe it.

FilthIncarnate

Hello BYOB.

I wanted to thank you (collectively) for a discussion we had a year or so ago, when I was considering becoming a martial arts instructor. Recently one of my students passed an important milestone, and I probably wouldn't have ended up doing this if we hadn't had our talk, so

thank you.

I hope you have a pleasant Sunday.

FilthIncarnate

I, too, have appreciated BYOB's courtesy.

FilthIncarnate

Hello everyone.

I know y'all are making jokes and having a good time in BYOB; I thought I might post a thread anyway, at some point.

Is the forum quiet enough these days that that might be a welcome change of pace?

FilthIncarnate

Bo-Pepper posted:

we enjoy threads unless they're like hey look at all these dead people or i love racism threads

That doesn't sound like me, thankfully.

Zyla posted:

worst that happens is some :gas:

:justpost:

All right. I can't sleep anyway, so I'll type up the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthIncarnate

Nevermind; can't get it to come together.

Maybe tomorrow.